how many activations?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

how many activations?
I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just about
killed the machine.

So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard disk
are being replaced)

I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd burner,
etc etc.
Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be reinstalling.

I read that I can only reactivate once?
Is this the case?
I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades, general
reinstalls, crashes and the like.

I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this before
I have to spend another $400

I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
Anyone know for sure?
Richard G. Harper

Re: how many activations?
No this is not the case.

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
> I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
> about
> killed the machine.
>
> So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard disk
> are being replaced)
>
> I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
> burner,
> etc etc.
> Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
> reinstalling.
>
> I read that I can only reactivate once?
> Is this the case?
> I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
> general
> reinstalls, crashes and the like.
>
> I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
> before
> I have to spend another $400
>
> I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
> Anyone know for sure?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Re: how many activations?
Hi Richard,

I called support and asked them this after I posted this question, and the
answer I got from someone... after being transferred around a bunch was 3
clean installs
(Does not seem to make sense)

So, you got me there.
Basically, what I was told is that you can change whatever hardware you
want, as long as you don't reinstall it.
This is contrary to what I have read and understand from past versions like
XP.

I constantly reactivated XP because it never liked some hardware changes
like, for example, video cards and I did this without issue.

So, I am confused now. 3 'clean' installs only per Microsoft support...
Or, .....

Any ideas?
Last thing I want to do is not be able to upgrade without buying copies of
windows.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> No this is not the case.

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
> > I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
> > about
> > killed the machine.
> >
> > So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard disk
> > are being replaced)
> >
> > I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
> > burner,
> > etc etc.
> > Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
> > reinstalling.
> >
> > I read that I can only reactivate once?
> > Is this the case?
> > I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
> > general
> > reinstalls, crashes and the like.
> >
> > I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
> > before
> > I have to spend another $400
> >
> > I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
> > Anyone know for sure?

Ghostrider

Re: how many activations?
Mark wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I called support and asked them this after I posted this question, and the
> answer I got from someone... after being transferred around a bunch was 3
> clean installs
> (Does not seem to make sense)
>
> So, you got me there.
> Basically, what I was told is that you can change whatever hardware you
> want, as long as you don't reinstall it.
> This is contrary to what I have read and understand from past versions like
> XP.
>
> I constantly reactivated XP because it never liked some hardware changes
> like, for example, video cards and I did this without issue.
>
> So, I am confused now. 3 'clean' installs only per Microsoft support...
> Or, .....
>
> Any ideas?
> Last thing I want to do is not be able to upgrade without buying copies of
> windows.

The Vista reviewers did mention the possibility of limited activations. The
obvious alternative would be to create your own recovery disc or image file
and select a good rollback point. Perhaps Ghost or TrueImage will work with
Vista, as they did with Windows XP users in this manner.
Rock

Re: how many activations?
"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
> I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
> about
> killed the machine.
>
> So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard disk
> are being replaced)
>
> I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
> burner,
> etc etc.
> Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
> reinstalling.
>
> I read that I can only reactivate once?
> Is this the case?
> I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
> general
> reinstalls, crashes and the like.
>
> I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
> before
> I have to spend another $400
>
> I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
> Anyone know for sure?

Read the Vista license agreement. From Start | winver, click on the
hyperlink. You can reinstall / reactivate a retail version of Vista as many
times as you want. It can be moved to another computer, as many times as
you want. It just can't be installed on two devices at the same time. If
activation doesn't go through on the internet, then do the phone activation.

The original iteration of the license last year limited it to one reinstall.
Due to an outcry that was changed. It is the same as in XP.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Re: how many activations?
Yeah, I guess it does kinda/sorta say that in the EULA.

I guess RTFM applies here.
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses.

"Rock" wrote:

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> >I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
> > I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
> > about
> > killed the machine.
> >
> > So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard disk
> > are being replaced)
> >
> > I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
> > burner,
> > etc etc.
> > Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
> > reinstalling.
> >
> > I read that I can only reactivate once?
> > Is this the case?
> > I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
> > general
> > reinstalls, crashes and the like.
> >
> > I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
> > before
> > I have to spend another $400
> >
> > I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
> > Anyone know for sure?

> Read the Vista license agreement. From Start | winver, click on the
> hyperlink. You can reinstall / reactivate a retail version of Vista as many
> times as you want. It can be moved to another computer, as many times as
> you want. It just can't be installed on two devices at the same time. If
> activation doesn't go through on the internet, then do the phone activation.
>
> The original iteration of the license last year limited it to one reinstall.
> Due to an outcry that was changed. It is the same as in XP.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: how many activations?
You're welcome.

