Help and Support

=?Utf-8?B?Zmx5ZmlzaG5t?=

Help and Support
My installation of Vista went well and is running fine.

However, when I go to Help and Support and click a hyperlink the results
show but to the left of the results on each line of information is an empty
box with a red X in it and the words "Hide content".

It is obviously an image but the image never shows and is beginning to get
annoying especially when I click the "Show all" at the top of the page...any
suggestions?

Is there any way to reinstall the help files without a complete reinstall?

Thanks
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4gU2Nod2FydHogMg==?=

RE: Help and Support
Hello flyfishnm,

Will you consider browsing the below two URLs for locating the resolution to
a known situation. The purpose for the URLs, if ever again you have Vista
related questions, the below URLs, and many others, provide the fastest
resolution.

By the way, browse the first below URL first...

Will you please Post again sharing the results from your self-guided
assistance?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/windowsvista
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a/default.mspx

--
Windows Vista
Become Part of The Legacy!

"flyfishnm" wrote:

> My installation of Vista went well and is running fine.
>
> However, when I go to Help and Support and click a hyperlink the results
> show but to the left of the results on each line of information is an empty
> box with a red X in it and the words "Hide content".
>
> It is obviously an image but the image never shows and is beginning to get
> annoying especially when I click the "Show all" at the top of the page...any
> suggestions?
>
> Is there any way to reinstall the help files without a complete reinstall?
>
> Thanks

Chad Harris

Re: Help and Support/Try This
Flyfishnm--

Give this link a shot:

http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmk...d-support.aspx

Additionally you could try this:

There's a problem with your XML association. (Macromedia Dreamweaver
installed, by chance?).

Open Notepad and paste this text (courtesy of Kristan M. Kenney):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
@="xmlfile"
"Content Type"="text/xml"
"PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList\winword.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\PersistentHandler]
@="{7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE}"

Save it as FixHelp.reg, right-click it and choose Merge.

Note that you may be prompted for consent by UAC; click Continue.

Good luck,

CH

"flyfishnm" <flyfishnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My installation of Vista went well and is running fine.
>
> However, when I go to Help and Support and click a hyperlink the results
> show but to the left of the results on each line of information is an
> empty
> box with a red X in it and the words "Hide content".
>
> It is obviously an image but the image never shows and is beginning to get
> annoying especially when I click the "Show all" at the top of the
> page...any
> suggestions?
>
> Is there any way to reinstall the help files without a complete reinstall?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Zmx5ZmlzaG5t?=

Re: Help and Support/Try This
Chad,

I tried the link from Kristan Kenney a couple of days ago and that did not
work.

I do not have Dreamweaver.

I also tried the code you gave me re:xml and saved it as FixHelp.reg and
right clicked the file and clicked MERGE and it wouldn't let it merge.

The Vista "Windows Registry Editor is Version 6.00"...don't know if that
matters.

Thanks

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Flyfishnm--
>
> Give this link a shot:
>
> http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmk...d-support.aspx
>
> Additionally you could try this:
>
> There's a problem with your XML association. (Macromedia Dreamweaver
> installed, by chance?).
>
> Open Notepad and paste this text (courtesy of Kristan M. Kenney):
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
> @="xmlfile"
> "Content Type"="text/xml"
> "PerceivedType"="text"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList]
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList\winword.exe]
> @=""
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\PersistentHandler]
> @="{7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE}"
>
> Save it as FixHelp.reg, right-click it and choose Merge.
>
> Note that you may be prompted for consent by UAC; click Continue.
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>

> "flyfishnm" <flyfishnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My installation of Vista went well and is running fine.
> >
> > However, when I go to Help and Support and click a hyperlink the results
> > show but to the left of the results on each line of information is an
> > empty
> > box with a red X in it and the words "Hide content".
> >
> > It is obviously an image but the image never shows and is beginning to get
> > annoying especially when I click the "Show all" at the top of the
> > page...any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Is there any way to reinstall the help files without a complete reinstall?
> >
> > Thanks

BobS

Re: Help and Support
Jonathon,

Maybe you need to have someone look at that first url. I went there and
tried to see if a Samsung hard drive was on the hardware list. When you
make all the selections to look at hard drives - what you end up with is
printers and scanners...? Think it's needs to be tweaked just a tad....

