upgrade WinXPPro to Vista Business OEM maxes out CPU/hangs

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBCaWVzdHk=?=

upgrade WinXPPro to Vista Business OEM maxes out CPU/hangs
When I attempt to upgrade from Windows XP Pro SR2 to Windows Vista Business
OEM from within windows xp, I get as far as the product key entry screen.
When I click next, the install seems to hang. Checking with task manager,
there is a "setup.exe" running at 99% cpu. there are two other "SETUP.EXE"s
running as well. I've let it run for 2 hours and finally "End Task"ed to get
to this forum.

Is this normal? How long should I let it run?
I have 1.5 GB RAM, 1.5+MHz CPU (AMDAthlon), fast IDE hard drives and16x DVD
drive. The drives don't seem to be accessed while CPU is at max.

The upgrade is not available from booting the DVD. When I did so, I got as
far as screen telling me it was not available. (Entered license key, chose
keyboard/language/etc.)
--
--William
Frankster

Re: upgrade WinXPPro to Vista Business OEM maxes out CPU/hangs
The "in-place" upgrade is not available from any OEM disk. XP and Vista
included. For you, it's gonna have to be a clean install with all programs
reloaded.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

-Frank

"William Biesty" <WilliamBiesty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I attempt to upgrade from Windows XP Pro SR2 to Windows Vista
> Business
> OEM from within windows xp, I get as far as the product key entry screen.
> When I click next, the install seems to hang. Checking with task manager,
> there is a "setup.exe" running at 99% cpu. there are two other
> "SETUP.EXE"s
> running as well. I've let it run for 2 hours and finally "End Task"ed to
> get
> to this forum.
>
> Is this normal? How long should I let it run?
> I have 1.5 GB RAM, 1.5+MHz CPU (AMDAthlon), fast IDE hard drives and16x
> DVD
> drive. The drives don't seem to be accessed while CPU is at max.
>
> The upgrade is not available from booting the DVD. When I did so, I got as
> far as screen telling me it was not available. (Entered license key, chose
> keyboard/language/etc.)
> --
> --William

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBCaWVzdHk=?=

Re: upgrade WinXPPro to Vista Business OEM maxes out CPU/hangs
The link you provided does not give any information about OEM disks. I saved
$50 on this.

In fact it indicates that a Win XP Pro -> Vista Business upgrade path is
available.
I can't find anything on the microsoft site to the effect that an upgrade is
not available from any OEM disk. Can you provide a specific link?

And if the Upgrade is not available from an OEM disk why doesn't setup
indicate this instead of this rediculous behavior.

For example it is 3pm as I write this and the log files in
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther have not been modified since 1:20pm!
--
--William

"Frankster" wrote:

> The "in-place" upgrade is not available from any OEM disk. XP and Vista
> included. For you, it's gonna have to be a clean install with all programs
> reloaded.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> -Frank
>
> "William Biesty" <WilliamBiesty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I attempt to upgrade from Windows XP Pro SR2 to Windows Vista
> > Business
> > OEM from within windows xp, I get as far as the product key entry screen.
> > When I click next, the install seems to hang. Checking with task manager,
> > there is a "setup.exe" running at 99% cpu. there are two other
> > "SETUP.EXE"s
> > running as well. I've let it run for 2 hours and finally "End Task"ed to
> > get
> > to this forum.
> >
> > Is this normal? How long should I let it run?
> > I have 1.5 GB RAM, 1.5+MHz CPU (AMDAthlon), fast IDE hard drives and16x
> > DVD
> > drive. The drives don't seem to be accessed while CPU is at max.
> >
> > The upgrade is not available from booting the DVD. When I did so, I got as
> > far as screen telling me it was not available. (Entered license key, chose
> > keyboard/language/etc.)
> > --
> > --William

JW

Re: upgrade WinXPPro to Vista Business OEM maxes out CPU/hangs
Several users have stated that they had no problem doing an inplace upgrade
using an OEM Disk.

