file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIE1pbG5lcg==?=

file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard
My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
can't boot the machine?

thanks
Dustin Harper

Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

Put the old hard drive in the new PC as a slave and transfer files that way.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Bob Milner" <Bob Milner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I
> want
> to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
> method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
> can't boot the machine?
>
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIE1pbG5lcg==?=

Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard
If I do this, how do I tell the file transfer wizard where to find the files
on the slave?

Thanks for your help.

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> Put the old hard drive in the new PC as a slave and transfer files that way.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "Bob Milner" <Bob Milner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I
> > want
> > to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
> > method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
> > can't boot the machine?
> >
> > thanks

Rock

Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard
"Bob Milner" <Bob Milner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I
> want
> to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
> method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
> can't boot the machine?

Use Windows Easy Transfer and a USB cable.

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one
Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

lbossom@comcast.net

On Feb 15, 12:37 pm, "Rock" <R...@nospam.net> wrote:
> "Bob Milner" <Bob Mil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

I am faced with the same challenge right now. I have a hard drive
that was in an XP Home system with data that I want transferred to my
new Vista laptop. I have a hard drive enclosure and can connect the
hard drive to the new pc, but Windows Easy Transfer only works if you
can load and use it on TWO pcs with a user interface. The question I
believe many of us would like to have an answer to is - is there a way
to transfer the data (not just move files, but transfer things like IE
settings, mail settings, and calendar settings) with only one user
interface? Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?S2VudF9I?=

RE: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard

Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
drive on the Vista machine!

Kent

"Bob Milner" wrote:

> My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
> to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
> method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
> can't boot the machine?
>
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Vmlr?=

Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard
Windows Easy Transfer does not support the migration of Application and OS
Settings off-line. It can do so only when in the currently running OS.

Thanks.

"lbossom@comcast.net" wrote:

> On Feb 15, 12:37 pm, "Rock" <R...@nospam.net> wrote:
> > "Bob Milner" <Bob Mil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I am faced with the same challenge right now. I have a hard drive
> that was in an XP Home system with data that I want transferred to my
> new Vista laptop. I have a hard drive enclosure and can connect the
> hard drive to the new pc, but Windows Easy Transfer only works if you
> can load and use it on TWO pcs with a user interface. The question I
> believe many of us would like to have an answer to is - is there a way
> to transfer the data (not just move files, but transfer things like IE
> settings, mail settings, and calendar settings) with only one user
> interface? Thanks!

Gary VanderMolen

Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard
Data files are easy to transfer, but there is no way to transfer
the OS settings and program settings from a disk whose OS
can't be booted.
To transfer the data files, install the old drive as a temporary
second drive in the new PC.

Gary VanderMolen

"Kent_H" <Kent_H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F150C8C8-75FD-4AC3-9DCC-7F09EA2E24FC@microsoft.com...

> Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
> drive on the Vista machine!
>
> Kent
>
> "Bob Milner" wrote:
>
>> My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
>> to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
>> method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
>> can't boot the machine?

=?Utf-8?B?Qm91bGRlcnBlcnNvbg==?=

Re: file transfer to vista from XP computer with dead motherboard
I tried to do that, however the old drives folder structure shows up (under
disk management new drive shows up as healthy and partitioned) but the files
do not.
Any suggestions?

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Data files are easy to transfer, but there is no way to transfer
> the OS settings and program settings from a disk whose OS
> can't be booted.
> To transfer the data files, install the old drive as a temporary
> second drive in the new PC.
>
> Gary VanderMolen
>

> "Kent_H" <Kent_H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F150C8C8-75FD-4AC3-9DCC-7F09EA2E24FC@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
> > drive on the Vista machine!
> >
> > Kent
> >
> > "Bob Milner" wrote:
> >
> >> My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
> >> to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
> >> method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
> >> can't boot the machine?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybA==?=

"Kent_H" wrote:

> Here's another vote for the ability to transfer the files from a second hard
> drive on the Vista machine!
>
> Kent
>
> "Bob Milner" wrote:
>
> > My motherboard gave it up last night. The computer runs on XP pro. I want
> > to replace the machine with a new dell running vista. What is the easiest
> > method to transfer my files and settings from the old hard drive since I
> > can't boot the machine?
> >
> > thanks

Here is another vote for being able to transfer Programs, profile settings,
email from XP to Vista from slave drive. Another wringle that needs to be
worked out to convince me to migrate from XP pro to Vista.