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Yeah, I guess it does kinda/sorta say that in the EULA.
>
> I guess RTFM applies here.
> Thanks guys I appreciate the responses.
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> >I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
>> > I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
>> > about
>> > killed the machine.
>> >
>> > So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard
>> > disk
>> > are being replaced)
>> >
>> > I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
>> > burner,
>> > etc etc.
>> > Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
>> > reinstalling.
>> >
>> > I read that I can only reactivate once?
>> > Is this the case?
>> > I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
>> > general
>> > reinstalls, crashes and the like.
>> >
>> > I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
>> > before
>> > I have to spend another $400
>> >
>> > I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
>> > Anyone know for sure?

>> Read the Vista license agreement. From Start | winver, click on the
>> hyperlink. You can reinstall / reactivate a retail version of Vista as
>> many
>> times as you want. It can be moved to another computer, as many times as
>> you want. It just can't be installed on two devices at the same time.
>> If
>> activation doesn't go through on the internet, then do the phone
>> activation.
>>
>> The original iteration of the license last year limited it to one
>> reinstall.
>> Due to an outcry that was changed. It is the same as in XP.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Richard G. Harper

Re: how many activations?
Not to disparage live support (if you want to call it support) but as you've
discovered, read the EULA that came with your software and your agreement
with Microsoft is there. It should be no real problem, just as it was no
real problem with XP.

> Hi Richard,
>
> I called support and asked them this after I posted this question, and the
> answer I got from someone... after being transferred around a bunch was 3
> clean installs
> (Does not seem to make sense)
>
> So, you got me there.
> Basically, what I was told is that you can change whatever hardware you
> want, as long as you don't reinstall it.
> This is contrary to what I have read and understand from past versions
> like
> XP.
>
> I constantly reactivated XP because it never liked some hardware changes
> like, for example, video cards and I did this without issue.
>
> So, I am confused now. 3 'clean' installs only per Microsoft support...
> Or, .....
>
> Any ideas?
> Last thing I want to do is not be able to upgrade without buying copies of
> windows.
>

> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> No this is not the case.

>> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
>> > I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
>> > about
>> > killed the machine.
>> >
>> > So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard
>> > disk
>> > are being replaced)
>> >
>> > I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
>> > burner,
>> > etc etc.
>> > Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
>> > reinstalling.
>> >
>> > I read that I can only reactivate once?
>> > Is this the case?
>> > I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
>> > general
>> > reinstalls, crashes and the like.
>> >
>> > I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
>> > before
>> > I have to spend another $400
>> >
>> > I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
>> > Anyone know for sure?

Mark

Re: how many activations?

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>>I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
>> I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
>> about
>> killed the machine.
>>
>> So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard
>> disk
>> are being replaced)
>>
>> I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
>> burner,
>> etc etc.
>> Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
>> reinstalling.
>>
>> I read that I can only reactivate once?
>> Is this the case?
>> I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
>> general
>> reinstalls, crashes and the like.
>>
>> I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
>> before
>> I have to spend another $400
>>
>> I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
>> Anyone know for sure?

> Read the Vista license agreement. From Start | winver, click on the
> hyperlink. You can reinstall / reactivate a retail version of Vista as
> many times as you want. It can be moved to another computer, as many
> times as you want. It just can't be installed on two devices at the same
> time. If activation doesn't go through on the internet, then do the phone
> activation.
>
> The original iteration of the license last year limited it to one
> reinstall. Due to an outcry that was changed. It is the same as in XP.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

How do they know if it's installed on more that 1 machine?

Rock

Re: how many activations?
"Mark" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>>>I upgrade my computer usually 2-3 times a year.
>>> I installed Vista Ultimate recently and I had a tragic event and just
>>> about
>>> killed the machine.
>>>
>>> So, I have had to rebuild the machine (Motherboard, CPU, ram and hard
>>> disk
>>> are being replaced)
>>>
>>> I am keeping the same video cards, monitor, case, power supply, dvd
>>> burner,
>>> etc etc.
>>> Since I am changing the underlying components no doubt I will be
>>> reinstalling.
>>>
>>> I read that I can only reactivate once?
>>> Is this the case?
>>> I have reactivated XP Pro more times than I can count over upgrades,
>>> general
>>> reinstalls, crashes and the like.
>>>
>>> I would really like to know how many times I will be able to do this
>>> before
>>> I have to spend another $400
>>>
>>> I am seriously hoping it is not 2, if so I will simply go back to XP.
>>> Anyone know for sure?

>> Read the Vista license agreement. From Start | winver, click on the
>> hyperlink. You can reinstall / reactivate a retail version of Vista as
>> many times as you want. It can be moved to another computer, as many
>> times as you want. It just can't be installed on two devices at the same
>> time. If activation doesn't go through on the internet, then do the
>> phone activation.
>>
>> The original iteration of the license last year limited it to one
>> reinstall. Due to an outcry that was changed. It is the same as in XP.

> How do they know if it's installed on more that 1 machine?

I don't know how the MS servers keep track of things. But whatever
protection systems are in place, it all comes down to the integrity of the
person. If you want to lie you can get away with some things.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]