Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista

=?Utf-8?B?Q2h1dGV1aw==?=

Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
Just got my new HP Compaq pc with XP Pro pre-installed. It's fully elgible
for a vista upgrade to the buisness edition. But it's for the familly pc? I
want home premium instead .

Surely this must be possible somehoe, it won't let me swap on the upgrade
website. Why do we want the buisness edition?

Any help on how to solve this would be great. Thanks!

,chuteuk
Adam Albright

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:54:53 -0800, Chuteuk
<Chuteuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Just got my new HP Compaq pc with XP Pro pre-installed. It's fully elgible
>for a vista upgrade to the buisness edition. But it's for the familly pc? I
>want home premium instead .
>
>Surely this must be possible somehoe, it won't let me swap on the upgrade
>website. Why do we want the buisness edition?
>
>Any help on how to solve this would be great. Thanks!
>
>,chuteuk

In typical Microsoft arrogance and stupidity they consider doing what
you want to do (I'm in a similar situtation) a "downgrade" not a
upgrade. I've had XP Pro installed for years. I got that version only
because I wanted to try the build-in file encription and a couple
other features that isn't part of the "standard" version of XP. I
tried the supposedly "better" features only part of XP Pro and didn't
end up using any of them anyway and yes... I use my computer, actual
several in business.

Fast forward to Vista. The retail packaging and marketing strongly
suggests the BEST version of Vista for MOST users is Home Premium. The
upgrade costs $160. That's what I orignally picked up. Like most
people I didn't read the fine print that says you can only do a clean
install if you already have XP Pro. Which of course is a stupid policy
and makes no sense. Since I have nearly 2 TB of files, that wasn't a
practical option. So I had to run out and buy a 2nd upgrade package,
the business upgrade version so I could install in place, which means
I'd save a week at least, avoiding having to reinsall all my software
and data files.

The business version cost me $200 to upgrade and not only contains
crap I didn't want or need, I'm stuck with that version unless I want
to do a clean install which I don't. Worse, the "business" version
doens't have all the new features I did want that the Home premium
version did; some of the newer multimedia features.

So right now I'm out of pocket $160 for a version I don't want and
can't get a refund from the store since it is "opened" software. I'll
have to go through the hassle of sending it back directly to
Microsoft, wait probably months for a credit or refund, pay UPS
shipping and for this privilage I am forced to pay $40 more for the
business version for features I didn't want and won't likely ever use
plus I lose features I did want.

Some foolish posters, aka Microsoft butt kissers which infest
newsgroups like this suggested my "solution" would have been to waste
more money and get the "Ultimate" version which does include what's in
the Home Premium, but that would cost another $50 which to me seemed a
stupid business decision.

So sorry to run on, but I see no solution to your situation aside from
throwing more money at it.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2h1dGV1aw==?=

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
So hang on, right ill just install an xp home edition on my pc instead,
because ive got a spare copy hanging around (somewhere).

Now ive done this, when i try to get my express upgrade, it only lets me
select my current o/s as XP Pro. Please i really don't wan't to pay to
DOWNgrade!!!!

Thanks for previous and new replies!!!

,chuteuk

Rock

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
"Chuteuk" <Chuteuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Just got my new HP Compaq pc with XP Pro pre-installed. It's fully elgible
> for a vista upgrade to the buisness edition. But it's for the familly pc?
> want home premium instead .
>
> Surely this must be possible somehoe, it won't let me swap on the upgrade
> website. Why do we want the buisness edition?

You cannot do an upgrade in place from XP Pro to VHP. So the logical
upgrade path is to Business. If you want the features of media center, and
the capability to do an upgrade in place then you'll need the Ultimate
upgrade.

All that said, what version is offered to you by HP Compaq is between you
and them. Nothing anyone here or at MS can do to help you to change it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?Q2h1dGV1aw==?=

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
Thanks, but as i just said i have re-installed XP Home on my HP compaq now,
but when i go to register for an express upgrade i can only select XP pro as
my o/s so what is going in MS? Please fix this!! More help would be
appreciated, as i have seen the buisness to ultimate upgrade costs!!!! Thanks

,chuteuk

"Rock" wrote:

> "Chuteuk" <Chuteuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > Just got my new HP Compaq pc with XP Pro pre-installed. It's fully elgible
> > for a vista upgrade to the buisness edition. But it's for the familly pc?
> > want home premium instead .
> >
> > Surely this must be possible somehoe, it won't let me swap on the upgrade
> > website. Why do we want the buisness edition?

> You cannot do an upgrade in place from XP Pro to VHP. So the logical
> upgrade path is to Business. If you want the features of media center, and
> the capability to do an upgrade in place then you'll need the Ultimate
> upgrade.
>
> All that said, what version is offered to you by HP Compaq is between you
> and them. Nothing anyone here or at MS can do to help you to change it.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
"Chuteuk" <Chuteuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Thanks, but as i just said i have re-installed XP Home on my HP compaq
> now,
> but when i go to register for an express upgrade i can only select XP pro
> as
> my o/s so what is going in MS? Please fix this!! More help would be
> appreciated, as i have seen the buisness to ultimate upgrade costs!!!!
> Thanks

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Chuteuk" <Chuteuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > Just got my new HP Compaq pc with XP Pro pre-installed. It's fully
>> > elgible
>> > for a vista upgrade to the buisness edition. But it's for the familly
>> > pc?
>> > want home premium instead .
>> >
>> > Surely this must be possible somehoe, it won't let me swap on the
>> > upgrade
>> > website. Why do we want the buisness edition?

>> You cannot do an upgrade in place from XP Pro to VHP. So the logical
>> upgrade path is to Business. If you want the features of media center,
>> and
>> the capability to do an upgrade in place then you'll need the Ultimate
>> upgrade.
>>
>> All that said, what version is offered to you by HP Compaq is between you
>> and them. Nothing anyone here or at MS can do to help you to change it.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

It's not handled by MS, and even if it were, this newsgroup wouldn't be the
means by which you could change it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?Q2h1dGV1aw==?=

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
I really hope asking questions over is ok!, sorry about this but, surely MS
must have some input into how they're software is being given out??? I mean
im talking of DOWNgrading from business to XP Pro here

,chuteuk

Adam Albright

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:18:10 -0800, Chuteuk
<Chuteuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I really hope asking questions over is ok!, sorry about this but, surely MS
>must have some input into how they're software is being given out??? I mean
>im talking of DOWNgrading from business to XP Pro here
>
>,chuteuk

If there are any actual Microsoft software "engineers" or "support"
people here, I suspect they are laying low seeing all the problems.
MVP's are NOT Microsoft employees. Neither am I. I guess you can
figure that out. <wink>

Rock

Re: Express upgrade from XP Pro to Vista
"Chuteuk" <Chuteuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I really hope asking questions over is ok!, sorry about this but, surely MS
> must have some input into how they're software is being given out??? I
> mean
> im talking of DOWNgrading from business to XP Pro here

You're issue is with HP Compaq and the agreement you made with them. Also
this is a peer to peer newsgroup, not official MS support. Everyone here is
just a user. If you want MS input call MS.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]