Vista multiboot

=?Utf-8?B?amF6enRhbGtlcg==?=

Vista multiboot
I know there are several topics on this already, but I'm reading things that
are seeming to give different answers and I'm confused.

I have Vista Home Premium on my computer already (came that way when I
bought it) and want to install Windows XP as well (some programs for work
don't work with Vista yet). Do I have to get rid of Vista first or can I
just partition my hard drive and add XP?

Please help, thanks!!!
Jawade

Re: Vista multiboot
In article <1CA22F39-C617-4CE5-8C92-46A8284AAEE7@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?amF6enRhbGtlcg==?= <jazztalker@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> I know there are several topics on this already, but I'm reading things that
> are seeming to give different answers and I'm confused.
>
> I have Vista Home Premium on my computer already (came that way when I
> bought it) and want to install Windows XP as well (some programs for work
> don't work with Vista yet). Do I have to get rid of Vista first or can I
> just partition my hard drive and add XP?
>
> Please help, thanks!!!

You can use a different partition and a 3rt-party bootmanager.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. ClrMBR nu ook voor meer drives
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

Re: Vista multiboot
Are you sure about that with the new BCD based bootmanager in Vista. I don't
doubt there are bootmanagers in development but going with seperate partions
as oopposed to putting the OSes on seperate hard drives seems to be causing
issues right now. I think if you have each os on seperate ahrd drive you can
use existing boot managers or select the boto order via the BIOS.

OR you have to reinstall XP first then install Vista.

I have seen some links with hokey instructions using the recovery console to
fix the boot files but the easiest route is to just reinstall xp then Vista
in my opinion.

In article <2D980909-5FB6-4FDC-BAEA-2028A1832691@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?= <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> Are you sure about that with the new BCD based bootmanager in Vista. I don't
> doubt there are bootmanagers in development but going with seperate partions
> as oopposed to putting the OSes on seperate hard drives seems to be causing
> issues right now. I think if you have each os on seperate ahrd drive you can
> use existing boot managers or select the boto order via the BIOS.
>
> OR you have to reinstall XP first then install Vista.
>
> I have seen some links with hokey instructions using the recovery console to
> fix the boot files but the easiest route is to just reinstall xp then Vista
> in my opinion.

I mean, don't use the Windows-bootmanager, only an other one. My
bootmanager works with Vista, see my sig. Only the text is in Dutch.
In short: Make a second primair partition, install HWBOOT (only
start it) and youre ready. Activate the bootmanager with an reboot
using the spacebar in begin of the boot. Choose your partition.
If you choose the 2th, the pc stops. Start a floppy with HWBOOT.COM
and remove the bootmanager starting HWBOOT.COM. Now you (he) can
start with a XP-CD and install. After the install, install HWBOOT
again.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. ClrMBR nu ook voor meer drives
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
http://jawade.nl (Mirror op http://www.geocities.com/kolibrie.geo)
Bootmanager, ClrMBR, DiskEditors, POP3lezer, Filebrowser, Kalender
CZ

Re: Vista multiboot
>> I know there are several topics on this already, but I'm reading things
>> that

are seeming to give different answers and I'm confused.
I have Vista Home Premium on my computer already (came that way when I
bought it) and want to install Windows XP as well (some programs for work
don't work with Vista yet). Do I have to get rid of Vista first or can I
just partition my hard drive and add XP?

jazztaker:

Leave the existing Vista install intact.
After you create the new primary partition (or vol if using an ext
partition), continue with the "Boot via XP CD" line from my previous post
(adjust the drive letters as necessary).

My previous post was intended to list all the steps taken during my test to
see if it was possible to install XP after Vista, not to suggest that Vista
needed to be reinstalled.

If you have a problem/question post to this thread, and I will try to
monitor the tread.

My previous post:

These are the steps I used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM.

Disk was clean (no partitions)
Boot via Vista DVD
Create C:
Install Vista into C:
Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
(D: is the CD/DVD drive)

Boot via XP CD
Select E: as target
Install XP into E:

When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol

Boot via Vista DVD
Select Repair Your Computer
Select Vistal vol
Select Startup Repair
(no notice of finding an error)
Reboot per prompt

Boot into Vista
Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
Do the BCD backup
Select "Manage OS Entries"
Select "Add new op system entry"
Select "Windows Legacy"
Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
Select drive letter E:
Select Apply

Reboot
Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

Michael Jennings

Re: Vista multiboot
What you will need to do depends how your computer manufacturer
set up system recovery for Vista, because when you install XP into its
partition (which you can create with Vista) it wipes out the Vista boot.

Since with the Windows DVD, seeing XP, Vista install is able to set up
a dual boot, it is easier to install XP first, then Vista. But for OEM, the
way will have to work with the OEM's system recovery procedure.

HP lets you burn recovery disks, for instance. Get disks before anything.