Difference between Vista OEM and non OEM

=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

Difference between Vista OEM and non OEM
I've been thinking of purchasing vista home premium. What i want to know is,
if you have an OEM version and you want to install the operating system on a
new hard drive, will it let you? I've heard that OEM can only be installed on
one system and non-OEM can be put on another computer. I hardly have a clue
what I'm talking about and if anyone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks
-Tom
Rock

Re: Difference between Vista OEM and non OEM
"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I've been thinking of purchasing vista home premium. What i want to know
> is,
> if you have an OEM version and you want to install the operating system on
> new hard drive, will it let you? I've heard that OEM can only be installed
> on
> one system and non-OEM can be put on another computer. I hardly have a
> clue
> what I'm talking about and if anyone could help me out that would be
> great.

Yes you can reinstall OEM Vista on a different hard drive as long as it's
used in the same computer. It can't be moved to a different computer. You
will have to call for activation.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Difference between Vista OEM and non OEM
In addition to what Rock told you, OEM suppliers are responsible for
support.. having purchased an OEM version, by installing it yourself, you
become liable for support of your own product..

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been thinking of purchasing vista home premium. What i want to know
> is,
> if you have an OEM version and you want to install the operating system on
> new hard drive, will it let you? I've heard that OEM can only be installed
> on
> one system and non-OEM can be put on another computer. I hardly have a
> clue
> what I'm talking about and if anyone could help me out that would be
> great.
>
> Thanks
> -Tom

Donald McDaniel

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> In addition to what Rock told you, OEM suppliers are responsible for
> support.. having purchased an OEM version, by installing it yourself, you
> become liable for support of your own product..
>

> "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've been thinking of purchasing vista home premium. What i want to know
>> is,
>> if you have an OEM version and you want to install the operating system on
>> new hard drive, will it let you? I've heard that OEM can only be installed
>> on
>> one system and non-OEM can be put on another computer. I hardly have a clue
>> what I'm talking about and if anyone could help me out that would be great.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Tom

"Liable for support of your own product"? That sounds as if a user has been
"found guilty" of using OEM products.

I'm sure that's not quite what you meant.

Perhaps "responsible for your own support" would have been a better phrase?

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.