Bob S.

"Jonathan Schwartz 2" <JonathanSchwartz2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1C213FEC-9950-4E80-A7F2-D1B2A4E428F8@microsoft.com...
> Hello flyfishnm,
>
> Will you consider browsing the below two URLs for locating the resolution
> a known situation. The purpose for the URLs, if ever again you have Vista
> related questions, the below URLs, and many others, provide the fastest
> resolution.
>
> By the way, browse the first below URL first...
>
> Will you please Post again sharing the results from your self-guided
> assistance?
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/windowsvista
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...a/default.mspx
>
> --
> Windows Vista
> Become Part of The Legacy!
>

> "flyfishnm" wrote:
>
>> My installation of Vista went well and is running fine.
>>
>> However, when I go to Help and Support and click a hyperlink the results
>> show but to the left of the results on each line of information is an
>> empty
>> box with a red X in it and the words "Hide content".
>>
>> It is obviously an image but the image never shows and is beginning to
>> get
>> annoying especially when I click the "Show all" at the top of the
>> page...any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Is there any way to reinstall the help files without a complete
>> reinstall?
>>
>> Thanks

Chad Harris

Re: Help and Support/Try This
It's true Vista'r registry has many differences and is a different version
(6.0), but it also has many simularities. That fix, though worked for
someone on this group about three weeks ago who was using Vista RTM. I
don't know if you could export the whole registry --takes 5 seconds and
backs it up ane set a restore point and then try adding the keys one by one.

In the reg>File>Export>radio button on lower left dialogue box>entire
registry>save to location of your choice. That way, if things don't work
out, you could do a couple clicks and have the registry back the way it was.

> Chad,
>
> I tried the link from Kristan Kenney a couple of days ago and that did not
> work.
>
> I do not have Dreamweaver.
>
> I also tried the code you gave me re:xml and saved it as FixHelp.reg and
> right clicked the file and clicked MERGE and it wouldn't let it merge.
>
> The Vista "Windows Registry Editor is Version 6.00"...don't know if that
> matters.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Flyfishnm--
>>
>> Give this link a shot:
>>
>> http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmk...d-support.aspx
>>
>> Additionally you could try this:
>>
>> There's a problem with your XML association. (Macromedia Dreamweaver
>> installed, by chance?).
>>
>> Open Notepad and paste this text (courtesy of Kristan M. Kenney):
>>
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
>> @="xmlfile"
>> "Content Type"="text/xml"
>> "PerceivedType"="text"
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList]
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList\winword.exe]
>> @=""
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\PersistentHandler]
>> @="{7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE}"
>>
>> Save it as FixHelp.reg, right-click it and choose Merge.
>>
>> Note that you may be prompted for consent by UAC; click Continue.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "flyfishnm" <flyfishnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My installation of Vista went well and is running fine.
>> >
>> > However, when I go to Help and Support and click a hyperlink the
>> > results
>> > show but to the left of the results on each line of information is an
>> > empty
>> > box with a red X in it and the words "Hide content".
>> >
>> > It is obviously an image but the image never shows and is beginning to
>> > get
>> > annoying especially when I click the "Show all" at the top of the
>> > page...any
>> > suggestions?
>> >
>> > Is there any way to reinstall the help files without a complete
>> > reinstall?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Chad Harris

Re: Help and Support/Vista General Question
Why not post this in the Vista general group? It's not a setup question.

CH

"flyfishnm" <flyfishnm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My installation of Vista went well and is running fine.
>
> However, when I go to Help and Support and click a hyperlink the results
> show but to the left of the results on each line of information is an
> empty
> box with a red X in it and the words "Hide content".
>
> It is obviously an image but the image never shows and is beginning to get
> annoying especially when I click the "Show all" at the top of the
> page...any
> suggestions?
>
> Is there any way to reinstall the help files without a complete reinstall?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Zmx5ZmlzaG5t?=

Re: Help and Support/Vista General Question
Thanks...I will.

I did check my registry and everything in the code you sent is there.