Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007
jw
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after installing
I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already activated
the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box I
just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try to
use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007
Carey Frisch [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
(w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
Enter.
The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.


"jw" <jw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84ACD2B3-B91D-4721-AB24-54549EACA3BE@microsoft.com...
I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after installing
I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already activated
the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box I
just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try to
use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007
Bistey Csaba
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
Well strictly following the EULA you cant transfer and install it to
another machine:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a
license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware
system). That device is the “licensed device.”
A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network
Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on
any other device.

Csaba

jw wrote:
> I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after installing
> I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already activated
> the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box I
> just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try to
> use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
> help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007
John Barnett MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
OEM software is for system builders and if you are not a system builder it
causes havoc when a pc goes down. I'm inclined to agree with Bistey in the
assumption that the EULA doesn't allow you to move the OEM copy to another
machine.

Having said that, I would recommend that you follow Carey's advice and
telephone the activation line to see if Microsoft will actually activate the
system for you. Unfortunately, the telephone line is automated so you may
get a negative response on first trying, 'but', and this is important, don't
put the phone down; hang on there and you will be passed to a 'real' person
to whom you can explain your situation. If the 'real' persons say's 'no you
can't activate your copy of Vista' then that is the end of the matter. I
know retail copies of the software are far more expensive but I would never
recommend buying an OEM copy of the shelf.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
mail/post..

"jw" <jw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:84ACD2B3-B91D-4721-AB24-54549EACA3BE@microsoft.com...
>I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after
>installing
> I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already activated
> the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box
> I
> just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try to
> use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
> help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007
JRB Associates
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
John,

The quick answer to the original question, regarding transferring the
license to another computer, is "it depends". If the software is OEM, then
what it depends on, largely, is who answers the phone at the activation
center. Some operators may, others may not. Strictly speaking, OEM is not
transferable to different hardware; end of story.

There are many parts to the Retail versus OEM equation, but the essence
boils down to several points. OEM (as noted) is not designed for end users
to install themselves. OEM is designed for companies who manufacture
computers. Granted, an end user may choose to be their own OEM, by
purchasing OEM software. When an OEM installs OEM software on a computer
which they manufacture, then they are obligated to support that computer;
Microsoft has no role in this. The OEM software license is tied, legally, to
the first computer which it is installed and activated on; the one which the
OEM has manufactured. If the computer becomes defective, unless the exact
same hardware is available for repair (in which case it is essentially still
the same computer), then the OEM software license expires along with the
defective hardware. This is to protect the OEM manufacturer, who cannot
possibly support hardware which they did not supply. It is for this reason
(primarily), that OEM software cannot be transferred to another computer.

By contrast, Retail software, purchased by an end user, and installed by
them on their computer, has no OEM involved. Therefore, the license is
directly between the end user and Microsoft, unlike OEM software, where the
license is between the end user and the OEM. Since the Retail license is
between the end user and Microsoft, support is provided directly by
Microsoft. Since the software is fully licensed directly to the end user
(without a hardware component), it can be moved freely between computers. It
may require a call to the activation center, but since it is Retail
software, the end user is fully able to move it as desired.

Therefore, several things need to be considered. There is nothing to prevent
an end user from becoming their own OEM; but... they need to fully
understand what they are becoming involved with. If an end user wants to
save money by purchasing OEM software, and not Retail, then they need to be
willing to accept the fact that they will be quite limited as to what
changes can be made. They cannot legally move it to a different computer;
they will be limited in how many hardware upgrades can be performed before
it becomes a "new" computer, hence no longer qualifies, they must provide
themselves support.

If an end user wants to be able to move the software at will between
computers, or perform extensive hardware upgrades, then they really should
purchase Retail. Yes, it is more money, but Retail allows all of those
changes, as often as desired, and provides support directly from Microsoft.
Unless someone knows precisely what the rules and processes are, then OEM
can be a dead end. On the other hand, if someone is totally familiar with
the process, then OEM can work fine. OEM software can have a limited life
span (the life of the original hardware), Retail software exists in
perpetuity.

Perhaps one of the biggest traps waiting to ensnare someone, could be
activating prematurely. A freshly installed version of Windows can typically
be fully used for up to 30 days prior to having to activate (assuming
automatic activation was not selected). If the end user finds within that 30
day window, that Windows does not work properly, or otherwise meet their
expectations, they can easily move the software to a different computer,
again and again, until they find the computer and configuration which meets
their expectations. Once OEM Windows is activated though, it becomes
permanently tied to that hardware.

