MAK Activation keys

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hpZWxW?=

MAK Activation keys
My company has a Volume license and I have created a MAK for Vista
Enterprise. If I have activated a test PC and afterwards format the PC, will
the the activation count still show this activation? In other words, how can
I disable the activations for PC which are no longer operational?

And does my company have to pay for each activation seperately? We have an
Enterprise agreement level A.

Regards,
Chiel Varkevisser
The Netherlands
Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

Re: MAK Activation keys
I bet you wanted to say ".. I created a KMS for Vista Enterprise".

MAKS are Multiple Activation Keys for use against the normal MS-Activation
over the internet, comparable to the Volumekeys on XP,only that MAK now need
to be activated too.

KMS is a Key Management Server, running on A Vista Workstation or a Server
2003.

If you set up like you told here, then your VistaClients can activate
against the KMS, local and "offline" (not via Internet, but via intranet)
and the KMS is counting the activated clients.

Activated clients do only have 180 days then need to be activated again on
the KMS.

A KMS needs at least 25 vista clients, and the clients must be on the same
network, the Server checks if the clients do answer periodical.

If no answers from enough machines come in, the count substracts the missing
client.

If the count goes under 25, then the KMS cannot activate anymore.

"A KMS host must have at least 25 physical Windows Vista clients connected
to it before any of them will activate. Systems operating in virtual
machine (VM) environments can also be activated using KMS, but they do not
contribute to the system count.
Clients must renew their activation by connecting to the KMS Host at least
once every 180 days. Clients not yet activated will attempt to connect with
the KMS host every two hours (value configurable). Once activated, they will
attempt to connect to the KMS host every seven days (value configurable) and
if successful will renew their 180-day activation life span"

Very confusing stuff, and all because of piracy. but one can manage it..
somehow..

For a "official" description go here :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...n/volact1.mspx

SJ / germany

"ChielV" <ChielV@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> My company has a Volume license and I have created a MAK for Vista
> Enterprise. If I have activated a test PC and afterwards format the PC,
> will
> the the activation count still show this activation? In other words, how
> can
> I disable the activations for PC which are no longer operational?
>
> And does my company have to pay for each activation seperately? We have an
> Enterprise agreement level A.
>
> Regards,
> Chiel Varkevisser
> The Netherlands

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hpZWxW?=

Re: MAK Activation keys
No, I meant MAK. I don't use a KMS server here, because we are only testing
and do not have 25 Vista PCs running here.

So my question is: if several Vista clients are activated over the internet,
and they all use this MAK (which can have up to 500 activations), is there a
way to decrease the numer of activations in case a PC is formatted again?

"Sascha Benjamin Jazbec" wrote:

> I bet you wanted to say ".. I created a KMS for Vista Enterprise".
>
> MAKS are Multiple Activation Keys for use against the normal MS-Activation
> over the internet, comparable to the Volumekeys on XP,only that MAK now need
> to be activated too.
>
> KMS is a Key Management Server, running on A Vista Workstation or a Server
> 2003.
>
> If you set up like you told here, then your VistaClients can activate
> against the KMS, local and "offline" (not via Internet, but via intranet)
> and the KMS is counting the activated clients.
>
> Activated clients do only have 180 days then need to be activated again on
> the KMS.
>
> A KMS needs at least 25 vista clients, and the clients must be on the same
> network, the Server checks if the clients do answer periodical.
>
> If no answers from enough machines come in, the count substracts the missing
> client.
>
> If the count goes under 25, then the KMS cannot activate anymore.
>
> "A KMS host must have at least 25 physical Windows Vista clients connected
> to it before any of them will activate. Systems operating in virtual
> machine (VM) environments can also be activated using KMS, but they do not
> contribute to the system count.
> Clients must renew their activation by connecting to the KMS Host at least
> once every 180 days. Clients not yet activated will attempt to connect with
> the KMS host every two hours (value configurable). Once activated, they will
> attempt to connect to the KMS host every seven days (value configurable) and
> if successful will renew their 180-day activation life span"
>

