Can't get Media PLayer to work

Lonwolf

Can't get Media PLayer to work
I've just upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP and now my Media Center won't
play any sound with mpegs, avi's or wmv files. The same goes with my Divx
player, I get the picture but no sound. And yes, my sound card is installed
and working correctly, according to the Device Manager.
Is anyone else having this problem?

Hugh Jass

Re: Can't get Media PLayer to work
You don't have the proper codec installed. Search for Klite codec.

"Lonwolf" <lon1wolf@cox.net> wrote in message
news:z_GdnQCDHIK_aEzYnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> I've just upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP and now my Media Center won't
> play any sound with mpegs, avi's or wmv files. The same goes with my Divx
> player, I get the picture but no sound. And yes, my sound card is
> installed and working correctly, according to the Device Manager.
> Is anyone else having this problem?

Lonwolf

Re: Can't get Media PLayer to work
Did that, didn't work. Windows Media Played blocks all attempts to install
other codecs. Now Vista has crashed my system. I'm going back to XP, when I
get my system repaired!!

Chad Harris

Re: Can't get Media PLayer to work/Belongs on Vista general group.
Why not post this in the Vista general group? It's not a setup question.

CH

"Lonwolf" <lon1wolf@cox.net> wrote in message
news:z_GdnQCDHIK_aEzYnZ2dnUVZ_tWhnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> I've just upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP and now my Media Center won't
> play any sound with mpegs, avi's or wmv files. The same goes with my Divx
> player, I get the picture but no sound. And yes, my sound card is
> installed and working correctly, according to the Device Manager.
> Is anyone else having this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsa2g=?=

RE: Can't get Media PLayer to work
Yes, I upgraded to the same and had the same problem. Downloading and
intalling Vista codec pack took care of most of it, although I hate third
party "packs" as they usually make things worse, but this one did ok.

The last problem was certain avi's where the player would go looking for a
codec, find it, but then no video. I am not sure exactly what problem I
stumbled into to fix it, but it looks like a currupt driver on the install
disk. Hope this helps.....

I went back and found one of the avi files that would
not load and found that it was made with indeo 5.1 video, so on a long shot,
I went and found 5.1 codec. It's a bit tough to load because you have to get
rid of 2 files before you can go backwards and the permission loop is a bit
much. Anyway, Once you get the two files renamed I think one of them is
41_32.ax and the other is 50_32.dll? Anyway, if you try to load the indeo
drivers without removing them first, it will tell you what they are without
any real problems.

Now, after you get back to 5.1, your problem is still there. But hold off on
stoning me just yet.......

Go to intel and download the newest indeo drivers, load them, and voila! I
was fixed and all my avi files started working. What this might mean is that
the indeo drivers shipping out on the disks might have a problem or
corrupution. Somebody do the same fix and lets see where to go from there!

Have a good one!
Dan