The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use

Grant

The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use
I got this message today after installing windows vista last tuesday. i
brought it on Ebay and the person said it was brand new, i brought it from a
reputable seller with over 2000 sells. And I honestly bleaved it to be a
geniune version. He stated it was brand new and never used or needed. what
should i do to get it up and running again ( It has been running perfectly OK
the past week). my version is windows vista home premium.

what should i do will reformating help or should i ring microsoft or
something else,

please give tutorial with what to do or say,

thanks
John Barnes

Re: The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use
It is obvious the seller lied and it was previously installed and activated.
Assuming that it is no longer installed, you could use telephone activation
and if necessary stay on the line and explain to the operator. If they
activate yours, the previous (or any others sold) will be deactivated and
you will find the same if someone else subsequently activates on their
machine. I suggest you contact the seller, then eBay if necessary.

"Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got this message today after installing windows vista last tuesday. i
> brought it on Ebay and the person said it was brand new, i brought it from
> reputable seller with over 2000 sells. And I honestly bleaved it to be a
> geniune version. He stated it was brand new and never used or needed. what
> should i do to get it up and running again ( It has been running perfectly
> OK
> the past week). my version is windows vista home premium.
>
> what should i do will reformating help or should i ring microsoft or
> something else,
>
> please give tutorial with what to do or say,
>
> thanks

Bruce Chambers

Grant wrote:
> I got this message today after installing windows vista last tuesday. i
> brought it on Ebay and the person said it was brand new, i brought it from a
> reputable seller with over 2000 sells. And I honestly bleaved it to be a
> geniune version. He stated it was brand new and never used or needed. what
> should i do to get it up and running again ( It has been running perfectly OK
> the past week). my version is windows vista home premium.
>
> what should i do will reformating help or should i ring microsoft or
> something else,
>
> please give tutorial with what to do or say,
>
> thanks

You have been defrauded.

1) Contact the seller and demand either a refund or a legitimate license.

2) File a complaint with eBay.

3) If the seller is in the same country as you, file a complaint with
the appropriate law enforcement agencies.

4) If you paid with a credit card or personal check, contact your bank
and have that account closed immediately. You will have given your
personal financial "keys" to a proven thief.

5) Chalk this up as an expensive lesson and buy a legitimate license
from a real vendor, not someone who hides behind an alias on an on-line
auction site.

Getting a legitimate license of any kind from eBay is something of
a crap shoot. One should be very careful buying any software on eBay,
as eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales are legitimate.
The problems stem from two completely different sources, but have the
same results: the buyer gets ripped off. A great many people don't fully
understand the terms of the license they own, and don't understand that
they cannot legitimately resell it, and - worse still - there are a
great many sellers who do know that they're selling bogus licenses. eBay
reacts only when someone files a complaint, and then all that really
happens, especially in the case of the many deliberate fraudsters, is
the seller of the pirated software returns using a different alias, to
continue selling illegitimate licenses.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
John Barnes

Re: The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use
A little harsh IMO. There are many legitimate 'stores' that sell thru eBay,
but as regards to individual sellers, caveat emptor.

> Grant wrote:
>> I got this message today after installing windows vista last tuesday. i
>> brought it on Ebay and the person said it was brand new, i brought it
>> from a reputable seller with over 2000 sells. And I honestly bleaved it
>> to be a
>> geniune version. He stated it was brand new and never used or needed.
>> what should i do to get it up and running again ( It has been running
>> perfectly OK the past week). my version is windows vista home premium.
>>
>> what should i do will reformating help or should i ring microsoft or
>> something else,
>>
>> please give tutorial with what to do or say,
>>
>> thanks

> You have been defrauded.
>
> 1) Contact the seller and demand either a refund or a legitimate license.
>
> 2) File a complaint with eBay.
>
> 3) If the seller is in the same country as you, file a complaint with the
> appropriate law enforcement agencies.
>
> 4) If you paid with a credit card or personal check, contact your bank
> and have that account closed immediately. You will have given your
> personal financial "keys" to a proven thief.
>
> 5) Chalk this up as an expensive lesson and buy a legitimate license from
> a real vendor, not someone who hides behind an alias on an on-line auction
> site.
>
> Getting a legitimate license of any kind from eBay is something of a
> crap shoot. One should be very careful buying any software on eBay, as
> eBay makes no prior effort to ensure that such sales are legitimate. The
> problems stem from two completely different sources, but have the same
> results: the buyer gets ripped off. A great many people don't fully
> understand the terms of the license they own, and don't understand that
> they cannot legitimately resell it, and - worse still - there are a great
> many sellers who do know that they're selling bogus licenses. eBay reacts
> only when someone files a complaint, and then all that really happens,
> especially in the case of the many deliberate fraudsters, is the seller of
> the pirated software returns using a different alias, to continue selling
> illegitimate licenses.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Bruce Chambers

