Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help

spencertaylor@gmail.com

Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help
Hey everyone;

I just did a clean install of Vista last night. I have been adding my
programs, data, etc.
All of a sudden IE 7 stops working. I get an error message for it
starting, it doesn't crash or act weird, it just doesn't work at all.
FireFox is totally fine, and my internet connection is fine.

So, what to do? Can you reinstall IE 7 from something? I tried
downloading it from the MS site, but it wouldn't let me because it
said that IE 7 was a part of Vista.

Is there a way to restore IE from the Vista disc? Where.

Can I run some type of repair install, but not lose the drivers I
downladed?

Please! Someone help me!

Frankster

Re: Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help
IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | [Reset IE]. Close, reopen.

-Frank

<spencertaylor@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171477844.123880.186820@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Hey everyone;
>
> I just did a clean install of Vista last night. I have been adding my
> programs, data, etc.
> All of a sudden IE 7 stops working. I get an error message for it
> starting, it doesn't crash or act weird, it just doesn't work at all.
> FireFox is totally fine, and my internet connection is fine.
>
> So, what to do? Can you reinstall IE 7 from something? I tried
> downloading it from the MS site, but it wouldn't let me because it
> said that IE 7 was a part of Vista.
>
> Is there a way to restore IE from the Vista disc? Where.
>
> Can I run some type of repair install, but not lose the drivers I
> downladed?
>
> Please! Someone help me!

Frankster

Re: Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help
Sorry, didn't notice your "it doesn't work at all" statement. Don't know if
you can do this or not.

-Frank

spencertaylor@gmail.com

On Feb 14, 1:39 pm, "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
> Sorry, didn't notice your "it doesn't work at all" statement. Don't know if
> you can do this or not.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

> > IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | [Reset IE]. Close, reopen.

> > -Frank

I can't, it won't open, and there isn't a regular icon for IE 7 on the
desktop (I believe) like with XP, where you could right-click and hit
properties, etc.

Chad Harris

Re: Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Try This.
Spencer--

It seems like people are posting general Vista problems in the setup group.
Why I don't know but...

I think this will solve your problem.

Try running SFC (System
File Checker) Run SFC (System File Checker) from an elevated command prompt.
It replaces files that are damaged with intact ones:

Start>right click cmd>run as admin>type at the prompt sfc /scannow.

It is run this way--and it fixes more
things than no boot Vista:

You can run Startup Repair by putting your Vista DVD in after the
language screen in setup. You can also run System Restore from the same
location.

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

Note The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For
information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a
DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
2. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to
the Lock button, and then click Restart.

This usually means that you enter bios setup by whatever key or keys
(sometimes there is more than one key that will do it for your model--go to
pc manufacturer site) and configure CD to be first in the boot order.

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Note If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power
button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.

3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.

Note In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you
do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system
that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the
repair process.

7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

Additional References for Startup Repair With Screenshots:

How to Use Startup Repair:

***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options in the
lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)
http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui...4/500x375.aspx

Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"
http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img...SysRecOpt2.bmp

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

3) Select your OS for repair.

4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash from
theWin RE feature:

You'll have a choice there of using:

1) Startup Repair
2) System Restore
3) Complete PC Restore

Good luck,

CH

<spencertaylor@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1171477844.123880.186820@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Hey everyone;
>
> I just did a clean install of Vista last night. I have been adding my
> programs, data, etc.
> All of a sudden IE 7 stops working. I get an error message for it
> starting, it doesn't crash or act weird, it just doesn't work at all.
> FireFox is totally fine, and my internet connection is fine.
>
> So, what to do? Can you reinstall IE 7 from something? I tried
> downloading it from the MS site, but it wouldn't let me because it
> said that IE 7 was a part of Vista.
>
> Is there a way to restore IE from the Vista disc? Where.
>
> Can I run some type of repair install, but not lose the drivers I
> downladed?
>
> Please! Someone help me!

Chad Harris

Re: Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help
Spencer--

I should have edited that last post a bit. What I'm saying to do is run SFC
the way I showed you, and if it doesn't fix IE, then run Startup Repair (you
don't have to have a startup problem to use it to fix problems like yours,
but you do have to have a Vista DVD.

CH

news:1171479260.092560.241080@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...

spencertaylor@gmail.com

On Feb 14, 2:24 pm, "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote:
> Spencer--
>
> I should have edited that last post a bit. What I'm saying to do is run SFC
> the way I showed you, and if it doesn't fix IE, then run Startup Repair (you
> don't have to have a startup problem to use it to fix problems like yours,
> but you do have to have a Vista DVD.
>
> CH
>
> <spencertay...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1171479260.092560.241080@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
>

> > On Feb 14, 1:39 pm, "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
> >> Sorry, didn't notice your "it doesn't work at all" statement. Don't know
> >> if
> >> you can do this or not.

> >> -Frank

> >> "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

> > I can't, it won't open, and there isn't a regular icon for IE 7 on the
> > desktop (I believe) like with XP, where you could right-click and hit
> > properties, etc.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Chad, I will give it a try.
I am fairly skilled in XP, but I am new to Vista.
Also, this is the only OS on my main PC right now, so I need IE to
work for updates, etc.
- Spencer

spencertaylor@gmail.com

Re: Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help
On Feb 14, 2:24 pm, "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote:
> Spencer--
>
> I should have edited that last post a bit. What I'm saying to do is run SFC
> the way I showed you, and if it doesn't fix IE, then run Startup Repair (you
> don't have to have a startup problem to use it to fix problems like yours,
> but you do have to have a Vista DVD.
>
> CH
>
> <spencertay...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1171479260.092560.241080@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
>

> > On Feb 14, 1:39 pm, "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
> >> Sorry, didn't notice your "it doesn't work at all" statement. Don't know
> >> if
> >> you can do this or not.

> >> -Frank

> >> "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

> > I can't, it won't open, and there isn't a regular icon for IE 7 on the
> > desktop (I believe) like with XP, where you could right-click and hit
> > properties, etc.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Chad, I will give it a try.
I am fairly skilled in XP, but I am new to Vista.
Also, this is the only OS on my main PC right now, so I need IE to
work for updates, etc.
- Spencer

Adam Albright

Re: Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help
On 14 Feb 2007 10:54:20 -0800, "spencertaylor@gmail.com"
<spencertaylor@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 14, 1:39 pm, "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, didn't notice your "it doesn't work at all" statement. Don't know if
>> you can do this or not.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "Frankster" <F...@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

>> > IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | [Reset IE]. Close, reopen.

>> > -Frank

>I can't, it won't open, and there isn't a regular icon for IE 7 on the
>desktop (I believe) like with XP, where you could right-click and hit
>properties, etc.

You can find it several ways. Perhaps the fastest is just click on
Start then Search then type in Internet Explorer. Once you see it,
right click, then properties, then make a shortcut which should
automatically add it to your desktop. The icon is a big blue E with a
gold curve something like half of the golden arches at McDonalds.

Robert Firth

Re: Clean Vista Install - IE 7 DOA - Please Help
Is it possible that an add-in is causing this? Try this to run IE 7 with
add-ins disabled:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (no
add-ins)

--
* Robert Firth *