Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista Home Premium - File Transfer and Workgroup Config

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBNYWduYW50?=
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Home Premium - File Transfer and Workgroup Config
Hi,

Tried the Files and Seting transfer Wizard. No Joy. Looked on the "XP SP2"
computer for a code. Could not find any local help to resolve. Customer
watching over my shoulder, not good.

Then tried to find a place to enter the workgroup to see the other
computers. No Joy. Did find how to share files from this PC but did not
configure one as yet. How will the new computer and the shared files appear
to the XP boxes?

There was a question about how we would use the computer, home or work (but
it may have been from the Compaq builting utilities). We want to be able to
share files and printers with legacy machines.

I've downloaded the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder to load
on the XP computer, and have not tried it as yet, but hope be able to resolve
the issue in one visit to the client.

I'd classify this as a HOT item as my clients will just about all want to
transfer from the "old" PC and in most cases will want to shares files and
printers with their old equipment until all the drivers are available or the
in-compatible items are upgraded or replaced.

I'm still telling people to be patient as we compile the list of reasons to
upgrade or not. Intuits response for example is "new stuff works"

Best Regards,

Mike
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium - File Transfer and Workgroup Config
"Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi,
>
> Tried the Files and Seting transfer Wizard. No Joy. Looked on the "XP
> SP2"
> computer for a code. Could not find any local help to resolve. Customer
> watching over my shoulder, not good.
>
> Then tried to find a place to enter the workgroup to see the other
> computers. No Joy. Did find how to share files from this PC but did not
> configure one as yet. How will the new computer and the shared files
> appear
> to the XP boxes?
>
> There was a question about how we would use the computer, home or work
> (but
> it may have been from the Compaq builting utilities). We want to be able
> to
> share files and printers with legacy machines.
>
> I've downloaded the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder to load
> on the XP computer, and have not tried it as yet, but hope be able to
> resolve
> the issue in one visit to the client.
>
> I'd classify this as a HOT item as my clients will just about all want to
> transfer from the "old" PC and in most cases will want to shares files and
> printers with their old equipment until all the drivers are available or
> the
> in-compatible items are upgraded or replaced.
>
> I'm still telling people to be patient as we compile the list of reasons
> to
> upgrade or not. Intuits response for example is "new stuff works"



You wrote Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. That only works in XP. For
transfer to Vista use the Windows Easy Transfer utility run from the Vista
DVD.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBNYWduYW50?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium - File Transfer and Workgroup Config
Thanks Rock.

You are right I used the worng name. Still it did not work, no code on the
old PC. What should I do?

Also where do I set the workgroup?

Mike

"Rock" wrote:

> "Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Tried the Files and Seting transfer Wizard. No Joy. Looked on the "XP
> > SP2"
> > computer for a code. Could not find any local help to resolve. Customer
> > watching over my shoulder, not good.
> >
> > Then tried to find a place to enter the workgroup to see the other
> > computers. No Joy. Did find how to share files from this PC but did not
> > configure one as yet. How will the new computer and the shared files
> > appear
> > to the XP boxes?
> >
> > There was a question about how we would use the computer, home or work
> > (but
> > it may have been from the Compaq builting utilities). We want to be able
> > to
> > share files and printers with legacy machines.
> >
> > I've downloaded the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder to load
> > on the XP computer, and have not tried it as yet, but hope be able to
> > resolve
> > the issue in one visit to the client.
> >
> > I'd classify this as a HOT item as my clients will just about all want to
> > transfer from the "old" PC and in most cases will want to shares files and
> > printers with their old equipment until all the drivers are available or
> > the
> > in-compatible items are upgraded or replaced.
> >
> > I'm still telling people to be patient as we compile the list of reasons
> > to
> > upgrade or not. Intuits response for example is "new stuff works"

>
>
> You wrote Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. That only works in XP. For
> transfer to Vista use the Windows Easy Transfer utility run from the Vista
> DVD.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium - File Transfer and Workgroup Config
"Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Thanks Rock.
>
> You are right I used the worng name. Still it did not work, no code on
> the
> old PC. What should I do?


Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I don't know what you mean
by "no code on the old PC". The Windows Easy Transfer Utility is on the
Vista DVD, not on the old compuer. The utility is run from the DVD with the
legacy OS booted to the desktop. Migrated data can be put on USB, CD/DVD,
flash drive, over a network or by cable connection to the computer with the
Vista installation.

> Also where do I set the workgroup?


Sorry, can't help with the workgroup issues.

