Question about the 64 bit edition ordering system

=?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXI=?=

Question about the 64 bit edition ordering system
I just received my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium today. I noticed that
it is the 32 bit edition and to get the 64 bit edition I have to order it
form Microsoft. I have an idea of how to get around this that I wanted to ask
you about.

At http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
It talks about how to do a clean upgrade. It says that when you don't enter
your product key, it will ask you which version you want to install.

Could I take my friends copy of Vista ultimate, and go through the
installation process, but tell it to install Windows Vista Home premium. Then
follow the instructions of reinstalling vista and entering my home premium CD
key?

I guess the short way to ask this confusing question would be. Can I use a
home premium CD Key and a ultimate disc, to install the 64 bit home premium
edition.
Thanks,
- Tyler
Michelle Steiner

Re: Question about the 64 bit edition ordering system
Tyler <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I just received my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium today. I noticed that
> it is the 32 bit edition and to get the 64 bit edition I have to order it
> form Microsoft. I have an idea of how to get around this that I wanted to ask
> you about.
>
> At http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
> It talks about how to do a clean upgrade. It says that when you don't enter
> your product key, it will ask you which version you want to install.
>
> Could I take my friends copy of Vista ultimate, and go through the
> installation process, but tell it to install Windows Vista Home premium. Then
> follow the instructions of reinstalling vista and entering my home premium CD
> key?
>
> I guess the short way to ask this confusing question would be. Can I use a
> home premium CD Key and a ultimate disc, to install the 64 bit home premium
> edition.
> Thanks,
> - Tyler

i can't believe the number of 64-bit questions on here. 64-bit doesn't
gain you much and doesn't mean you'll have a "faster" system, or even
need a faster system. 32-bit is plenty for the foreseeable future.

Ask yourself...

Do you work with molecular modeling?
Do you work with files 1TB in size or larger?
Do you work with grids or clusters?

If you answer No to any or some of the above, you don't need 64-bit.

32-bit will actually be faster in most situations, so the only need to
go with 64-bit is "marketing" for "most" users.
Rock

Re: Question about the 64 bit edition ordering system
"Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I just received my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium today. I noticed that
> it is the 32 bit edition and to get the 64 bit edition I have to order it
> form Microsoft. I have an idea of how to get around this that I wanted to
> ask
> you about.
>
> At http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
> It talks about how to do a clean upgrade. It says that when you don't
> enter
> your product key, it will ask you which version you want to install.
>
> Could I take my friends copy of Vista ultimate, and go through the
> installation process, but tell it to install Windows Vista Home premium.
> Then
> follow the instructions of reinstalling vista and entering my home premium
> CD
> key?
>
> I guess the short way to ask this confusing question would be. Can I use a
> home premium CD Key and a ultimate disc, to install the 64 bit home
> premium
> edition.

Wow your question is confusing, basically because there are a few concepts
you are missing. The answer, though, is yes, as long as your friend's disk
is x64.

There is no Ultimate disk or a Home Premium disk, there is a 32 bit DVD and
a 64 bit DVD. All versions are on each, Home Basic, Premium, Business and
Ultimate. It is the product key that tells the installer what version to
install (VHP, Ultimate, etc.), and what installation paths are available
(upgrade and/or custom install, based on whether it is an upgrade product
key or a full version product key). Your Home Premium product key will work
on both the 32 bit retail DVD and the 64 bit retail DVD.

The only caveats are the friend's disk cannot be OEM, or Volume license. A
retail product key will not work with these.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chad Harris

Re: Question belongs on Vista general group.
Why not post this in the Vista general group? It's not a setup question.

CH