transfer of programs/data

Bill H.

transfer of programs/data
The XP computer's motherboard failed, so a new computer with vista home
premium was purchased.

Is there a tool in Vista that allows for moving programs and data from the
old disk to the new OS?

Thx.

--
Bill

Mick Murphy

RE: transfer of programs/data
You will have to pull the hard drive out of the old computer with the failed
motherboard.
Set the jumpers on the old HD to slave, and set it up as a 2nd hard drive in
your new computer, or in a friends computer as a 2nd hard drive.
You can copy the data from hard drive to hard drive if it is in yours; or if
in your friends to CD, memory stick, etc> then on to yours.

Be careful pulling your new computer apart, as you will void the warranty;
that is why I sugested using a friends older computer.

Or take the hard drive to a computer shop, and get them to put your data on
CD for you; then copy it to Vista.

The ways of data recovery are endless; I love it!

"Bill H." wrote:

> The XP computer's motherboard failed, so a new computer with vista home
> premium was purchased.
>
> Is there a tool in Vista that allows for moving programs and data from the
> old disk to the new OS?
>
> Thx.
>
> --
> Bill

Rick Rogers

Re: transfer of programs/data
Hi,

Data can be moved by installing the old drive into the new system and
copying it over. Programs have to be installed under the new operating
system from their original installation media. There is the Easy Transfer
Companion for moving programs as well, but it would require that you be able
to boot into the old system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
> The XP computer's motherboard failed, so a new computer with vista home
> premium was purchased.
>
> Is there a tool in Vista that allows for moving programs and data from the
> old disk to the new OS?
>
> Thx.
>
> --
> Bill

Bill H.

Re: transfer of programs/data
Yeah, at various times, have done all of those.

Data transfer is easy, it's the programs and all their settings that's the
pain.

Look's like we're back to the old, find the CDs and reinstall routine.

Thx.

> You will have to pull the hard drive out of the old computer with the

failed
> motherboard.
> Set the jumpers on the old HD to slave, and set it up as a 2nd hard drive

in
> your new computer, or in a friends computer as a 2nd hard drive.
> You can copy the data from hard drive to hard drive if it is in yours; or

if
> in your friends to CD, memory stick, etc> then on to yours.
>
> Be careful pulling your new computer apart, as you will void the warranty;
> that is why I sugested using a friends older computer.
>
> Or take the hard drive to a computer shop, and get them to put your data

on
> CD for you; then copy it to Vista.
>
> The ways of data recovery are endless; I love it!
>

> "Bill H." wrote:
>
> > The XP computer's motherboard failed, so a new computer with vista home
> > premium was purchased.
> >
> > Is there a tool in Vista that allows for moving programs and data from

the
> > old disk to the new OS?
> >
> > Thx.
> >
> > --
> > Bill

Mick Murphy

Re: transfer of programs/data
To reinstall Programs, even with WET, you still need the CDs(except for a
very small minority)