> The link you provided does not give any information about OEM disks. I
> saved
> $50 on this.
>
> In fact it indicates that a Win XP Pro -> Vista Business upgrade path is
> available.
> I can't find anything on the microsoft site to the effect that an upgrade
> is
> not available from any OEM disk. Can you provide a specific link?
>
> And if the Upgrade is not available from an OEM disk why doesn't setup
> indicate this instead of this rediculous behavior.
>
> For example it is 3pm as I write this and the log files in
> C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther have not been modified since 1:20pm!
> --
> --William
>

> "Frankster" wrote:
>
>> The "in-place" upgrade is not available from any OEM disk. XP and Vista
>> included. For you, it's gonna have to be a clean install with all
>> programs
>> reloaded.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "William Biesty" <WilliamBiesty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > When I attempt to upgrade from Windows XP Pro SR2 to Windows Vista
>> > Business
>> > OEM from within windows xp, I get as far as the product key entry
>> > screen.
>> > When I click next, the install seems to hang. Checking with task
>> > manager,
>> > there is a "setup.exe" running at 99% cpu. there are two other
>> > "SETUP.EXE"s
>> > running as well. I've let it run for 2 hours and finally "End Task"ed
>> > get
>> > to this forum.
>> >
>> > Is this normal? How long should I let it run?
>> > I have 1.5 GB RAM, 1.5+MHz CPU (AMDAthlon), fast IDE hard drives and16x
>> > DVD
>> > drive. The drives don't seem to be accessed while CPU is at max.
>> >
>> > The upgrade is not available from booting the DVD. When I did so, I got
>> > as
>> > far as screen telling me it was not available. (Entered license key,
>> > chose
>> > keyboard/language/etc.)
>> > --
>> > --William

Frankster

Re: upgrade WinXPPro to Vista Business OEM maxes out CPU/hangs
You're right... sorry, that link doesn't address OEM versions at all. My
bad.

However, is *this* what you are calling ridiculous behavior?

"The upgrade is not available from booting the DVD. When I did so, I got as
far as screen telling me it was not available."

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

"Frankster" wrote:

> You're right... sorry, that link doesn't address OEM versions at all. My
> bad.
>
> However, is *this* what you are calling ridiculous behavior?
>
> "The upgrade is not available from booting the DVD. When I did so, I got as
> far as screen telling me it was not available."
>
> Seems pretty straightforward to me.
>
> -Frank
>
> "William Biesty" <WilliamBiesty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The link you provided does not give any information about OEM disks. I
> > saved
> > $50 on this.
> >
> > In fact it indicates that a Win XP Pro -> Vista Business upgrade path is
> > available.
> > I can't find anything on the microsoft site to the effect that an upgrade
> > is
> > not available from any OEM disk. Can you provide a specific link?
> >
> > And if the Upgrade is not available from an OEM disk why doesn't setup
> > indicate this instead of this rediculous behavior.
> >
> > For example it is 3pm as I write this and the log files in
> > C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther have not been modified since 1:20pm!
> > --
> > --William
> >

> > "Frankster" wrote:
> >
> >> The "in-place" upgrade is not available from any OEM disk. XP and Vista
> >> included. For you, it's gonna have to be a clean install with all
> >> programs
> >> reloaded.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
> >>
> >> -Frank
> >>
> >> "William Biesty" <WilliamBiesty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbSBCaWVzdHk=?=

Re: upgrade WinXPPro to Vista Business OEM maxes out CPU/hangs
Problem solved. I had two other symptoms going on in XP. 1) Windows Defender
was hanging on getting updates (cpu 0% though) and 2) Windows Update was
hanging after clicking Install Updates (also cpu 0%). Canceling windows
update seemed to hang as well but eventually went to the failed update
screen. Clicking on the X? icon led to some error codes which led to BITS not
running. I manually started BITS but that failed; some error codes later led
to some Registry tweaking--I was missing two entries in "Backup". BITS was
then able to start. Windows Update and Defender ran fine and the Vista
Upgrade progressed past the product key screen. I didn't do the upgrade since
I decide to do a dual boot clean install.

The update log file was full of the BITS not running error codes. The vista
installer/upgrader should be handling this problem better for the
non-technical user.

I seemed to have caused this problem myselfas I have to repeatedly the
svchost.exe (BITS is defined as "svchost.exe -k netsvcs") because it hogs the
CPU at 100% soon after start up. This seems to be a relatively recent
phenomena as it was not happening immediately after installing SR2.

Sorry no details on the error codes or registry entries I added; I did this
sometime last week and lost the references. Google'ing the error codes,
rather than using the search on the microsoft.com website, should get you
there.
--
--William