XP and Vista

=?Utf-8?B?U3BlbmNlRDg1ODU=?=

XP and Vista
Hey,

I just bought a new PC with Vista and it doesnt run all the programs I need.
I have my old XP CD and was thinking of partitioning the drive and running
both, I was looking at Vista partition software and it says I have to install
the older version first, and my partition software doesnt work with Vista.

Should I delete both, install XP, and then partition and install Vista,
seems like a long way around, any ideas?

Cheers
Dale M. White

Re: XP and Vista

I believe that's the best way of going about it. Though there is a program
called VistaBootPro, which might let you install XP and then re-activate the
Vista Boot.

As always with the Microsoft OSes, it tends to work best, or only, if you
install the oldest OS first and then the newest.

"SpenceD8585" <SpenceD8585@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> I just bought a new PC with Vista and it doesnt run all the programs I
> need.
> I have my old XP CD and was thinking of partitioning the drive and running
> both, I was looking at Vista partition software and it says I have to
> install
> the older version first, and my partition software doesnt work with Vista.
>
> Should I delete both, install XP, and then partition and install Vista,
> seems like a long way around, any ideas?
>
> Cheers

Chad Harris

Re: XP and Vista
Spenser--

You should install XP first and if you don't install the legacy OS first,
you could have some problems with the boot loader that will take you a while
to sort out. There is an onpoint MSKB that might help you:

You also may get some help in sorting this out should you elect not to use
the best practices method of installing the older OS first via this MSKB
and this free utility that is very helpful:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the
Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Vista Boot Pro ( a gui interface to sort out bootloader problems should you
have any if you elect to install Vista first)--it's an easier workaround to
using the Vista BCDEDIT that is not a gui utility, but is used via the
command prompt.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

If you go to www.microsoft.com or google or MSN search and do a search on
BCDEDIT or go to the general group and do a search I have posted about a
dozen references for BCDEDIT use.

Good luck,

CH