Vista installation hanging

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFF1YXJlbmRvbg==?=

Vista installation hanging
I'm trying and failing to install Vista on a new PC. Its an OEM copy of Vista
bought along with a bunch of components from a supplier.
Repeatedly I get to the stage where it's saying "Completing the
installation..." and it hangs. Sometimes I can get further, but it always
hangs. Mouse in unresponsive on the screen all I can do is turn it off.

Any ideas what I can try or where I can get help?
System is as follows:
Abit AB9 QuadGT motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quadra QX6700
4 GB memory (4*Cell Shock 1GB DDR2 800 PC6400)
BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC graphics card.
Western Digital Raptor 150GB hard disk (SATA)
Samsung SH-182MRSMN DVD ReWriter

Thats it.

I've tried an alternative graphics card with the same results.
I've also disabled any unnecessary things in the bios (USB, firewire,
floppy, lan) and no difference.

I'm at a bit of a loss and since it's an OEM copy of Vista this seems my
only support channel.
Any other suggestions before I send the Vista back and get XP instead (I've
installed an XP on the machine to check that the machine was OK and I ran the
"Upgrade Advisor" and the only thing it reported was that I might want to
upgrade my graphics card. BFG reckon the card is perfectly compatible with
Vista though. XP went on fine though, so there doesn't seem to be anything
inherently wrong with the machine).
R. J. Salvi

Re: Vista installation hanging
Count me in, Tom...and I'm a system builder.

System:
Mobo: ECS PX1
CPU: QX6700
RAM: Wintec DDR2-800 (2x1GB)
HD: WD Raptor 150GB
DVD: LiteOn DL burner (SATA)
Vid: eVGA 8800GTS

There was another poster (within the last week?) in the same situation as us
who also had a QX6700 (and an 8800GTS).

For me, the OS (Vista Business x86 upgrade) would install and after first
reboot, it would hang/freeze at various places. I've gotten as far as the
black/white "Windows is preparing to start for the first time" screen and it
hangs there too. Like you, I'd disabled all on-motherboard resources (sound,
USB, etc.), relaxed BIOS settings, removed any ancillary hardware, tried to
install the OS as either an upgrade, or clean (the unofficial clean install
hack), but to no avail. Memory and HD both check out with a clean bill of
health. I'd even tried both an IDE DVD and HD with the same results.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's the QX6700, or 965P North Bridge, or a
combination of both, that have something to do with our problem(s). Both XP
Pro x86 or x64 run like a champ on this machine.

I'm open to any suggestions and if anyone has a similar system built around
the quad-core CPU and have it working, I'd especially like to hear from you.
Thx.

--
RJ

"Tom Quarendon" <Tom Quarendon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying and failing to install Vista on a new PC. Its an OEM copy of
> Vista
> bought along with a bunch of components from a supplier.
> Repeatedly I get to the stage where it's saying "Completing the
> installation..." and it hangs. Sometimes I can get further, but it always
> hangs. Mouse in unresponsive on the screen all I can do is turn it off.
>
> Any ideas what I can try or where I can get help?
> System is as follows:
> Abit AB9 QuadGT motherboard
> Intel Core 2 Quadra QX6700
> 4 GB memory (4*Cell Shock 1GB DDR2 800 PC6400)
> BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC graphics card.
> Western Digital Raptor 150GB hard disk (SATA)
> Samsung SH-182MRSMN DVD ReWriter
>
> Thats it.
>
> I've tried an alternative graphics card with the same results.
> I've also disabled any unnecessary things in the bios (USB, firewire,
> floppy, lan) and no difference.
>
> I'm at a bit of a loss and since it's an OEM copy of Vista this seems my
> only support channel.
> Any other suggestions before I send the Vista back and get XP instead
> (I've
> installed an XP on the machine to check that the machine was OK and I ran
> the
> "Upgrade Advisor" and the only thing it reported was that I might want to
> upgrade my graphics card. BFG reckon the card is perfectly compatible with
> Vista though. XP went on fine though, so there doesn't seem to be anything
> inherently wrong with the machine).