> Mike
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Tried the Files and Seting transfer Wizard. No Joy. Looked on the "XP
>> > SP2"
>> > computer for a code. Could not find any local help to resolve.
>> > Customer
>> > watching over my shoulder, not good.
>> >
>> > Then tried to find a place to enter the workgroup to see the other
>> > computers. No Joy. Did find how to share files from this PC but did
>> > not
>> > configure one as yet. How will the new computer and the shared files
>> > appear
>> > to the XP boxes?
>> >
>> > There was a question about how we would use the computer, home or work
>> > (but
>> > it may have been from the Compaq builting utilities). We want to be
>> > able
>> > to
>> > share files and printers with legacy machines.
>> >
>> > I've downloaded the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder to
>> > load
>> > on the XP computer, and have not tried it as yet, but hope be able to
>> > resolve
>> > the issue in one visit to the client.
>> >
>> > I'd classify this as a HOT item as my clients will just about all want
>> > to
>> > transfer from the "old" PC and in most cases will want to shares files
>> > and
>> > printers with their old equipment until all the drivers are available
>> > or
>> > the
>> > in-compatible items are upgraded or replaced.
>> >
>> > I'm still telling people to be patient as we compile the list of
>> > reasons
>> > to
>> > upgrade or not. Intuits response for example is "new stuff works"

>>
>>
>> You wrote Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. That only works in XP.
>> For
>> transfer to Vista use the Windows Easy Transfer utility run from the
>> Vista
>> DVD.


--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBNYWduYW50?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium - File Transfer and Workgroup Config
Hi rock,

New Compaq did not come with a Disk. Ran the wizard on the new computer, at
one point it asks for a code from the other "old" computer. what do I need
to do on the old computer to begin the preparation of the files for transfer?
Copying to a USB is interesting but does not move settings etc. just what I
can get from the My Documents, or can I move the entire users foldes in
Documents and Settings and copy them intack into the new user on the Vista
Machine and all the stuff will work?

The last wizard ran on the new machine and if needed made a disk for the
old machine that when run collected the files and then if the two machines
could see each onther on the network, the old maching generated a code that
was written into the new machine and the transfer went great! All we needed
to do was update passswords on the new computer and done.

Just hoping the same ease of use will be available somehow. I truly did not
see any way to generate a USB mobile program to put on the old PC.

Mike

"Rock" wrote:

> "Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > Thanks Rock.
> >
> > You are right I used the worng name. Still it did not work, no code on
> > the
> > old PC. What should I do?

>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I don't know what you mean
> by "no code on the old PC". The Windows Easy Transfer Utility is on the
> Vista DVD, not on the old compuer. The utility is run from the DVD with the
> legacy OS booted to the desktop. Migrated data can be put on USB, CD/DVD,
> flash drive, over a network or by cable connection to the computer with the
> Vista installation.
>
> > Also where do I set the workgroup?

>
> Sorry, can't help with the workgroup issues.
>
> > Mike
> >
> > "Rock" wrote:
> >
> >> "Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >>
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > Tried the Files and Seting transfer Wizard. No Joy. Looked on the "XP
> >> > SP2"
> >> > computer for a code. Could not find any local help to resolve.
> >> > Customer
> >> > watching over my shoulder, not good.
> >> >
> >> > Then tried to find a place to enter the workgroup to see the other
> >> > computers. No Joy. Did find how to share files from this PC but did
> >> > not
> >> > configure one as yet. How will the new computer and the shared files
> >> > appear
> >> > to the XP boxes?
> >> >
> >> > There was a question about how we would use the computer, home or work
> >> > (but
> >> > it may have been from the Compaq builting utilities). We want to be
> >> > able
> >> > to
> >> > share files and printers with legacy machines.
> >> >
> >> > I've downloaded the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder to
> >> > load
> >> > on the XP computer, and have not tried it as yet, but hope be able to
> >> > resolve
> >> > the issue in one visit to the client.
> >> >
> >> > I'd classify this as a HOT item as my clients will just about all want
> >> > to
> >> > transfer from the "old" PC and in most cases will want to shares files
> >> > and
> >> > printers with their old equipment until all the drivers are available
> >> > or
> >> > the
> >> > in-compatible items are upgraded or replaced.
> >> >
> >> > I'm still telling people to be patient as we compile the list of
> >> > reasons
> >> > to
> >> > upgrade or not. Intuits response for example is "new stuff works"
> >>
> >>
> >> You wrote Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. That only works in XP.
> >> For
> >> transfer to Vista use the Windows Easy Transfer utility run from the
> >> Vista
> >> DVD.

>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Home Premium - File Transfer and Workgroup Config
"Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi rock,
>
> New Compaq did not come with a Disk. Ran the wizard on the new computer,
> at
> one point it asks for a code from the other "old" computer. what do I
> need
> to do on the old computer to begin the preparation of the files for
> transfer?
> Copying to a USB is interesting but does not move settings etc. just what
> I
> can get from the My Documents, or can I move the entire users foldes in
> Documents and Settings and copy them intack into the new user on the Vista
> Machine and all the stuff will work?


