Help Start Menu

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=

Help Start Menu
On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Help Start Menu
Hi Joe,

Is the "Location" tab visible when you right-click the Pictures/Music link in the Start menu and choose Properties?

--
Regards,

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3BC57B7-4A34-47BD-8958-1A70B006E392@microsoft.com...
On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.
Chad Harris

Re: Help Start Menu/Not setup question. Post in general.
Why not post this in the Vista general group? It's not a setup question.

CH

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and
> music
> link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no
> information
> so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these
> again. I
> can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

RE: Help Start Menu
Hi Jo have you found a solution? I have the same problem but just with
pictures. it does not link to any fodler. I cant change location in
properties as the tab is not there. To the person who told jo to post
elsewhere, sorry but this is the only place i can find the same issue being
questioned. Cany anyone help figure out how to make the picture folder link
inthe start menu work again?

"Joe" wrote:

> On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
> link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
> so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
> can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Help Start Menu
Hi Mark,

Did you move the Pictures folder earlier to a removable drive and then disconnected the removable drive, by chance?

--
Regards,

"Joe" wrote:

> On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
> link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
> so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
> can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Re: Help Start Menu
problem solved through regedit - thanks anyway

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Did you move the Pictures folder earlier to a removable drive and then disconnected the removable drive, by chance?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:680413AE-25E0-4F48-9525-6427FD9D608F@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jo have you found a solution? I have the same problem but just with
> pictures. it does not link to any fodler. I cant change location in
> properties as the tab is not there. To the person who told jo to post
> elsewhere, sorry but this is the only place i can find the same issue being
> questioned. Cany anyone help figure out how to make the picture folder link
> inthe start menu work again?
>
> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
> > link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
> > so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
> > can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Help Start Menu
No probs.

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Did you move the Pictures folder earlier to a removable drive and then disconnected the removable drive, by chance?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:680413AE-25E0-4F48-9525-6427FD9D608F@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jo have you found a solution? I have the same problem but just with
> pictures. it does not link to any fodler. I cant change location in
> properties as the tab is not there. To the person who told jo to post
> elsewhere, sorry but this is the only place i can find the same issue being
> questioned. Cany anyone help figure out how to make the picture folder link
> inthe start menu work again?
>
> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
> > link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
> > so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
> > can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.

=?Utf-8?B?cmVuZQ==?=

Re: Help Start Menu
Hi - I have exactly the same problem - what is the regedit respolution please?

"Mark" wrote:

> problem solved through regedit - thanks anyway
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Did you move the Pictures folder earlier to a removable drive and then disconnected the removable drive, by chance?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:680413AE-25E0-4F48-9525-6427FD9D608F@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Jo have you found a solution? I have the same problem but just with
> > pictures. it does not link to any fodler. I cant change location in
> > properties as the tab is not there. To the person who told jo to post
> > elsewhere, sorry but this is the only place i can find the same issue being
> > questioned. Cany anyone help figure out how to make the picture folder link
> > inthe start menu work again?
> >
> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> > > On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
> > > link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
> > > so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
> > > can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Help Start Menu
Hi,

See "Method 2: Using Registry Editor" in this article:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/95/1/

In the registry key mentioned in that article, you can see/change where the shell folder paths are pointing to.

--
Regards,

"Mark" wrote:

> problem solved through regedit - thanks anyway
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Did you move the Pictures folder earlier to a removable drive and then disconnected the removable drive, by chance?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:680413AE-25E0-4F48-9525-6427FD9D608F@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Jo have you found a solution? I have the same problem but just with
> > pictures. it does not link to any fodler. I cant change location in
> > properties as the tab is not there. To the person who told jo to post
> > elsewhere, sorry but this is the only place i can find the same issue being
> > questioned. Cany anyone help figure out how to make the picture folder link
> > inthe start menu work again?
> >
> > "Joe" wrote:
> >
> > > On the right panel of the start menu when i click on the pictures and music
> > > link nothing happens. When i look in their properties there is no information
> > > so they are not linked to the relevant file. How can i re link these again. I
> > > can't do it through properties as there is no information in there.

=?Utf-8?B?cmVuZQ==?=

Re: Help Start Menu
Ramesh,

Thank you for your help - the link is very clearly presented.

I used regedit to set values back to their default settings and took it from
there. Under my user name, a couple of the folders - music and pictures were
not there so I created new folders and then pointed these at my data - it all
works perfectly.

One small pont though is that these newly created folders have a standard
buff coloured folder icon, as opposed to the original green icon. How can I
change the icon look back (I can not see the green icons in the standard icon
list)?

Regards

Rene