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFF1YXJlbmRvbg==?=

Re: Vista installation hanging
Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one having such problems.
The symptoms you describe are exactly the ones I see. I get to various
points past the first reboot (when real Vista actually starts up) and it
hangs.
Spent a long time on the phone to MS technical support, the upshot of which
was "there is nothing we can do -- it's hardware". Which you can sympathise
with, but it doesn't actually help!

So I'll second the call for success or otherwise of Quad core 965P based
systems.

"R. J. Salvi" wrote:

> Count me in, Tom...and I'm a system builder.
>
> System:
> Mobo: ECS PX1
> CPU: QX6700
> RAM: Wintec DDR2-800 (2x1GB)
> HD: WD Raptor 150GB
> DVD: LiteOn DL burner (SATA)
> Vid: eVGA 8800GTS
>
> There was another poster (within the last week?) in the same situation as us
> who also had a QX6700 (and an 8800GTS).
>
> For me, the OS (Vista Business x86 upgrade) would install and after first
> reboot, it would hang/freeze at various places. I've gotten as far as the
> black/white "Windows is preparing to start for the first time" screen and it
> hangs there too. Like you, I'd disabled all on-motherboard resources (sound,
> USB, etc.), relaxed BIOS settings, removed any ancillary hardware, tried to
> install the OS as either an upgrade, or clean (the unofficial clean install
> hack), but to no avail. Memory and HD both check out with a clean bill of
> health. I'd even tried both an IDE DVD and HD with the same results.
>
> Anyway, I'm wondering if it's the QX6700, or 965P North Bridge, or a
> combination of both, that have something to do with our problem(s). Both XP
> Pro x86 or x64 run like a champ on this machine.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions and if anyone has a similar system built around
> the quad-core CPU and have it working, I'd especially like to hear from you.
> Thx.

Chad Harris

Re: Vista installation hanging
Is this OEM installation an Upgrade from a legacy OS like XP or Win 2K or a
full Vista? Depending upon which I can direct you to MSKBs or other
solutions that might address your problem

Are you getting any setup error messages?

Have you checked the setup logs?

" Its an OEM copy of Vista bought along with a bunch of components..."

I am compelled to say this by reflex first : Make sure you meticulously
clean that
DVD. It matters if you're doing a full OEM install or an upgrade install.
In either case, I've listed the setup log file locations where you might
pinpoint a problem below. When you talked with "MSFT support" be very clear
you weren't talking to engineers like Darrell Gorter--you were talking to
minimally trained personnel who work for a 3rd party company MSFT uses
because they don't want to deal with you and because they are
cheap--Convergys of Ohio headquatered in Cincy Ohio, outsourcing American
jobs to India where the personnel is minimum wage, minimally English
speaking, and minimally trained in Windows Vista or Office and other MSFT
software.

Much of the time they throw you in a que and give you a phony amount of time
and hours later no one has picked up. That's a mixed blessing. MSFT wastes
your time with their third party hire for their customer support, but if you
reached them, the odds are strong they wouldn't know jack.

Do you get a specific error message? You should be. I'm going to show you
some common upgrade errors and also where to check setup logs.

A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930743/en-us

Log files that are created when you upgrade to Windows Vista from an earlier
version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928901/en-us

The following log files are created when an upgrade is successful:•

C:\Windows\Panther\Setupact.log
• C:\Windows\panther\setuperr.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
installation before the computer restarts for the second time:•

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\Windows\setupapi.log
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
installation after the computer restarts for the second time:•

C:\Windows\panther\setupact.log
• C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\memory.dmp

The following log files are created when an upgrade fails, and then you
restore the desktop:• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. dev.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. app.log
• C:\Windows\memory.dmp

Windows Vista setup log file locations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521/en-us

