installation of programs from windows xp to windows vista

rubseveni

installation of programs from windows xp to windows vista
Hello,

Ik wondered if. When I would update from windows xp to windows vista.
Will I have to reinstall all my programs working in xp when I update to
windows vista? Or do all my programs stay installed on the pc?

Ruben Sevenois
brink

Re: installation of programs from windows xp to windows vista

rubseveni;466587 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ik wondered if. When I would update from windows xp to windows vista.
> Will I have to reinstall all my programs working in xp when I update to
> windows vista? Or do all my programs stay installed on the pc?
>
> Ruben Sevenois

Hi Ruben,

For the best results for Vista, I would recommend that you do a clean
install with your Upgrade version of Vista. You could have develop
problems if you install it from within XP. This tutorial will show you
how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...n-install.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Rick Rogers

Re: installation of programs from windows xp to windows vista
I would disagree with that assertion. I always do an upgrade first - you can
always do a clean install if you run into trouble. An upgrade will preserve
user profiles, settings, and installed programs. A clean install will force
the user to start from scratch, something the vast majority would rather
avoid. Some points to address:

- Before upgrading, uninstall your antivirus software. There are just too
many conflicts possible and it's best to just remove it entirely, not just
disable it. Same thing for any antispyware and third party firewall
programs. Install Vista-compatible versions after the upgrade.
- Remove your graphic driver software and revert to standard VGA. You can
update to a Vista driver afterwards if it's not in the package.
- Check for compatibility of your software from the vendor, make sure the
version you are running is ok for Vista, do not rely on the upgrade adisor
utility for this.
- Backup important data in case of a failure, they do happen infrequently,
and your significant other will be rather ticked off if you lose those
photos. There is simply no excuse for not doing so.
- Double check your hardware specifications for suitability, again from the
device manufacturer. If the machine isn't capable of running the OS, your
experience will be disappointing. Don't upgrade a low spec machine.
- The upgrade advisor, while useful, is not an end-all to determining
suitability. It only reports what it knows about and cannot predict
potential conflicts that it is unaware of. With the millions of possible
hardware combinations and installable software, it is best to check with
vendors for suitability.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"brink" <brink.2xnwm6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> rubseveni;466587 Wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Ik wondered if. When I would update from windows xp to windows vista.
>> Will I have to reinstall all my programs working in xp when I update to
>> windows vista? Or do all my programs stay installed on the pc?
>>
>> Ruben Sevenois

> Hi Ruben,
>
> For the best results for Vista, I would recommend that you do a clean
> install with your Upgrade version of Vista. You could have develop
> problems if you install it from within XP. This tutorial will show you
> how.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...n-install.html
>

> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

Richard Urban

Re: installation of programs from windows xp to windows vista
Another view!

I have found that upgrade installs, for the average user, leaves (in more
than a handful of cases) broken non-compatible programs/drivers that can not
be uninstalled, without the use of dynamite! And, upgrade advisor does NOT
find them all.

And, when you have problems down the road, you will never be certain that it
is not because of the upgrade.

For me and mine, it's always a fresh install.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

>I would disagree with that assertion. I always do an upgrade first - you
>can always do a clean install if you run into trouble. An upgrade will
>preserve user profiles, settings, and installed programs. A clean install
>will force the user to start from scratch, something the vast majority
>would rather avoid. Some points to address:
>
> - Before upgrading, uninstall your antivirus software. There are just too
> many conflicts possible and it's best to just remove it entirely, not just
> disable it. Same thing for any antispyware and third party firewall
> programs. Install Vista-compatible versions after the upgrade.
> - Remove your graphic driver software and revert to standard VGA. You can
> update to a Vista driver afterwards if it's not in the package.
> - Check for compatibility of your software from the vendor, make sure the
> version you are running is ok for Vista, do not rely on the upgrade adisor
> utility for this.
> - Backup important data in case of a failure, they do happen infrequently,
> and your significant other will be rather ticked off if you lose those
> photos. There is simply no excuse for not doing so.
> - Double check your hardware specifications for suitability, again from
> the device manufacturer. If the machine isn't capable of running the OS,
> your experience will be disappointing. Don't upgrade a low spec machine.
> - The upgrade advisor, while useful, is not an end-all to determining
> suitability. It only reports what it knows about and cannot predict
> potential conflicts that it is unaware of. With the millions of possible
> hardware combinations and installable software, it is best to check with
> vendors for suitability.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "brink" <brink.2xnwm6@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> rubseveni;466587 Wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Ik wondered if. When I would update from windows xp to windows vista.
>>> Will I have to reinstall all my programs working in xp when I update to
>>> windows vista? Or do all my programs stay installed on the pc?
>>>
>>> Ruben Sevenois

>> Hi Ruben,
>>
>> For the best results for Vista, I would recommend that you do a clean
>> install with your Upgrade version of Vista. You could have develop
>> problems if you install it from within XP. This tutorial will show you
>> how.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...n-install.html
>>

>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

Rick Rogers

Re: installation of programs from windows xp to windows vista
Precisely why I listed the precautions that I use. A little prework prevents
a lot of post work.

Rick Rogers;466753 Wrote:
> Precisely why I listed the precautions that I use. A little prework
> prevents
> a lot of post work.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> 'Microsoft Most Valuable Professional'
> (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/)
> Windows help - 'Nutcase's Home' (http://www.rickrogers.org)
> My thoughts 'Life and other stuff' (http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com)
>
> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> ---------------------------------
> I would disagree with that assertion. I always do an upgrade first -
> you can
> always do a clean install if you run into trouble. An upgrade will
> preserve
> user profiles, settings, and installed programs. A clean install will
> force
> the user to start from scratch, something the vast majority would
> rather
> avoid. Some points to address:
>
> - Before upgrading, uninstall your antivirus software. There are just
> too
> many conflicts possible and it's best to just remove it entirely, not
> just
> disable it. Same thing for any antispyware and third party firewall
> programs. Install Vista-compatible versions after the upgrade.
> - Remove your graphic driver software and revert to standard VGA. You
> can
> update to a Vista driver afterwards if it's not in the package.
> - Check for compatibility of your software from the vendor, make sure
> the
> version you are running is ok for Vista, do not rely on the upgrade
> adisor
> utility for this.
> - Backup important data in case of a failure, they do happen
> infrequently,
> and your significant other will be rather ticked off if you lose those
> photos. There is simply no excuse for not doing so.
> - Double check your hardware specifications for suitability, again from
> the
> device manufacturer. If the machine isn't capable of running the OS,
> your
> experience will be disappointing. Don't upgrade a low spec machine.
> - The upgrade advisor, while useful, is not an end-all to determining
> suitability. It only reports what it knows about and cannot predict
> potential conflicts that it is unaware of. With the millions of
> possible
> hardware combinations and installable software, it is best to check
> with
> vendors for suitability.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> 'http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/' (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/)
> Windows help - 'www.rickrogers.org' (http://www.rickrogers.org/)
> My thoughts 'http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com'
> (http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com/)

Hi Rick,

I agree that if you know what to look for, you can avoid the problems
with doing a Upgrade from within XP. However, your average Joe may not
know all of these traps to look for, and there are a few. That is why I
always recommend a clean or fresh install. It is better to be sure than
scratching your head or bashing the computer later. (haha)

Shawn