keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk

ilver belletti

keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk
I have created a boot floppy disk. If I start the computer from the boot
floppy disk my usb keyboard doesn' t run. What can I do ? Why does it happen ?
Best Regards
Ilver Belletti
Malke

Re: keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk
ilver belletti wrote:
> I have created a boot floppy disk. If I start the computer from the boot
> floppy disk my usb keyboard doesn' t run. What can I do ? Why does it happen ?
> Best Regards
> Ilver Belletti

To what operating system are you booting with the "boot floppy disk"?
DOS? If this is correct, that's why your USB keyboard doesn't work. DOS
knew nothing about USB since it wasn't invented when DOS was written. I
don't think even enabling Legacy USB in the BIOS will help, but it
couldn't hurt to do this to see. If that doesn't work, then use a ps/2
keyboard instead.

If you want more help, you'll need to answer my question above and also
tell us what you are trying to accomplish with this boot disk.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Paul Randall

"ilver belletti" <ilverbelletti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news1EBE9B5-AAF0-45FD-8C6A-131328FDC9DB@microsoft.com...
>I have created a boot floppy disk. If I start the computer from the boot
> floppy disk my usb keyboard doesn' t run. What can I do ? Why does it
> happen ?
> Best Regards
> Ilver Belletti

USB support in Windows started with W98SE, I think. In addition to using
the USB ports and protocol which W98SE provided, you had to load separate
drivers for each particular type or brand of USB device, such as keyboard,
mouse, thumbdrive, etc. Some modern BIOSs provide this capability and
others don't. My 2002 Sony laptop will even let me boot from a USB floppy
drive! You can find out whether your system BIOS can communicate with the
USB keyboard by attempting to get into BIOS setup during the bootup process.
If you can do that then there may be a place in the BIOS setup to give DOS
access to the keyboard. Once that is turned on, the keyboard should work in
DOS.

My personal preference is to use the USB to PS2 adapters included with my
keyboard and use the PS2 ports on the computer. This has worked for me with
both old and newer computers.

-Paul Randall

none

Re: keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk
ilver belletti <ilverbelletti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have created a boot floppy disk. If I start the computer from the boot
> floppy disk my usb keyboard doesn' t run. What can I do ? Why does it happen ?
> Best Regards
> Ilver Belletti

Get a Mac. Why you guys put up with such NONSENSE is unbelievable!

Something like that can NEVER happen on a Mac.

You guys are wasting your TIME!

But don't know it YET......................................
Mick Murphy

Re: keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk
Get back under your rock!

"none" wrote:

> ilver belletti <ilverbelletti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have created a boot floppy disk. If I start the computer from the boot
> > floppy disk my usb keyboard doesn' t run. What can I do ? Why does it happen ?
> > Best Regards
> > Ilver Belletti

> Get a Mac. Why you guys put up with such NONSENSE is unbelievable!
>
> Something like that can NEVER happen on a Mac.
>
> You guys are wasting your TIME!
>
> But don't know it YET......................................

ilver belletti

Re: keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk
The boot floppy disk was created in Windows Vista home ed. 32 bit and
obviously it should run the same operating system. I am able to open the Bios
in the boot process pressing the F2 key. Please, can you suggest something
else ?
Best Regards
Ilver Belletti

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> "ilver belletti" <ilverbelletti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news1EBE9B5-AAF0-45FD-8C6A-131328FDC9DB@microsoft.com...
> >I have created a boot floppy disk. If I start the computer from the boot
> > floppy disk my usb keyboard doesn' t run. What can I do ? Why does it
> > happen ?
> > Best Regards
> > Ilver Belletti

> USB support in Windows started with W98SE, I think. In addition to using
> the USB ports and protocol which W98SE provided, you had to load separate
> drivers for each particular type or brand of USB device, such as keyboard,
> mouse, thumbdrive, etc. Some modern BIOSs provide this capability and
> others don't. My 2002 Sony laptop will even let me boot from a USB floppy
> drive! You can find out whether your system BIOS can communicate with the
> USB keyboard by attempting to get into BIOS setup during the bootup process.
> If you can do that then there may be a place in the BIOS setup to give DOS
> access to the keyboard. Once that is turned on, the keyboard should work in
> DOS.
>
> My personal preference is to use the USB to PS2 adapters included with my
> keyboard and use the PS2 ports on the computer. This has worked for me with
> both old and newer computers.
>
> -Paul Randall

ilver belletti

Re: keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk
I have enabled an USB Legacy option in the BIOS, and now I can use the
keyboard, thank at alls for your interest.
Best Regards
Ilver Belletti

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> "ilver belletti" <ilverbelletti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news1EBE9B5-AAF0-45FD-8C6A-131328FDC9DB@microsoft.com...
> >I have created a boot floppy disk. If I start the computer from the boot
> > floppy disk my usb keyboard doesn' t run. What can I do ? Why does it
> > happen ?
> > Best Regards
> > Ilver Belletti

> USB support in Windows started with W98SE, I think. In addition to using
> the USB ports and protocol which W98SE provided, you had to load separate
> drivers for each particular type or brand of USB device, such as keyboard,
> mouse, thumbdrive, etc. Some modern BIOSs provide this capability and
> others don't. My 2002 Sony laptop will even let me boot from a USB floppy
> drive! You can find out whether your system BIOS can communicate with the
> USB keyboard by attempting to get into BIOS setup during the bootup process.
> If you can do that then there may be a place in the BIOS setup to give DOS
> access to the keyboard. Once that is turned on, the keyboard should work in
> DOS.
>
> My personal preference is to use the USB to PS2 adapters included with my
> keyboard and use the PS2 ports on the computer. This has worked for me with
> both old and newer computers.
>
> -Paul Randall

Bruce Chambers

ilver belletti wrote:
> The boot floppy disk was created in Windows Vista home ed. 32 bit and
> obviously it should run the same operating system.

No, I'm afraid that isn't the case, at all. As the Dialog box clearly
states, it creates an "*MS-DOS* start-up disk." This most definitely
isn't the same operating system as Vista. MS-DOS has no support for USB
devices.

> I am able to open the Bios
> in the boot process pressing the F2 key. Please, can you suggest something
> else ?

You'll need to obtain and use a PS/2 keyboard to access the BIOS and
enable "Legacy USB Support," which will allow the motherboard to accept
a USB keyboard before Windows is loaded.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Paul Randall

Re: keyboard doesn' t run after boot from floppy disk
Thanks for letting us know how you got it working. Sorry I couldn't
remember the terminology (USB Legacy option) you needed to look for in the
BIOS options. If you can use the keyboard in the BIOS during bootup, then
DOS will see it as a normal keyboard with the USB Legacy option turned on.