With some careful foresight, planning and practice; the Retail versus OEM
Windows experience does not have to be a bad one.

John Baker


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2007
jw
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activatio
Sorry the copy of Vista is not an OEM copy.

"Bistey Csaba" wrote:

> Well strictly following the EULA you cant transfer and install it to
> another machine:
>
> 2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a
> license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware
> system). That device is the “licensed device.”
> A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
> a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
> licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
> that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network
> Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on
> any other device.
>
> Csaba
>
> jw wrote:
> > I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after installing
> > I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already activated
> > the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box I
> > just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try to
> > use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
> > help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?
> >

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2007
Bistey Csaba
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activatio
Iam sorry iam the one misunderstood something at the OEM part of your
first post. If its retail then you can move to another computer (EULA
telling you that too).

Csaba

jw wrote:
> Sorry the copy of Vista is not an OEM copy.
>
> "Bistey Csaba" wrote:
>
>> Well strictly following the EULA you cant transfer and install it to
>> another machine:
>>
>> 2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a
>> license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware
>> system). That device is the “licensed device.”
>> A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
>> a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
>> licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
>> that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network
>> Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on
>> any other device.
>>
>> Csaba
>>
>> jw wrote:
>>> I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after installing
>>> I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already activated
>>> the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box I
>>> just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try to
>>> use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
>>> help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?
>>>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2007
Paul Smith
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
"jw" <jw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:84ACD2B3-B91D-4721-AB24-54549EACA3BE@microsoft.com...
>I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after
>installing
> I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already activated
> the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box
> I
> just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try to
> use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
> help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?


If it is an OEM version you purchased, as John points out this may activate
after speaking to somebody or not.

If it doesn't, depending on where you live in the world you may be able to
get another copy or a refund from the retailer or supplier. For example in
the UK you could argue the goods are not fit for purpose under the Sale of
Goods Act, and get a replacement copy (with a new key and 'license) or
refund if they're unable to deliver a suitable replacement.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2007
John Barnett MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
Paul, I doubt the sale of goods act would be of much use in this case.
Relying on 'not fit for the purpose' doesn't really hold water because the
software is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
mail/post..

"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
news:9ED6B739-4A06-4AE9-BDB4-0D213743C40B@microsoft.com...
> "jw" <jw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:84ACD2B3-B91D-4721-AB24-54549EACA3BE@microsoft.com...
>>I purchased Vista U, and installed on my HP zv6000, however after
>>installing
>> I kept getting contious crashes, but unfortunately I had already
>> activated
>> the key. So now I am installing that same Vista U (same PID) on a new box
>> I
>> just bought and it tells me the PID is already in use and I need to try
>> to
>> use another key. On the HP zv6000 I am installing the OEM, but will this
>> help...What can I do? Am I screwed...do I need to buy another copy?

>
> If it is an OEM version you purchased, as John points out this may
> activate after speaking to somebody or not.
>
> If it doesn't, depending on where you live in the world you may be able to
> get another copy or a refund from the retailer or supplier. For example
> in the UK you could argue the goods are not fit for purpose under the Sale
> of Goods Act, and get a replacement copy (with a new key and 'license) or
> refund if they're unable to deliver a suitable replacement.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2007
Paul Smith
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Vista product key activation. Is it a 1 to 1 activation?
"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:%23Ku9%23rSBIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Paul, I doubt the sale of goods act would be of much use in this case.


I disagree.

> Relying on 'not fit for the purpose' doesn't really hold water because the
> software is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.


Just because it is doing what it is supposed to do doesn't mean it is fit
for purpose. If the user cannot get it activated on a machine that works
with it, then it isn't fit for the purpose of which it was sold, i.e. to be
able to use it.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Product key & Activation (Vista) Ajay Tilewale microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 1 07-10-2007 15:40
Vista Home Premium Activation with OEM Product Key JWayman microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 04-26-2007 15:42
Product Key activation =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uZWs=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 4 03-20-2007 21:31
Reinstall Vista after product key activation =?Utf-8?B?Y29maW1lcmxpbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 02-10-2007 01:46
Product Key Activation =?Utf-8?B?SHVlbGxhcyBEaWdpdGFsZXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 12-14-2006 09:49




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120