Good luck,

CH

> Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one having such problems.
> The symptoms you describe are exactly the ones I see. I get to various
> points past the first reboot (when real Vista actually starts up) and it
> hangs.
> Spent a long time on the phone to MS technical support, the upshot of
> which
> was "there is nothing we can do -- it's hardware". Which you can
> sympathise
> with, but it doesn't actually help!
>
> So I'll second the call for success or otherwise of Quad core 965P based
> systems.
>
> "R. J. Salvi" wrote:
>
>> Count me in, Tom...and I'm a system builder.
>>
>> System:
>> Mobo: ECS PX1
>> CPU: QX6700
>> RAM: Wintec DDR2-800 (2x1GB)
>> HD: WD Raptor 150GB
>> DVD: LiteOn DL burner (SATA)
>> Vid: eVGA 8800GTS
>>
>> There was another poster (within the last week?) in the same situation as
>> us
>> who also had a QX6700 (and an 8800GTS).
>>
>> For me, the OS (Vista Business x86 upgrade) would install and after first
>> reboot, it would hang/freeze at various places. I've gotten as far as the
>> black/white "Windows is preparing to start for the first time" screen and
>> it
>> hangs there too. Like you, I'd disabled all on-motherboard resources
>> (sound,
>> USB, etc.), relaxed BIOS settings, removed any ancillary hardware, tried
>> install the OS as either an upgrade, or clean (the unofficial clean
>> install
>> hack), but to no avail. Memory and HD both check out with a clean bill of
>> health. I'd even tried both an IDE DVD and HD with the same results.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm wondering if it's the QX6700, or 965P North Bridge, or a
>> combination of both, that have something to do with our problem(s). Both
>> XP
>> Pro x86 or x64 run like a champ on this machine.
>>
>> I'm open to any suggestions and if anyone has a similar system built
>> around
>> the quad-core CPU and have it working, I'd especially like to hear from
>> you.
>> Thx.

Adam Albright

Re: Vista installation hanging
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:49:18 -0800, Tom Quarendon
<TomQuarendon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one having such problems.
>The symptoms you describe are exactly the ones I see. I get to various
>points past the first reboot (when real Vista actually starts up) and it
>hangs.
>Spent a long time on the phone to MS technical support, the upshot of which
>was "there is nothing we can do -- it's hardware". Which you can sympathise
>with, but it doesn't actually help!
>
>So I'll second the call for success or otherwise of Quad core 965P based
>systems.

I have a Quad core MB 965P DQ6 form Gigabyte and had similar issues in
my first attempt. Before trying a second time I went to BIOS and just
pretty much disabled everything not absolutely necessary to install
the OS and disconnected or disabled all hard drives not needed and
external devices, then my second attempt at install Vista was
successful.

The only remaing big issue is none of my SATA drives work in AHCI or
RAID mode. If I try to set them that way the BIOS starts the boot
process but stops just before entering Windows giving a No OS found
error in spite of the root drive being on the single IDE channel and
NOT A SATA drive. For me that's not a biggie, just annoyance. This in
spite of downloading the latest controller drivers which are claimed
to be both XP and Vista capable and written by Intel.

My best advice is run the Vista Upgrade Advisor and suspect EVERYTHING
it hints at that could be a prblem, WILL BE a problem during the
install. Most of these so-called problems disappear once you can truly
and fully get into Vista as confirm by then looking in Device Manager
it will without any intervention from you install generic drivers for
things is nagged about in many cases.

>"R. J. Salvi" wrote:
>
>> Count me in, Tom...and I'm a system builder.
>>
>> System:
>> Mobo: ECS PX1
>> CPU: QX6700
>> RAM: Wintec DDR2-800 (2x1GB)
>> HD: WD Raptor 150GB
>> DVD: LiteOn DL burner (SATA)
>> Vid: eVGA 8800GTS
>>
>> There was another poster (within the last week?) in the same situation as us
>> who also had a QX6700 (and an 8800GTS).
>>
>> For me, the OS (Vista Business x86 upgrade) would install and after first
>> reboot, it would hang/freeze at various places. I've gotten as far as the
>> black/white "Windows is preparing to start for the first time" screen and it
>> hangs there too. Like you, I'd disabled all on-motherboard resources (sound,
>> USB, etc.), relaxed BIOS settings, removed any ancillary hardware, tried to
>> install the OS as either an upgrade, or clean (the unofficial clean install
>> hack), but to no avail. Memory and HD both check out with a clean bill of
>> health. I'd even tried both an IDE DVD and HD with the same results.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm wondering if it's the QX6700, or 965P North Bridge, or a
>> combination of both, that have something to do with our problem(s). Both XP
>> Pro x86 or x64 run like a champ on this machine.
>>
>> I'm open to any suggestions and if anyone has a similar system built around
>> the quad-core CPU and have it working, I'd especially like to hear from you.
>> Thx.

