FIX bootloader to ecognized a restored OS partition

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

FIX bootloader to ecognized a restored OS partition
I have Xp installed on C and Vista on V. I restored an Acronis image of XP to
my c drive and now I no longer have the ability to boot to Vista. Vista does
not use the Boot.ini anymore. But it did put this in the boot.ini file
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.

I search the V:\ drive where vista is installed and cannot find the
BCEDIT.exe. But even if I do find it will it fix my problem. I am assuming
that when you install Vista in a dual boot configuration that it puts the
file required to give us boot options on C:

I hope I gave enough info. So how do I recreate the boot loader after
restoring my XP partition.
Thanks,
Phil

Rock

Re: FIX bootloader to ecognized a restored OS partition
"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I have Xp installed on C and Vista on V. I restored an Acronis image of XP
> my c drive and now I no longer have the ability to boot to Vista. Vista
> does
> not use the Boot.ini anymore. But it did put this in the boot.ini file
> ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
> ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
>
> I search the V:\ drive where vista is installed and cannot find the
> BCEDIT.exe. But even if I do find it will it fix my problem. I am assuming
> that when you install Vista in a dual boot configuration that it puts the
> file required to give us boot options on C:
>
> I hope I gave enough info. So how do I recreate the boot loader after
> restoring my XP partition.

Use VistaBoot Pro to help with this. It can be run either from XP or Vista.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

Re: FIX bootloader to ecognized a restored OS partition
I just checked that out and it appears to only work if you have a backup of
the XP partition from after you installed VISTA. I assume it tries to find
the BCD files from the c drive. I was hoping it could create the BCD files
from scratch and maybe allow for searching to find Vista installations on
other partitions and/or drives or prompt the user to point the app to a vista
partition.

Now today I used acronis to backup up both partitions to 1 .tib file. Do you
see a problem with restoring both partitions from an image. OR does VISTA
create a secret hidden partition somewhere?

"Rock" wrote:

> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> >I have Xp installed on C and Vista on V. I restored an Acronis image of XP
> > my c drive and now I no longer have the ability to boot to Vista. Vista
> > does
> > not use the Boot.ini anymore. But it did put this in the boot.ini file
> > ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
> > ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
> >
> > I search the V:\ drive where vista is installed and cannot find the
> > BCEDIT.exe. But even if I do find it will it fix my problem. I am assuming
> > that when you install Vista in a dual boot configuration that it puts the
> > file required to give us boot options on C:
> >
> > I hope I gave enough info. So how do I recreate the boot loader after
> > restoring my XP partition.

> Use VistaBoot Pro to help with this. It can be run either from XP or Vista.
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: FIX bootloader to ecognized a restored OS partition
"Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I just checked that out and it appears to only work if you have a backup of
> the XP partition from after you installed VISTA. I assume it tries to find
> the BCD files from the c drive. I was hoping it could create the BCD files
> from scratch and maybe allow for searching to find Vista installations on
> other partitions and/or drives or prompt the user to point the app to a
> vista
> partition.
>
> Now today I used acronis to backup up both partitions to 1 .tib file. Do
> you
> see a problem with restoring both partitions from an image. OR does VISTA
> create a secret hidden partition somewhere?
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> >I have Xp installed on C and Vista on V. I restored an Acronis image of
>> >XP
>> > my c drive and now I no longer have the ability to boot to Vista. Vista
>> > does
>> > not use the Boot.ini anymore. But it did put this in the boot.ini file
>> > ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
>> > ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
>> >
>> > I search the V:\ drive where vista is installed and cannot find the
>> > BCEDIT.exe. But even if I do find it will it fix my problem. I am
>> > assuming
>> > that when you install Vista in a dual boot configuration that it puts
>> > the
>> > file required to give us boot options on C:
>> >
>> > I hope I gave enough info. So how do I recreate the boot loader after
>> > restoring my XP partition.

>> Use VistaBoot Pro to help with this. It can be run either from XP or
>> Vista.
>> http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Vista doesn't create any secret partitions, that I know of at least.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

nickpasko

Re: FIX bootloader to ecognized a restored OS partition

Phil, I stumbled upon the very same problem, and the solution was
surprisingly simple.

The real problem is - you have misspelled the "BCDedit.exe" into
"BCedit.exe"
run the command promt (cmd.exe) and use BCDedit.exe under it.

Good luck!

--
nickpasko