Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade

Dirk Lehmann

Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade
Hello,

would it be possible to repair an existing installation of vista premium OEM
with not working media player and windows explorer due booting from DVD and
installing again via upgrade without loosing files and programs?

regards,

Dirk

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade
Windows Vista Repair Options
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm

"Dirk Lehmann" <dirk_lehmann@arcor.de> wrote in message news:28B0727D-E3E5-400F-A2BE-7A4D88363DE9@microsoft.com...
Hello,

would it be possible to repair an existing installation of vista premium OEM
with not working media player and windows explorer due booting from DVD and
installing again via upgrade without loosing files and programs?

regards,

Dirk
Dirk Lehmann

Re: Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade
Hello Carey,

please let me know if it is possible to repair the media player without
recovering to a earlier point of time or completey restore.

Thank you.

regards,

Dirk

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Windows Vista Repair Options
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
>

> "Dirk Lehmann" <dirk_lehmann@arcor.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> would it be possible to repair an existing installation of vista premium
> OEM
> with not working media player and windows explorer due booting from DVD
> and
> installing again via upgrade without loosing files and programs?
>
> regards,
>
> Dirk

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade
Hi,

Unlike XP, there is no repair install option in Vista. If your media player
is damaged, you might try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command
prompt. There is no option to reinstall just that program. System Restore
may be able to get you running again if you haven't let the problem go on
too long.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Hello Carey,
>
> please let me know if it is possible to repair the media player without
> recovering to a earlier point of time or completey restore.
>
> Thank you.
>
> regards,
>
> Dirk
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Windows Vista Repair Options
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
>>

>> "Dirk Lehmann" <dirk_lehmann@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> would it be possible to repair an existing installation of vista premium
>> OEM
>> with not working media player and windows explorer due booting from DVD
>> and
>> installing again via upgrade without loosing files and programs?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Dirk

Paul Randall

Re: Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade
Hi, Rick
You say there is no repair install option in Vista. How would you
characterize the effect of doing what this line says:
"4. Click on Repair your computer. (See screenshot below)"
at the following URL:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html

-Paul Randall

> Hi,
>
> Unlike XP, there is no repair install option in Vista. If your media
> player is damaged, you might try running sfc /scannow from an elevated
> command prompt. There is no option to reinstall just that program. System
> Restore may be able to get you running again if you haven't let the
> problem go on too long.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Dirk Lehmann" <dirk_lehmann@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> Hello Carey,
>>
>> please let me know if it is possible to repair the media player without
>> recovering to a earlier point of time or completey restore.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Dirk
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Windows Vista Repair Options
>>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
>>>

>>> "Dirk Lehmann" <dirk_lehmann@arcor.de> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> would it be possible to repair an existing installation of vista premium
>>> OEM
>>> with not working media player and windows explorer due booting from DVD
>>> and
>>> installing again via upgrade without loosing files and programs?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Dirk

Malke

Paul Randall wrote:
> Hi, Rick
> You say there is no repair install option in Vista. How would you
> characterize the effect of doing what this line says:
> "4. Click on Repair your computer. (See screenshot below)"
> at the following URL:
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html

That's for repair of startup files, not the same as the classic XP
Repair Install.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Paul Randall

> Paul Randall wrote:
>> Hi, Rick
>> You say there is no repair install option in Vista. How would you
>> characterize the effect of doing what this line says:
>> "4. Click on Repair your computer. (See screenshot below)"
>> at the following URL:
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html

> That's for repair of startup files, not the same as the classic XP Repair
> Install.

Thanks, Malke

Silly me. Who in his right mind would not understand that clicking on
"Repair your computer" during installation really means 'Do a "startup
repair" of the currently installed Vista'? I guess I need a new secret
decoder ring :-)

Do you have a web link that explains what files or things this startup
repair fixes? Does it write a new MBR? I couldn't find any details in Help
& Support.

-Paul Randall

Dirk Lehmann

Re: Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade
> Silly me. Who in his right mind would not understand that clicking on
> "Repair your computer" during installation really means 'Do a "startup
> repair" of the currently installed Vista'? I guess I need a new secret
> decoder ring :-)
>
> Do you have a web link that explains what files or things this startup
> repair fixes? Does it write a new MBR? I couldn't find any details in
> Help & Support.
>
> -Paul Randall

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6131173.html

Dirk Lehmann

John Barnes

Re: Vista Premium OEM repair due upgrade
I guess I need a new secret decoder ring :-) Command Prompt is also
available, as well as access to System Restore points.

"Paul Randall" <paulr901@cableone.net> wrote in message

> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Paul Randall wrote:
>>> Hi, Rick
>>> You say there is no repair install option in Vista. How would you
>>> characterize the effect of doing what this line says:
>>> "4. Click on Repair your computer. (See screenshot below)"
>>> at the following URL:
>>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html

>> That's for repair of startup files, not the same as the classic XP Repair
>> Install.

> Thanks, Malke
>
> Silly me. Who in his right mind would not understand that clicking on
> "Repair your computer" during installation really means 'Do a "startup
> repair" of the currently installed Vista'? I guess I need a new secret
> decoder ring :-)
>
> Do you have a web link that explains what files or things this startup
> repair fixes? Does it write a new MBR? I couldn't find any details in
> Help & Support.
>
> -Paul Randall

Paul Randall

>> Silly me. Who in his right mind would not understand that clicking on
>> "Repair your computer" during installation really means 'Do a "startup
>> repair" of the currently installed Vista'? I guess I need a new secret
>> decoder ring :-)
>>
>> Do you have a web link that explains what files or things this startup
>> repair fixes? Does it write a new MBR? I couldn't find any details in
>> Help & Support.
>>
>> -Paul Randall

> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6131173.html

Thanks, Dirk

I was hoping for something with more substance. This article seems more
like an op-ed piece provided by M$'s marketing department.

Example -- it says:

<quote>
When Windows Vista's initial loading sequence detects a startup failure, it
automatically fails over to the Startup Repair Tool.
For example, the Startup Repair Tool can automatically repair the following
problems:
Missing/corrupt/incompatible drivers
Missing/corrupt system files
Missing/corrupt boot configuration settings
Corrupt registry settings
Corrupt disk metadata (master boot record, partition table, or boot sector)
Problem update installation
</quote>

If it actually did this, then we wouldn't be seeing half the posts that we
actually see in microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup and
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.

Does anyone have knowledge of cases where during startup, the startup repair
tool was automatically invoked, fixed something, and startup completed
successfully? In which case how did you find out that a problem was found
and fixed?

Does anyone have an example of something that we can break on our test
system and which will be fixed by this automatic invocation of the startup
repair tool? I'd like to see it in action.

-Paul Randall