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFF1YXJlbmRvbg==?=

Re: Vista installation hanging
> Is this OEM installation an Upgrade from a legacy OS like XP or Win 2K or a
> full Vista? Depending upon which I can direct you to MSKBs or other
> solutions that might address your problem

It's a full Vista OEM installation CD. As I said I'm installing on a fresh
machine, nothing to upgrade, so I didn't buy an upgrade CD.

> Are you getting any setup error messages?

No just hangs.

> Have you checked the setup logs?

Can't. After the hangs I can't boot properly. Try booting into Safe mode and
Windows says that I can't boot Safe mode because the installation hasn't
finished. I guess I can take the hard dsk out of the machine and install it
in another one (good job I've got two machines hey) and see if I can read the
NTFS from there to get at the install logs.

I got quite a lot of help from the Microsoft helpline, apart from the fact
that they couldn't fix my problem. Ultimately I guess they where no use, but
I can't fault the service I got, phoned me back a number of times to see how
installation was going, kept on the line for an hour or so while it installed
just in case anything happened etc.

> Do you get a specific error message? You should be.

No errors. Just hangs. Like a hardware issue, just like the nice Microsoft
lady said.

> A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
> troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
> Windows Vista

Not trying to upgrade.

Next time I try and it fails I'll try taking out the hard disk afterwards
and see if I can see anything on it.

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:49:18 -0800, Tom Quarendon
> <TomQuarendon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one having such problems.
>>The symptoms you describe are exactly the ones I see. I get to various
>>points past the first reboot (when real Vista actually starts up) and it
>>hangs.
>>Spent a long time on the phone to MS technical support, the upshot of
>>which
>>was "there is nothing we can do -- it's hardware". Which you can
>>sympathise
>>with, but it doesn't actually help!
>>
>>So I'll second the call for success or otherwise of Quad core 965P based
>>systems.

> I have a Quad core MB 965P DQ6 form Gigabyte and had similar issues in
> my first attempt. Before trying a second time I went to BIOS and just
> pretty much disabled everything not absolutely necessary to install
> the OS and disconnected or disabled all hard drives not needed and
> external devices, then my second attempt at install Vista was
> successful.
>
> The only remaing big issue is none of my SATA drives work in AHCI or
> RAID mode. If I try to set them that way the BIOS starts the boot
> process but stops just before entering Windows giving a No OS found
> error in spite of the root drive being on the single IDE channel and
> NOT A SATA drive. For me that's not a biggie, just annoyance. This in
> spite of downloading the latest controller drivers which are claimed
> to be both XP and Vista capable and written by Intel.
>
> My best advice is run the Vista Upgrade Advisor and suspect EVERYTHING
> it hints at that could be a prblem, WILL BE a problem during the
> install. Most of these so-called problems disappear once you can truly
> and fully get into Vista as confirm by then looking in Device Manager
> it will without any intervention from you install generic drivers for
> things is nagged about in many cases.

<rant> One of the problems I have with Vista being so picky, is that if a
device isn't supported, Vista should simply skip over it and generate a
pop-up on the desktop to let the end user know the device is not
installed/supported. I would also point out Adam, that you, Tom and myself,
are not attempting to install Vista on legacy systems.

And while fingers are pointing in all directions regarding hardware support,
I think the blame should squarely be placed on all industry players. I
realize the PC industry is too dynamic for any mfr. to perfect anything, but
if the goal is to make the PC a more mainstream appliance (such as a
toaster), then I think initially, the industry has taken a step backwards.
</rant>

