Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Recovery/Backup/Restore issue

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Recovery/Backup/Restore issue
Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope you can help me please. I'll try to be
brief and to the point.

Just bought a new computer with Vista. It crashed yesterday and was advised
to "start from scratch" and use recovery tool. Just before doing this it
asked me if I wanted to backup my data. Of course I did on an external hard
drive. Today I have successfully windows and running and it's new again.
Now I'm ready to restore my back up files.

When I use the Vista back up file utility, it doesn't "see" the backup files
on my external hard drive. When I go into explorer I can see the backup
files on my external hard drive. When I click on the application file (it
says it is a "restorewiz application"), it throws me into recovery manager
and says, "the file restore wizard helps you restore files that you backed up
earlier". So far so good. Then it says "insert the last disk. Please
insert the latest disk and continue the restore wizard." There is no option
to tell it to look on my external hard drive.

What am I missing? All I want to do is to restore these files which I can
see on my external hard drive. They are in the folder "MINWINPC" with file
extensions of .fpw. Thanks for any help.

Bruce
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2007
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Recovery/Backup/Restore issue/Not a setup install question.
This group has been designated Setup for months. Please use it that way.
The last three weeks itts gotten flooded with questions that have nothing to
do with setup issues. It makes it more difficult to help on setup issues
wading through all the messages that are important to you but don't have a
damn thing to do with setup. If you can buy Vista, I assume you can read at
some level. Put your general questions on the general group and leave this
one for the setup issues.

If it's Adobe--it don't go here.
If it's driver--it don't go here.
If it's Winmail--it don't go here.
If it's Office related--it sure as hell don't go here and I've answered a
ton of Office questions/Outlook questions and BCM questions on the general
group even though they have their own groups and all their helpers have used
and most have Beta tested Vista for over a year.

CH

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:573E2439-D5DB-4ECE-97F2-7D933F8923E3@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am new to this forum and hope you can help me please. I'll try to be
> brief and to the point.
>
> Just bought a new computer with Vista. It crashed yesterday and was
> advised
> to "start from scratch" and use recovery tool. Just before doing this it
> asked me if I wanted to backup my data. Of course I did on an external
> hard
> drive. Today I have successfully windows and running and it's new again.
> Now I'm ready to restore my back up files.
>
> When I use the Vista back up file utility, it doesn't "see" the backup
> files
> on my external hard drive. When I go into explorer I can see the backup
> files on my external hard drive. When I click on the application file (it
> says it is a "restorewiz application"), it throws me into recovery manager
> and says, "the file restore wizard helps you restore files that you backed
> up
> earlier". So far so good. Then it says "insert the last disk. Please
> insert the latest disk and continue the restore wizard." There is no
> option
> to tell it to look on my external hard drive.
>
> What am I missing? All I want to do is to restore these files which I can
> see on my external hard drive. They are in the folder "MINWINPC" with
> file
> extensions of .fpw. Thanks for any help.
>
> Bruce


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Recovery/Backup/Restore issue/Not a setup install question.
Mr. Harris,

I'm sorry you got up on the wrong side of the bed today. I'm sorry if I
offended you and commited a cardinal sin by making my first post in a wrong
area. You're certainly right. Reinstalling Windows certainly has nothing to
do with the installation and setup area. It will never happen again.

