INFO: Vista x64 Not Loading on SATA drive

BobS

INFO: Vista x64 Not Loading on SATA drive
I promised a follow-up when I finally got Vista x64 up and running:

System:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with version 1303 BIOS (latest) set to defaults (no
overclock settings)
2Gb memory
2x Asus GeForce 6800 graphics in non-SLI mode
PS2 keyboard and mouse
Hard drive = SATA (1 only)
DVD
P/S and LCD monitor

The above represents one of many configurations but is the one I used to
test and very the problem.

The problem was that I could not get Vista x64 to load on to a SATA drive
that is connected to the nForce4 chipset.

Although numerous iterations and various configurations were tried, it kept
looking like it was the nForce4 drivers - it was not.

The culprit is a Samsung 300Gb drive, model HDL300LJ and I haven't had a
chance to find out why yet. Whether the drive was configured for 1.5Gb or
3Gb transfer rate - Vista would not load properly. No error messages - just
a black screen after the reboot.

If this drive was connected to the system at all, whether I was loading to
it or another drive, the x64 version would fail to load. With it out of the
system, I could load x64 or x86 versions to SATA drives. By itself in the
system, neither x64 or x86 version would load.

This Samsung drive is new and has been used briefly for backup storage, it
tests okay and I have no indications of any problems. I tried
partitioning/formatting under WinXP and Vista - same problem. I'll see if
Samsung has a diagnostic program I can run and see if their KB has any info.
Is this a bad drive, configuration error (Smart drive) or a compatibility
problem ???

Got me to thinking maybe there is a problem with the nForce controller not
being able to handle 3Gb drives. My 3 Raptor drives are all 74Gb, 1.5Gb
transfer rates and the controller works fine with those and any of the EIDE
drives. So I'll be rummaging around for a known good SATA drive with a 3Gb
capability from a different manf to test with and verify.

I'll be emailing Samsung too....

Lots of finger pointing going around on a lot of these hardware problems -
you've read the posts - so now I'll tell you of my experience with nVidia.

I sent them an email last Fri evening, got an answer right back saying the
problem was escalated and I should hear from them soon. Monday afternoon,
first tech email stating they mocked up an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe bare-bones
system, one SATA drive and it loaded fine with the x64 drivers on the disc.
That was good news cause no one in this group said they had x64 running on
similar hardware. To me that was excellent tech support service and they
verified it really worked - not just saying it. And it did...

So it wasn't a Vista problem nor a Nvidia problem (although they are not
totally out of the woods...;-) and I have this friend in Buffalo (no neck,
drags knuckles on ground, wears a Fedora...) who will visit with Samsung to
discuss this little matter.

And for all those still struggling (I am too) with Vista and wanting to
learn the why in addition to the how, I suggest you make the investment in a
good Vista book and ease your frustration levels by learning a bit before
getting out the bigger hammer. I got the one from MS Press and it has the
eBook on CD. I bring up Vista on one screen, the book on the other and I
can try things real quick as I'm reading - plus it's searchable. Well worth
the $50 considering how long Vista will be around and how many system I'll
be maintaining.

If I find out what is wrong with the drive or if it's a 3Gb compatibility
issue, I'll make another follow-up post. Meanwhile, hopefully this will
shed some light on a problem that others are also having. May not be
exactly the same but it's another avenue to explore.

Bob S.

KYHighlander

Re: Vista x64 Not Loading on SATA drive
Hey Bob,

I bought a cheap Maxtor SATA drive at Office Depot, it's 200 gig and works
fine in the nforce SATA controller. It's a DiamondMax 6A200E0.

I'm having a problem with Vista myself, when I boot it up it has video that
maps the bottom half of the screen to the wrong side with a back line in
between. When I put it in standby or low power hibernation and then bring it
out all of this is cleared up. I have contacted Nvidia, but they have yet to
reply.

--
KY
www.posernation.com

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> to discuss this little matter.
>
> And for all those still struggling (I am too) with Vista and wanting to
> learn the why in addition to the how, I suggest you make the investment in
> a good Vista book and ease your frustration levels by learning a bit
> before getting out the bigger hammer. I got the one from MS Press and it
> has the eBook on CD. I bring up Vista on one screen, the book on the
> other and I can try things real quick as I'm reading - plus it's
> searchable. Well worth the $50 considering how long Vista will be around
> and how many system I'll be maintaining.
>
> If I find out what is wrong with the drive or if it's a 3Gb compatibility
> issue, I'll make another follow-up post. Meanwhile, hopefully this will
> shed some light on a problem that others are also having. May not be
> exactly the same but it's another avenue to explore.

BobS

Re: Vista x64 Not Loading on SATA drive
KY,

I will probably do as you did and just pick up another drive. I did some
web surfing and these Samsung drives seem to have other difficulties also.
I'll just put it off in a workstation as a storage drive unless Samsung
agrees its a problem and will warranty it.

That's a weird video problem. Let us know if you ever find a cure for that
one....

Bob S.

"KYHighlander" <kyhighlandnospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:c_ydnfsEgbhTjU7YnZ2dnUVZ_vipnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> [...]
>> Samsung to discuss this little matter.
>>
>> And for all those still struggling (I am too) with Vista and wanting to
>> learn the why in addition to the how, I suggest you make the investment
>> in a good Vista book and ease your frustration levels by learning a bit
>> before getting out the bigger hammer. I got the one from MS Press and it
>> has the eBook on CD. I bring up Vista on one screen, the book on the
>> other and I can try things real quick as I'm reading - plus it's
>> searchable. Well worth the $50 considering how long Vista will be around
>> and how many system I'll be maintaining.
>>
>> If I find out what is wrong with the drive or if it's a 3Gb compatibility
>> issue, I'll make another follow-up post. Meanwhile, hopefully this will
>> shed some light on a problem that others are also having. May not be
>> exactly the same but it's another avenue to explore.

I'll probably buy a new video card, one that is known to work with Vista.