--
RJ

>>"R. J. Salvi" wrote:
>>
>>> Count me in, Tom...and I'm a system builder.
>>>
>>> System:
>>> Mobo: ECS PX1
>>> CPU: QX6700
>>> RAM: Wintec DDR2-800 (2x1GB)
>>> HD: WD Raptor 150GB
>>> DVD: LiteOn DL burner (SATA)
>>> Vid: eVGA 8800GTS
>>>
>>> There was another poster (within the last week?) in the same situation
>>> as us
>>> who also had a QX6700 (and an 8800GTS).
>>>
>>> For me, the OS (Vista Business x86 upgrade) would install and after
>>> first
>>> reboot, it would hang/freeze at various places. I've gotten as far as
>>> the
>>> black/white "Windows is preparing to start for the first time" screen
>>> and it
>>> hangs there too. Like you, I'd disabled all on-motherboard resources
>>> (sound,
>>> USB, etc.), relaxed BIOS settings, removed any ancillary hardware, tried
>>> install the OS as either an upgrade, or clean (the unofficial clean
>>> install
>>> hack), but to no avail. Memory and HD both check out with a clean bill
>>> of
>>> health. I'd even tried both an IDE DVD and HD with the same results.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm wondering if it's the QX6700, or 965P North Bridge, or a
>>> combination of both, that have something to do with our problem(s). Both
>>> XP
>>> Pro x86 or x64 run like a champ on this machine.
>>>
>>> I'm open to any suggestions and if anyone has a similar system built
>>> around
>>> the quad-core CPU and have it working, I'd especially like to hear from
>>> you.
>>> Thx.

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFF1YXJlbmRvbg==?=

Re: Vista installation hanging
OK. Well my problem seems to be that the motherboard I've got has a 965P
chipset, and this doesn't support Extreme Edition processors. Certainly Abit
reckon that there are "issues" with running a QX6700 on an AB9 Quad GT (you'd
think that a "Quad" GT would support a "Q"X6700 wouldn't you but it doesn't).
Anyway. I'm swapping to a 975X based motherboard and don't expect problems
(using an Intel Bad Axe, so that's bound to work isn't it :-) ).
I'll let you know how I get on when get the board and have it all installed.

"R. J. Salvi" wrote:

> [...]
> > BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC graphics card.
> > Western Digital Raptor 150GB hard disk (SATA)
> > Samsung SH-182MRSMN DVD ReWriter
> >
> > Thats it.
> >
> > I've tried an alternative graphics card with the same results.
> > I've also disabled any unnecessary things in the bios (USB, firewire,
> > floppy, lan) and no difference.
> >
> > I'm at a bit of a loss and since it's an OEM copy of Vista this seems my
> > only support channel.
> > Any other suggestions before I send the Vista back and get XP instead
> > (I've
> > installed an XP on the machine to check that the machine was OK and I ran
> > the
> > "Upgrade Advisor" and the only thing it reported was that I might want to
> > upgrade my graphics card. BFG reckon the card is perfectly compatible with
> > Vista though. XP went on fine though, so there doesn't seem to be anything

Hi Tom,

The P965 chipset *does* support Quad-core...assuming the correct BIOS
revision with the correct CPU microcodes. In XP, I see all four cores. I
just haven't yet been able to get Vista past hanging on reboot. And IIRC,
there's an obscure Vista installation issue with the 975X chipsets as well,
though I can't remember what it is and it may only be ASUS motherboards.
Anyone...?

According to ABIT's "Processor Support" matrix, it appears you're correct
about the AB9 and Quad-core support. In fact, it looks like only the AW9D &
AW9D-MAX support the quad core.

That said, would you please update us if you're successful with the new
board. Thx.

--

> [...]
>> >
>> > Thats it.
>> >
>> > I've tried an alternative graphics card with the same results.
>> > I've also disabled any unnecessary things in the bios (USB, firewire,
>> > floppy, lan) and no difference.
>> >
>> > I'm at a bit of a loss and since it's an OEM copy of Vista this seems
>> > my
>> > only support channel.
>> > Any other suggestions before I send the Vista back and get XP instead
>> > (I've
>> > installed an XP on the machine to check that the machine was OK and I
>> > ran
>> > the
>> > "Upgrade Advisor" and the only thing it reported was that I might want
>> > upgrade my graphics card. BFG reckon the card is perfectly compatible
>> > with
>> > Vista though. XP went on fine though, so there doesn't seem to be

=?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=

Re: Vista installation hanging
Hi Guys
I thought it was me, I have the abit AWD9Max 975x chipset board.
I have exactly the problems you describe, have been in contact with ABIT
tech service (UK) their last reply in brackets:
( heard that Vista does not support Quad core, or at least you can not
install it with all 4 cores enable.
Apparently, Microsoft has release patches for this, but still does not work.
By disabling one core, vista will able to install. I am not sure how to do
that.)
Like yourselves the New build pc will load XP and run perfectly with no
hitches, I just don't know what to do now, if anyone can help with this
problem please advise