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> This group has been designated Setup for months. Please use it that way.
> The last three weeks itts gotten flooded with questions that have nothing to
> do with setup issues. It makes it more difficult to help on setup issues
> wading through all the messages that are important to you but don't have a
> damn thing to do with setup. If you can buy Vista, I assume you can read at
> some level. Put your general questions on the general group and leave this
> one for the setup issues.
>
> If it's Adobe--it don't go here.
> If it's driver--it don't go here.
> If it's Winmail--it don't go here.
> If it's Office related--it sure as hell don't go here and I've answered a
> ton of Office questions/Outlook questions and BCM questions on the general
> group even though they have their own groups and all their helpers have used
> and most have Beta tested Vista for over a year.
>
> CH
>
> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:573E2439-D5DB-4ECE-97F2-7D933F8923E3@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am new to this forum and hope you can help me please. I'll try to be
> > brief and to the point.
> >
> > Just bought a new computer with Vista. It crashed yesterday and was
> > advised
> > to "start from scratch" and use recovery tool. Just before doing this it
> > asked me if I wanted to backup my data. Of course I did on an external
> > hard
> > drive. Today I have successfully windows and running and it's new again.
> > Now I'm ready to restore my back up files.
> >
> > When I use the Vista back up file utility, it doesn't "see" the backup
> > files
> > on my external hard drive. When I go into explorer I can see the backup
> > files on my external hard drive. When I click on the application file (it
> > says it is a "restorewiz application"), it throws me into recovery manager
> > and says, "the file restore wizard helps you restore files that you backed
> > up
> > earlier". So far so good. Then it says "insert the last disk. Please
> > insert the latest disk and continue the restore wizard." There is no
> > option
> > to tell it to look on my external hard drive.
> >
> > What am I missing? All I want to do is to restore these files which I can
> > see on my external hard drive. They are in the folder "MINWINPC" with
> > file
> > extensions of .fpw. Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Bruce

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Recovery/Backup/Restore issue/Not a setup install question.
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:52:25 -0800, Bruce
<Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Mr. Harris,
>
>I'm sorry you got up on the wrong side of the bed today.


Sadly there are a lot of Chads on Usenet (newsgroups). They get off on
being what is comically called a nanny or net cop, trying to police
people doing something in their mind is improper etiquette.

Then we have the guys that get po'ed usually with someone that got the
better of them in a discussion and then they just have to announce to
the world they got their revenge by proudly proclaiming they "plonked"
them, which means they placed them in their kill file so they won't
see their posts any more, like if the rest of us care. Don't let such
simpleton's bother you. That's half the fun of visiting newsgroups.

I have such guys for lunch. That's my fun. LOL!




Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007
Bob Mgr
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Recovery/Backup/Restore issue/Not a setup install question.

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
news:O$DkyseUHHA.5100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> This group has been designated Setup for months.


I guess a "installation_setup" procedure is not complete until Vista does
everything you could ever dream of!


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-21-2007
chrislcookie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Recovery/Backup/Restore issue

Bruce

Have you had any luck with this problem. I am having the exact same
issue. I have opened a ticket with Microsoft and they are now in Level
2 support. let me know if you have figured out a way to recover the
data and I will do the same.

CHris


--
chrislcookie
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007
=?Utf-8?B?VGlnYm95?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Recovery/Backup/Restore issue
Wouldn't you know! One thread that has my exact problem, asked very politely
but maybe not in the correct forum, and it draws fire from some know-it-all
whose keystrokes would have been better spent helping. I'll click on "Notify
me of replies" but not so sure it works. Good Luck!

"chrislcookie" wrote:

>
> Bruce
>
> Have you had any luck with this problem. I am having the exact same
> issue. I have opened a ticket with Microsoft and they are now in Level
> 2 support. let me know if you have figured out a way to recover the
> data and I will do the same.
>
> CHris
>
>
> --
> chrislcookie
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2010
thx67
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Recovery/Backup/Restore issue

Count me in too. I have the same problem. Im always sooo careful about
backing up and the one time I need it I cant use it. If you do get
anywhere with microsoft please post it. For what its worth my local pc
shop said "dont use Microsoft backup for anything, just copy the files
you want to keep to an external HDD". Now he tells me! Good luck again


--
thx67
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
backup & restore Lampie microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 16:15
backup and restore????? tony85706 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 05:01
backup and restore center Tim Draper microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 02-28-2007 20:03
Security World: O'Reilly Releases Backup & Recovery Steve Security News 0 02-28-2007 19:12
Complete Backup (and restore) andyistic microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-24-2007 22:31




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:26.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120