Don't know anything about NTFS and am in need of a little help: TIA

Blue Angel

Don't know anything about NTFS and am in need of a little help: TIA
My Vista Ultimate is due to arrive today and I want to make a clean
install on the NTFS drive and I'm running the beta version as of now.
I want to clean everything off and have a very clean install, but I
don't know how to do it. I know I can format it to a FAT32 by running
fdisk, but when I install Vista, will it convert it to an NTFS
partition?
Many Thanks!!
Blue Angel
Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Don't know anything about NTFS and am in need of a little help: TIA

If you are doing a clean install, then during the install Process it will
ask what disk to install to. click the disk and choose advance options and
you'll have the option to format the drive, which will be NTFS. if the drive
is already fat32, I believe it will auto-convert it to NTFS or make you
format it.

If nothing else, at the end of the install you can always run the convert
command. for example, it would be
Convert C: /FS:NTFS

<Blue Angel> wrote in message
> My Vista Ultimate is due to arrive today and I want to make a clean
> install on the NTFS drive and I'm running the beta version as of now.
> I want to clean everything off and have a very clean install, but I
> don't know how to do it. I know I can format it to a FAT32 by running
> fdisk, but when I install Vista, will it convert it to an NTFS
> partition?
> Many Thanks!!
> Blue Angel

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4gU2Nod2FydHogMg==?=

RE: Don't know anything about NTFS and am in need of a little help: TI
Hello Blue Angel,

You have a very valid question, for your benefit, while you wait take a few
moments for researching Microsoft Sites for all the information that you
desire for knowing.

The below two URLs will provide you a quick start and each URL contains
several additional links (there are just to many for listing all) try the
first URL first.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/windowsvista
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a/default.mspx

--
Windows Vista
Become Part of The Legacy!

"Blue Angel" wrote:

> My Vista Ultimate is due to arrive today and I want to make a clean
> install on the NTFS drive and I'm running the beta version as of now.
> I want to clean everything off and have a very clean install, but I
> don't know how to do it. I know I can format it to a FAT32 by running
> fdisk, but when I install Vista, will it convert it to an NTFS
> partition?
> Many Thanks!!
> Blue Angel

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Don't know anything about NTFS and am in need of a little help: TI
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:03:10 -0800, Jonathan Schwartz 2

>You have a very valid question, for your benefit, while you wait take a few
>moments for researching Microsoft Sites for all the information that you
>desire for knowing.

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/windowsvista
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a/default.mspx

One bug you should know about: The Convert utility that is supposed to
convert FAT32 to NTFS fails silently, i.e. does nothing!

I get full repro on that bug when testing Convert from a WinPE 2.0 CDR
built from the Vista32 OS file set...
- WinPE 2.0 boot
- ChkDsk C: shows file system to be FAT32
- Convert C: /FS:NTFS runs OK, no errors
- ChkDsk C: shows file system to be FAT32
- appy an image of Vista32 via ImageX; OK, no errors
- reboot HD; Vista boots OK
- various things don't work, e.g. System Restore
- ChkDsk C: shows file system to be still FAT32
- WinPE 2.0 boot
- ChkDsk C: shows file system to be FAT32
- Convert C: /FS:NTFS runs OK, no errors
- ChkDsk C: shows file system to be FAT32
- Format C: /FS:NTFS runs OK, no errors (wipes C: !!)
- ChkDsk C: shows file system to be NTFS
- appy an image of Vista32 via ImageX; OK, no errors
- reboot HD; Vista boots OK
- everything works OK, e.g. System Restore
- ChkDsk C: shows file system to be NTFS

Now I don't know whether this has any bearing on a straightforward
installation from the Vista DVD, but it's something to suspect if
you've used other tools to set up partitions as FAT32 and are
expecting the installation process to either convert C: to FAT32, or
at least refuse to install if C: is still FAT32.

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!