downgrade from Vista to XP

=?Utf-8?B?dnJvb21ldm8=?=

downgrade from Vista to XP
Hello all.
I bought a notebook with already installed Win Vista.
I am wondering if i can downgrade to Windows XP.
Any inputs?

Adam Albright

Re: downgrade from Vista to XP
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:34:05 -0800, vroomevo
<vroomevo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello all.
>I bought a notebook with already installed Win Vista.
>I am wondering if i can downgrade to Windows XP.
>Any inputs?

Avoiding the obvious question WHY you didn't buy a notebook with XP
installed, you can of course always do a clean install and start with
a blank hard drive and then run out any buy a copy of XP, you probably
would be best with a OEM version. This course assumes you're also
willing to reinstall all your software which I'm guessing you probably
don't have CD's for with all your software being preinstalled. If you
bought a name brand notebook see if you can exchange. Even if you have
to eat a restocking fee you'll probably come out ahead in avoiding the
task of having to reinstall everything, which even on a new notebook
can be a pain. Then again a lot of the included software is probably
just shoveware you'll rarely if ever use anyway.

BigJim

Re: downgrade from Vista to XP
just make sure you can get the xp drivers for your laptop with Vista coming
on all new computers the xp drivers may not be out there.

"vroomevo" <vroomevo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
> I bought a notebook with already installed Win Vista.
> I am wondering if i can downgrade to Windows XP.
> Any inputs?

Brian

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:34:05 -0800, vroomevo
> <vroomevo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello all.
> >I bought a notebook with already installed Win Vista.
> >I am wondering if i can downgrade to Windows XP.
> >Any inputs?

> Avoiding the obvious question WHY you didn't buy a notebook with XP
> installed, you can of course always do a clean install and start with
> a blank hard drive and then run out any buy a copy of XP, you probably
> would be best with a OEM version. This course assumes you're also
> willing to reinstall all your software which I'm guessing you probably
> don't have CD's for with all your software being preinstalled. If you
> bought a name brand notebook see if you can exchange. Even if you have
> to eat a restocking fee you'll probably come out ahead in avoiding the
> task of having to reinstall everything, which even on a new notebook
> can be a pain. Then again a lot of the included software is probably
> just shoveware you'll rarely if ever use anyway.

Depending on the version of Vista there are downgrade rights that may apply
without having to purchase a copy of XP. I don't know all the details
yet....that's why I'm here.

Cheers,