Note of Thanks

BobS

Note of Thanks
Not out of the woods yet with Vista but it sure has been an enlightening
week.... I'm still working several hardware issues which I think in the end
will be resolved simply by upgrading the hardware and be done with it.

The reason for this post is to let the MVP's know (even the grumpy ones...)
that their help has been greatly appreciated. You do this voluntarily and a
lot of users don't know that. They get a kick out of abusing your
generosity thinking you're an MS employee and they do it from frustration
over something they don't understand.

I've read a number of complaints here that claim they've found a bug when
sometimes I believe all they've found is what we've asked for - more
security. Quite simply, if you want Vista to operate like XP - stay with XP
and end your frustration. Vista has bugs - live with it. Be willing to
learn something new - otherwise why did you even consider Vista? You have
alternatives, go with Linux, get a Mac or take up drinking but fer cryin out
load - quite whining.

Ask a question, contribute some advice and maybe learn a thing or two here
by just reading the posts - there is a wealth of knowledge here to help you
and all you have to do is be reasonable. People are trying to be helpful and
they get kicked in the teeth for doing it - real nice, mature attitude.

Thanks to all that are helping others - MVP's, MS employee's and the many
knowledgeable users and geeks out there. Your efforts are appreciated.

Now - who can solve my ATI tuner problem......?

Bob S.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Note of Thanks
ATI?

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> Not out of the woods yet with Vista but it sure has been an enlightening
> week.... I'm still working several hardware issues which I think in the
> end will be resolved simply by upgrading the hardware and be done with it.
>
> The reason for this post is to let the MVP's know (even the grumpy
> ones...) that their help has been greatly appreciated. You do this
> voluntarily and a lot of users don't know that. They get a kick out of
> abusing your generosity thinking you're an MS employee and they do it from
> frustration over something they don't understand.
>
> I've read a number of complaints here that claim they've found a bug when
> sometimes I believe all they've found is what we've asked for - more
> security. Quite simply, if you want Vista to operate like XP - stay with
> XP and end your frustration. Vista has bugs - live with it. Be willing
> to learn something new - otherwise why did you even consider Vista? You
> have alternatives, go with Linux, get a Mac or take up drinking but fer
> cryin out load - quite whining.
>
> Ask a question, contribute some advice and maybe learn a thing or two here
> by just reading the posts - there is a wealth of knowledge here to help
> you and all you have to do is be reasonable. People are trying to be
> helpful and they get kicked in the teeth for doing it - real nice, mature
> attitude.
>
> Thanks to all that are helping others - MVP's, MS employee's and the many
> knowledgeable users and geeks out there. Your efforts are appreciated.
>
> Now - who can solve my ATI tuner problem......?
>
> Bob S.

Fedwayguy

Re: Note of Thanks
"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> Not out of the woods yet with Vista but it sure has been an enlightening
> week.... I'm still working several hardware issues which I think in the
> end will be resolved simply by upgrading the hardware and be done with it.
>
> The reason for this post is to let the MVP's know (even the grumpy
> ones...) that their help has been greatly appreciated. You do this
> voluntarily and a lot of users don't know that. They get a kick out of
> abusing your generosity thinking you're an MS employee and they do it from
> frustration over something they don't understand.
>
> I've read a number of complaints here that claim they've found a bug when
> sometimes I believe all they've found is what we've asked for - more
> security. Quite simply, if you want Vista to operate like XP - stay with
> XP and end your frustration. Vista has bugs - live with it. Be willing
> to learn something new - otherwise why did you even consider Vista? You
> have alternatives, go with Linux, get a Mac or take up drinking but fer
> cryin out load - quite whining.
>
> Ask a question, contribute some advice and maybe learn a thing or two here
> by just reading the posts - there is a wealth of knowledge here to help
> you and all you have to do is be reasonable. People are trying to be
> helpful and they get kicked in the teeth for doing it - real nice, mature
> attitude.
>
> Thanks to all that are helping others - MVP's, MS employee's and the many
> knowledgeable users and geeks out there. Your efforts are appreciated.
>
> Now - who can solve my ATI tuner problem......?
>
> Bob S.

Possibly ATI who's now in bed with AMD. They should have updated drivers
available by now.
I have a All in Wonder myself but due to the Vista setup problems and
issues, I haven't had time to check it out yet. I'm with you on the 'week'
thing. I've been on my notebook every day since I picked up OEM Vista Home
Premium and I'm only about half way done.