Not sure what code you're talking about.

Here is an article on how to use Windows Easy Transfer.

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one
Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

One way to do this is to connect the two computers by a USB cable and start
WET from the new computer. The procedure is outlined in the article.

You can also do the transfer through a network connection which, from what
you have written below, I believe you have. Again the procedure is in the
article.

You can't just copy the Documents and Settings folder from the XP machine to
the Vista machine. The file structure is different. Vista puts the user
data in various foldes under \Users\<Username>\.

Although the Documents and Settings folder exists on a Vista installtion it
gives you an access denied message when trying to open it. That's because
it's actually only a junction, containing a link to the real folder in Vista
where this data should go. You would need some specfic knowledge about
where to move things, and it isn't always obvious. Best to use WET.

> The last wizard ran on the new machine and if needed made a disk for the
> old machine that when run collected the files and then if the two machines
> could see each onther on the network, the old maching generated a code
> that
> was written into the new machine and the transfer went great! All we
> needed
> to do was update passswords on the new computer and done.


Well, ok, that is FAST; Vista uses WET. And never the twain shall meet.
:-)

> Just hoping the same ease of use will be available somehow. I truly did
> not
> see any way to generate a USB mobile program to put on the old PC.


You should be able to move the data and settings over with WET. Good luck.

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > Thanks Rock.
>> >
>> > You are right I used the worng name. Still it did not work, no code on
>> > the
>> > old PC. What should I do?

>>
>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I don't know what you
>> mean
>> by "no code on the old PC". The Windows Easy Transfer Utility is on the
>> Vista DVD, not on the old compuer. The utility is run from the DVD with
>> the
>> legacy OS booted to the desktop. Migrated data can be put on USB,
>> CD/DVD,
>> flash drive, over a network or by cable connection to the computer with
>> the
>> Vista installation.
>>
>> > Also where do I set the workgroup?

>>
>> Sorry, can't help with the workgroup issues.
>>
>> > Mike
>> >
>> > "Rock" wrote:
>> >
>> >> "Mike Magnant" <MikeMagnant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> >>
>> >> > Hi,
>> >> >
>> >> > Tried the Files and Seting transfer Wizard. No Joy. Looked on the
>> >> > "XP
>> >> > SP2"
>> >> > computer for a code. Could not find any local help to resolve.
>> >> > Customer
>> >> > watching over my shoulder, not good.
>> >> >
>> >> > Then tried to find a place to enter the workgroup to see the other
>> >> > computers. No Joy. Did find how to share files from this PC but
>> >> > did
>> >> > not
>> >> > configure one as yet. How will the new computer and the shared
>> >> > files
>> >> > appear
>> >> > to the XP boxes?
>> >> >
>> >> > There was a question about how we would use the computer, home or
>> >> > work
>> >> > (but
>> >> > it may have been from the Compaq builting utilities). We want to be
>> >> > able
>> >> > to
>> >> > share files and printers with legacy machines.
>> >> >
>> >> > I've downloaded the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder
>> >> > to
>> >> > load
>> >> > on the XP computer, and have not tried it as yet, but hope be able
>> >> > to
>> >> > resolve
>> >> > the issue in one visit to the client.
>> >> >
>> >> > I'd classify this as a HOT item as my clients will just about all
>> >> > want
>> >> > to
>> >> > transfer from the "old" PC and in most cases will want to shares
>> >> > files
>> >> > and
>> >> > printers with their old equipment until all the drivers are
>> >> > available
>> >> > or
>> >> > the
>> >> > in-compatible items are upgraded or replaced.
>> >> >
>> >> > I'm still telling people to be patient as we compile the list of
>> >> > reasons
>> >> > to
>> >> > upgrade or not. Intuits response for example is "new stuff works"
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> You wrote Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. That only works in XP.
>> >> For
>> >> transfer to Vista use the Windows Easy Transfer utility run from the
>> >> Vista
>> >> DVD.


--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows XP Home (Full Vers.) to Vista Home Premium Upgrade (Academ =?Utf-8?B?VE5UZWFjaGVy?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 15:17
file transfer from Win98 to Vista? Oppie microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 02-28-2007 21:39
Upgrade from XP Home - SP2 to Vista Home Premium Failue =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmVzbA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 02-08-2007 03:28
XP to Vista with Easy File Transfer =?Utf-8?B?RG9vZ2xv?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 02-02-2007 06:33
Dual Boot XP Home & Vista Home Premium Upgrade =?Utf-8?B?RXRoeWxPSA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 01-30-2007 11:07




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120