John Barnes wrote:
> A little harsh IMO.

Perhaps, but I don't think so.

> There are many legitimate 'stores' that sell thru
> eBay,

Why would any legitimate "store" sell through eBay, rather than via its
own web site? Web hosting services are dirt cheap, these days. The
only advantage gained by using eBay, that I can see, is an added layer
of anonymity. And what honest vendor wishes to remain unknown to
potential customers?

> .... but as regards to individual sellers, caveat emptor.

Most definitely.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
DevilsPGD

Re: The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use
In message <#38YuT6AIHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> Why would any legitimate "store" sell through eBay, rather than via its
>own web site? Web hosting services are dirt cheap, these days. The
>only advantage gained by using eBay, that I can see, is an added layer
>of anonymity. And what honest vendor wishes to remain unknown to
>potential customers?

Advertising...

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use
You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
(w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
Enter.
The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

"Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9D87302-BD05-49C5-BAB3-879D1EEBAB66@microsoft.com...
I got this message today after installing windows vista last tuesday. i
brought it on Ebay and the person said it was brand new, i brought it from a
reputable seller with over 2000 sells. And I honestly bleaved it to be a
geniune version. He stated it was brand new and never used or needed. what
should i do to get it up and running again ( It has been running perfectly OK
the past week). my version is windows vista home premium.

what should i do will reformating help or should i ring microsoft or
something else,

please give tutorial with what to do or say,

thanks
John Barnes

Re: The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use

> Why would any legitimate "store" sell through eBay, rather than via its
> own web site? Web hosting services are dirt cheap, these days. The only
> advantage gained by using eBay, that I can see, is an added layer of
> anonymity. And what honest vendor wishes to remain unknown to potential
> customers?

Many have their own websites, but find it hard to attract customers to those
sites. eBay is a cheap way to 'advertise' and have access to millions of
potential customers for a low price. Amazon, PriceGrabber, Yahoo and many
more have similar setups.

Rick Rogers

Re: The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use
> Why would any legitimate "store" sell through eBay, rather than via its
> own web site?

Target audience. You can promote a site all you want, but eBay is instant
access to millions of potential buyers.

> Web hosting services are dirt cheap, these days.

True enough, but you still have to have someone knowledgable to build an
attractive site, pay for advertising, and a means for transacting the
purchase. eBay provides for those last two much cheaper than would be
possible by individual contracting of those services.

> The only advantage gained by using eBay, that I can see, is an added layer
> of anonymity.

No, the chief advantage is the ability of reaching a huge audience with your
product.

> And what honest vendor wishes to remain unknown to potential customers?

Most include contact information, including phone numbers and business
location. In addition a fair majority use eBay to supplement their sales,
not as a primary venue.

Grant should simply use the phone activation method as the key was likely
used, but may now be no longer in use. There is no illegitimacy in selling
it provided it has been removed from any previous system it was installed
on, though advertising it as "never used" may have been unintentionally
deceptive (it may have actually been a return by someone who stated they did
not activate it, so the store would not know of this).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> John Barnes wrote:
>> A little harsh IMO.

> Perhaps, but I don't think so.
>

>> There are many legitimate 'stores' that sell thru eBay,

> Why would any legitimate "store" sell through eBay, rather than via its
> own web site? And what honest vendor wishes to remain unknown
> to potential customers?
>

>> .... but as regards to individual sellers, caveat emptor.
>>

> Most definitely.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Mick Murphy

Re: The Product Key You Typed Is Already In Use
I've bought software off eBay with no probs.
But, I have made sure that they are IT companies that do have a shopfront in
a real world street in my country!
That way, I can at least knock on their door if there are any hassles.