BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro

=?Utf-8?B?TUFDc2Ny?=

BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im gettting
the error:

Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that it
could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card, but
that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID 1
with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.
Rock

Re: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
"MACscr" <MACscr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
> for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
> vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im
> gettting
> the error:
>
> Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that
> it
> could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card,
> but
> that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID
> 1
> with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

You need to provide more info, such as what is the computer, motherboard and
chipset, what is the RAID controller and driver, the video system and
driver. Did you check the device manufacturer's web sites for Vista
compatible drivers?

That stop code suggests windows lost access to the system partition or boot
volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect
device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a
virus.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Richard Urban

Re: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
A RAID setup is very much non-standard. Add in the fact that other drivers
may not be included with the operating system and you don't know where the
problem is.

Install Vista first in a non RAID configuration. Does it install? If not,
you have other hardware/driver problems. But at least you have filtered out
the possibility that your RAID may be at fault.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"MACscr" <MACscr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
> for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
> vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im
> gettting
> the error:
>
> Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that
> it
> could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card,
> but
> that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID
> 1
> with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

=?Utf-8?B?TUFDc2Ny?=

RE: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
Here is a link to the advisor results:
http://macscr.com/vista_upgrade_advisor.pdf

"MACscr" wrote:

> I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
> for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
> vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im gettting
> the error:
>
> Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that it
> could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card, but
> that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID 1
> with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

Chad Harris

Re: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
You need to provide detail on your box, and your components, please.

How to troubleshoot "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103/en-us

Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that
includes a DELL CERC SATA 1.5/6ch RAID controller: "STOP 0x0000007B"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928632/en-us

A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930743/en-us

Log files that are created when you upgrade to Windows Vista from an earlier
version of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928901/en-us

Good luck,

CH

"MACscr" <MACscr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
> for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
> vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im
> gettting
> the error:
>
> Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that
> it
> could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card,
> but
> that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID
> 1
> with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

=?Utf-8?B?TUFDc2Ny?=

Re: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
I actually already posted my specs above. I think the advisor report is quite
detailed.

I will definitely take a look at all those kb's though (i think i had
already looked at most) and will also try and get ahold of my logs as well
and post them here.

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> You need to provide detail on your box, and your components, please.
>
> How to troubleshoot "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP
>

> Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that
> includes a DELL CERC SATA 1.5/6ch RAID controller: "STOP 0x0000007B"
>
> A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
> troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
> Windows Vista

> Log files that are created when you upgrade to Windows Vista from an earlier
> version of Windows
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>
> "MACscr" <MACscr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
> > for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
> > vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im
> > gettting
> > the error:
> >
> > Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
> >
> > I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that
> > it
> > could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card,
> > but
> > that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID
> > 1
> > with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

=?Utf-8?B?TUFDc2Ny?=

Re: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
Read through the dell raid kb and i do not have that same raid card or sys
file. Here is a copy of my setuperr.log:

http://pastebin.ca/359078

Any other logs i should post? That last log was made when i tried running my
system with all startup options turned off and only minimal services that
were needed to have the system up and still get internet access. Obviously
all anti spyware/virus were turned off. I still got the same BSOD.

I have read all the kb's that you have listed, but still no luck. Any other
ideas? A fresh install is out of the question unfortunately.

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> You need to provide detail on your box, and your components, please.
>
> How to troubleshoot "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP
>

> Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that
> includes a DELL CERC SATA 1.5/6ch RAID controller: "STOP 0x0000007B"
>
> A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
> troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
> Windows Vista

> Log files that are created when you upgrade to Windows Vista from an earlier
> version of Windows
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>
> "MACscr" <MACscr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
> > for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
> > vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im
> > gettting
> > the error:
> >
> > Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
> >
> > I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that
> > it
> > could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card,
> > but
> > that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID
> > 1
> > with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

=?Utf-8?B?TUFDc2Ny?=

RE: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
well shoot, i have tried about everything except a clean install and still no
luck. Any one know what 0x87606BA0 part of the error means? It doesnt come up
with anythign when i google it.

"MACscr" wrote:

> I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
> for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
> vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im gettting
> the error:
>
> Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that it
> could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card, but
> that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID 1
> with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

Adam Albright

Re: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:47:40 -0800, MACscr
<MACscr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>well shoot, i have tried about everything except a clean install and still no
>luck. Any one know what 0x87606BA0 part of the error means? It doesnt come up
>with anythign when i google it.

For the life of me I don't know why Microsoft insists on using cryptic
error messages unless they deliberately like to annoy people. It is
bad enough to get a error message that haults the install process you
shouldn't have to figure it out besides. These are referred to as stop
errors which obviously stops your computer dead in its tracks. It
frequently can happen during the install process of a new OS but can
happen after you OS is up and running too for a variety of reasons.

The first part is what's important. 0X0000007B. Of that the only thing
that matters is the 7B. That in itself can means several things.
Sometimes it means a boot sector virus has infected your boot sector
or it is corrupted. More often it means some driver can't get
installed or isn't compatable with Vista or that Windows for some
reason can no longer access your boot volume or partition.

Stop errors or stops for short have been laughingly called BSOD's or
the blue screen of death by Windows users. Because your system just
died. Didn't really, it just stopped responding. Some BSOD's are just
a minor annoyance, others can mean real trouble.

A good article that explains these in far greater detail can be found
below. Good idea to bookmark or better, copy and save the page. Well
worth your time to gain knowledge on this always frustrating topic.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...7-6053684.html

>"MACscr" wrote:
>
>> I am currently running xp pro with sp2 and all updates. The newest drivers
>> for all ym devices have been installed as well. I am trying to upgrade to
>> vista business, but am getting the BSOD after the first reboot. Im gettting
>> the error:
>>
>> Stop: 0x0000007B (0x87606BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>>
>> I had ran the upgrade advisor and i passed all the tests. It did say that it
>> could find any info for part of my sound card and part of my video card, but
>> that was just a side warning. Wasnt an actual stop error. Im running RAID 1
>> with two SATA drives, but everything else is pretty much standard.

=?Utf-8?B?TUFDc2Ny?=

Re: BSOD on vista upgrade from xp pro
Im familiar with all those KBs, i read those before posting. My raid is setup
fine and works great with XP Pro. My motherboard and raid controller is even
vista "certified" or whatever. I paid for an vista business UPGRADE and thats
all i plan to do. A fresh install is not an option. Looks like im basically
screwed from the looks of the replies here.