organizing All Programs

kjk

organizing All Programs
Hi Folks,

Can somebody tell me how to organize the All Programs list the way I
want it, instead of the way Bill wants it? Any advice would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
Adam Albright

Re: organizing All Programs
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:42:33 GMT, kjk <kjk@usa.com> wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Can somebody tell me how to organize the All Programs list the way I
>want it, instead of the way Bill wants it? Any advice would be much
>appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Ken

They don't make it easy...

1. Go to Windows Explorer.

2. C drive, expand to Program Data

3. Expand Program Data to Microsoft

4. Expand Microsoft to Windows

5. Expand Windows to Start Menu

6. Expand Start Menu to Programs

Now finally you can add new folders here then move things around from
where they currently are to where you want them. Do so carefully. It
is easy to drag and drop and end up putting them in the wrong place.
While slower, best to Cut and paste so you know you picked the folder
you actually want.

Another trick...

If your desktop is kind of cluttered you can hide all those short cuts
yet still have them quickly available.

1. Pick any shortcut on your desktop. Right click it

2. Under properties select add to Quick Launch

3. Now look at the bottom left corner of the task bar just right of
the new start button. See that little double arrow pointing right?

Chick on it and a list of all the shortcuts you moved to Quick
Lanuch apppear. To sort the list, right click on a blank space
when this pop up appears.

Once you're happy and are sure all the shortcuts are now in the Quick
Launch pop up area and they all work as they should you can delete the
actual short cuts from the desktop and end up with a much cleaner
desktop.

Chad Harris

Re: organizing All Programs
Nice tips from Adam.

You have 2 separate locations where the All Programs shortcuts may be
located.

1. The All Users folder which is located at
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. To access this folder,
right click All Programs and select Explore All Users.

2. The User folder which is located at C:\Users\<user
name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. To access this
folder, right click All Programs and select Explore. (Where <user name> is
the currently logged on user)

The shortcuts in these folders are placed there by the installation program
for the particular application and may be in either one or both of these
locations depending on how the installation program was configured.

If you want all of the program shortcuts to be seen by any user on the
computer, then customize the All Users folder. If you want these programs to
be seen by only the currently logged in user, then customize the <user name>
folder.

Create the sub-folders you want like Graphics, Sound. Utilities etc under
the All Programs folder and then drag the shortcuts into those folders.

Also:

You can make folders you want and name what you want on desktop and copy
program shortcuts into them and drag them where you want. You could make
copies of the folders you want as well. I don't believe you can hack the
start menu to behave like XP's did. I think they should have retained the
option to have an XP esque Start Menu, and many TBTs told them and the shell
team ignored them.

Good luck,

CH

"kjk" <kjk@usa.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can somebody tell me how to organize the All Programs list the way I
> want it, instead of the way Bill wants it? Any advice would be much
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Ken

kjk

Re: organizing All Programs
Adam & Chad,

Your tips are fantastic. I'm back in control. Thanks.

Ken