XP on Pre-installed Vista

Dipak

XP on Pre-installed Vista
Hi,
I have HP Pavillion Laptop with pre-installed Vista Home Prem (no media DVD
provided but I have PC Recovery on D: drive). Now I want to install Win XP on
E: drive. But as I read it will not show Vista in boot menu and solution over
this is to repair it using Vista DVD.
As I dont have vista DVD, what do I need to do to recover my Vista boot menu
and use Dual boot menu while I start my laptop?

Thanks,
Mick Murphy

RE: XP on Pre-installed Vista
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

At the start of the above articule, under Prepare Windows Vista, there is
advice about Gnome Partioner, if you don't have the vista DVD, as it came
pre-installed

Good luck.

"Dipak" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have HP Pavillion Laptop with pre-installed Vista Home Prem (no media DVD
> provided but I have PC Recovery on D: drive). Now I want to install Win XP on
> E: drive. But as I read it will not show Vista in boot menu and solution over
> this is to repair it using Vista DVD.
> As I dont have vista DVD, what do I need to do to recover my Vista boot menu
> and use Dual boot menu while I start my laptop?
>
> Thanks,

Paul Randall

Re: XP on Pre-installed Vista

"Dipak" <Dipak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have HP Pavillion Laptop with pre-installed Vista Home Prem (no media
> DVD
> provided but I have PC Recovery on D: drive). Now I want to install Win XP
> on
> E: drive. But as I read it will not show Vista in boot menu and solution
> over
> this is to repair it using Vista DVD.
> As I dont have vista DVD, what do I need to do to recover my Vista boot
> menu
> and use Dual boot menu while I start my laptop?

Hopefully someone else will give you the info to fix the boot menu.

Three things:
1) Be sure to create recovery discs. I believe the recovery process that
uses the recovery partition is only accessible through bootup using the
original master boot record. Installing WXP on another partition on the
same hard drive may wipe out the original MBR.

2) Make sure you have drivers for WXP for your laptop. Go to HP.com and
download the drivers for your laptop. Since this laptop may have been
optimized for Vista, HP may not provide drivers for WXP.

3) Be aware that each time you boot to WXP, your Vista restore points are
wiped out.

-Paul Randall

Mick Murphy

RE: XP on Pre-installed Vista