The permissions and ownership issues in Vista are probably the most
irritating issue people have. I don't know why Microsoft just didn't put in
a switch for you to make optional changes instead of throwing in their
default settings and having us go back and tweak things. For those not
comfortable yet with computers, it can be very intimidating and confusing.
I'm also still playing around with that. I wish you could just go to the
root of your boot drive and throw the switch and take ownership right then
and there for everything on your system and be done with it. Even then you
cannot just delete a directory without first deleting the sub-directories.
If there's and easier way around this, I would sure like to hear about it.

I've been around computers since the old Commodore Vic 20 and 64 days and
then had a Kayrpo CP/M machine. Even thought I consider myself an expert, I
don't know everything. I don't think anyone does, including Bill Gates.

I'm seriously thinking of going Apple later this year so I can start fresh
with a new system and operating system that isn't constantly under attack.

Frankster

Re: Note of Thanks
Great post! I agree!

I especially love this part...

> Quite simply, if you want Vista to operate like XP - stay with XP
> and end your frustration.

Good one! LOL!

-Frank
JerryM \(ID\)

Re: Note of Thanks
RD /S still works for me.

--
Jerry

If you want the best seat in the house,
You'll have to move the cat.

"Fedwayguy" <fedwayguy@nowhere.us> wrote in message
> [...]

> comfortable yet with computers, it can be very intimidating and confusing.
> I'm also still playing around with that. I wish you could just go to the
> root of your boot drive and throw the switch and take ownership right then
> and there for everything on your system and be done with it. Even then
> you cannot just delete a directory without first deleting the
> sub-directories. If there's and easier way around this, I would sure like
> to hear about it.
>
> I've been around computers since the old Commodore Vic 20 and 64 days and
> then had a Kayrpo CP/M machine. Even thought I consider myself an expert,
> I don't know everything. I don't think anyone does, including Bill Gates.
>
> I'm seriously thinking of going Apple later this year so I can start fresh
> with a new system and operating system that isn't constantly under attack.

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Note of Thanks
I actually agree with Bob, except for those of us poor Gaming *******s who
want DX10 and for those that want to Play Halo 2 (not me)

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> Great post! I agree!
>
> I especially love this part...
>
>> Quite simply, if you want Vista to operate like XP - stay with XP and end
>> your frustration.

> Good one! LOL!
>
> -Frank

BobS

Re: Note of Thanks
Smartass.........;-)

Actually, I did get a response to my tech support email and as soon as I
find my secret decoder ring, I'll be able to decipher what they said.

Here's the one line response to my question - maybe someone has an idea...

Response - "Ran Alert AR - driver softwall install".

That's a cut 'n paste right from their online support...... Gotta love
it........

Bob S.

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> ATI?
>

> "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
>> Not out of the woods yet with Vista but it sure has been an enlightening
>> week.... I'm still working several hardware issues which I think in the
>> end will be resolved simply by upgrading the hardware and be done with
>> it.
>>
>> The reason for this post is to let the MVP's know (even the grumpy
>> ones...) that their help has been greatly appreciated. You do this
>> voluntarily and a lot of users don't know that. They get a kick out of
>> abusing your generosity thinking you're an MS employee and they do it
>> from frustration over something they don't understand.
>>
>> I've read a number of complaints here that claim they've found a bug when
>> sometimes I believe all they've found is what we've asked for - more
>> security. Quite simply, if you want Vista to operate like XP - stay with
>> XP and end your frustration. Vista has bugs - live with it. Be willing
>> to learn something new - otherwise why did you even consider Vista? You
>> have alternatives, go with Linux, get a Mac or take up drinking but fer
>> cryin out load - quite whining.
>>
>> Ask a question, contribute some advice and maybe learn a thing or two
>> here by just reading the posts - there is a wealth of knowledge here to
>> help you and all you have to do is be reasonable. People are trying to be
>> helpful and they get kicked in the teeth for doing it - real nice, mature
>> attitude.
>>
>> Thanks to all that are helping others - MVP's, MS employee's and the many
>> knowledgeable users and geeks out there. Your efforts are appreciated.
>>
>> Now - who can solve my ATI tuner problem......?
>>
>> Bob S.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: Note of Thanks
Bob