> Very confusing stuff, and all because of piracy. but one can manage it..
> somehow..
>
> For a "official" description go here :
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...n/volact1.mspx
>
> SJ / germany
>
> "ChielV" <ChielV@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > My company has a Volume license and I have created a MAK for Vista
> > Enterprise. If I have activated a test PC and afterwards format the PC,
> > will
> > the the activation count still show this activation? In other words, how
> > can
> > I disable the activations for PC which are no longer operational?
> >
> > And does my company have to pay for each activation seperately? We have an
> > Enterprise agreement level A.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chiel Varkevisser
> > The Netherlands

AJR

Re: MAK Activation keys
Probably not - since the number of activations is incremented - there is no
"decrementation" (such a word?). However Microsoft does provide additional
keys upon request - do not know documentation required though.

"ChielV" <ChielV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> and
>> if successful will renew their 180-day activation life span"
>>

>> Very confusing stuff, and all because of piracy. but one can manage it..
>> somehow..
>>
>> For a "official" description go here :
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...n/volact1.mspx
>>
>> SJ / germany
>>
>> "ChielV" <ChielV@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > My company has a Volume license and I have created a MAK for Vista
>> > Enterprise. If I have activated a test PC and afterwards format the PC,
>> > will
>> > the the activation count still show this activation? In other words,
>> > how
>> > can
>> > I disable the activations for PC which are no longer operational?
>> >
>> > And does my company have to pay for each activation seperately? We have

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: MAK Activation keys
Hello,
No the count is not decremented. Only activations are counted so each
activation counts as one.
increasing the number of activations can be done as per your licensing
agreements. There should be instructions as to how to increase the number
of activations on your MAK if you find you need more MAK activations. You
would need to contact you licensing contact to get details on how to
accomplish this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
> [...]
|>>
|>> "A KMS host must have at least 25 physical Windows Vista clients
connected
|>> to it before any of them will activate. Systems operating in virtual
|>> machine (VM) environments can also be activated using KMS, but they do
not
|>> contribute to the system count.
|>> Clients must renew their activation by connecting to the KMS Host at
least
|>> once every 180 days. Clients not yet activated will attempt to connect
with
|>> the KMS host every two hours (value configurable). Once activated, they
will
|>> attempt to connect to the KMS host every seven days (value
configurable) and
|>> if successful will renew their 180-day activation life span"
|>>

|>> Very confusing stuff, and all because of piracy. but one can manage

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hpZWxW?=

Re: MAK Activation keys
When having a Enterprise Volume License Agreement, are we charged for the
number of activations?

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> No the count is not decremented. Only activations are counted so each
> activation counts as one.
> increasing the number of activations can be done as per your licensing
> agreements. There should be instructions as to how to increase the number
> of activations on your MAK if you find you need more MAK activations. You
> would need to contact you licensing contact to get details on how to
> accomplish this.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |>From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2hpZWxW?= <ChielV@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |>Subject: Re: MAK Activation keys
> |>Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 03:11:11 -0800
> |>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |>No, I meant MAK. I don't use a KMS server here, because we are only
> testing
> |>and do not have 25 Vista PCs running here.
> |>
> |>So my question is: if several Vista clients are activated over the
> internet,
> |>and they all use this MAK (which can have up to 500 activations), is
> there a
> |>way to decrease the numer of activations in case a PC is formatted again?

> MS-Activation
> need

> Server

> intranet)

> on

> same

> missing

> connected
> not
> least
> with
> will
> configurable) and

> it..

> PC,
> how

> have an

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: MAK Activation keys
Hello,
No your agreement should spell out how may licenses you are charged for.
You then get a MAK key for that number of activation plus some additional
activations for rebuilds\replacement. If those are activations are all
consumed, you can call to have the number of activations increased. You
may be asked why you need the increase but there isn't an additional cost
for this.
Now if you have 10 licenses and you ask for 200 additional activations,
that may raise some additional questions<G>
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]