Re: Vista dual boot

=?Utf-8?B?SmVuQmluODIy?=

Re: Vista dual boot

I have the opposite problem. My new laptop came with Vista and I needed XP
for a third-party program. I can't get back to Vista. Can someone help?

Thanks!

Jen
"Spirefm" wrote:

> Here:- www.vistabootpro.org/ Colin
>
> "KmrDpr" wrote:
>
> > What happened is when I installed Vista it went to drive C: and pushed XP to
> > drive D:. I can get the info from D; but I can't boot to it. Where do I find
> > VistaBootPro?
> >
> > "Mark D. VandenBerg" wrote:
> >
> > > VistaBootPro or EasyBCD provide a nice GUI for those like me who are not
> > > comfortable with command line editing.

JW

Re: Vista dual boot
Have you tried installing the 3rd party program in XP compatibility?

"JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have the opposite problem. My new laptop came with Vista and I needed
> XP
> for a third-party program. I can't get back to Vista. Can someone help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen
> "Spirefm" wrote:
>
>> Here:- www.vistabootpro.org/ Colin
>>
>> "KmrDpr" wrote:
>>
>> > What happened is when I installed Vista it went to drive C: and pushed
>> > XP to
>> > drive D:. I can get the info from D; but I can't boot to it. Where do I
>> > find
>> > VistaBootPro?

Michael Jennings

Re: Vista dual boot
These are the steps CZ posted
were used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM:

Disk was clean (no partritions)
Boot via Vista DVD
Create C:
Install Vista into C:
Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
(D: is the CD/DVD drive)

Boot via XP CD
Select E: as target
Install XP into E:

When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol

Boot via Vista DVD
Select Repair Your Computer
Select Vistal vol
Select Startup Repair
(no notice of finding an error)
Reboot per prompt

Boot into Vista
Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
Do the BCD backup
Select "Manage OS Entries"
Select "Add new op system entry"
Select "Windows Legacy"
Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
Select drive letter E:
Select Apply

Reboot
Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

"JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F760FAD-9CA8-41DF-A619-2A0EC0073A98@microsoft.com...

> I have the opposite problem. My new laptop came with Vista and I needed XP
> for a third-party program. I can't get back to Vista. Can someone help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen
> "Spirefm" wrote:
>
>> Here:- www.vistabootpro.org/ Colin
>>
>> "KmrDpr" wrote:
>>
>> > What happened is when I installed Vista it went to drive C: and pushed XP to
>> > drive D:. I can get the info from D; but I can't boot to it. Where do I find
>> > VistaBootPro?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVuQmluODIy?=

Re: Vista dual boot

Where can I find the "ntldr" file?

Jen

"Michael Jennings" wrote:

> These are the steps CZ posted
> were used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM:
>
> Disk was clean (no partritions)
> Boot via Vista DVD
> Create C:
> Install Vista into C:
> Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
> (D: is the CD/DVD drive)
>
> Boot via XP CD
> Select E: as target
> Install XP into E:
>
> When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
> Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol
>
> Boot via Vista DVD
> Select Repair Your Computer
> Select Vistal vol
> Select Startup Repair
> (no notice of finding an error)
> Reboot per prompt
>
> Boot into Vista
> Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
> Do the BCD backup
> Select "Manage OS Entries"
> Select "Add new op system entry"
> Select "Windows Legacy"
> Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
> Select drive letter E:
> Select Apply
>
> Reboot
> Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu
>
> "JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F760FAD-9CA8-41DF-A619-2A0EC0073A98@microsoft.com...
> >
> > I have the opposite problem. My new laptop came with Vista and I needed XP
> > for a third-party program. I can't get back to Vista. Can someone help?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jen
> > "Spirefm" wrote:
> >
> >> Here:- www.vistabootpro.org/ Colin

Michael Jennings

Re: Vista dual boot
Normally, in a dual boot, XP goes in first and then Vista goes in.
CZ found a way to do it the other way around, but it's complicated.

If you're booting XP, ntldr is in C:\ already. CZ's instructions assume
a fresh start, first installing Vista from DVD, then XP from CD. If you
don't have a Vista DVD, you'll have to figure things differently.

"JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB96AA2F-8D69-4B4A-8C21-E9EBB0136CBD@microsoft.com...

> Where can I find the "ntldr" file?
>
> Jen
>
> "Michael Jennings" wrote:
>
>> These are the steps CZ posted
>> were used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM:
>>
>> Disk was clean (no partritions)
>> Boot via Vista DVD
>> Create C:
>> Install Vista into C:
>> Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
>> (D: is the CD/DVD drive)
>>
>> Boot via XP CD
>> Select E: as target
>> Install XP into E:
>>
>> When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
>> Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol
>>
>> Boot via Vista DVD
>> Select Repair Your Computer
>> Select Vistal vol
>> Select Startup Repair
>> (no notice of finding an error)
>> Reboot per prompt
>>
>> Boot into Vista
>> Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
>> Do the BCD backup
>> Select "Manage OS Entries"
>> Select "Add new op system entry"
>> Select "Windows Legacy"
>> Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
>> Select drive letter E:
>> Select Apply
>>
>> Reboot
>> Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu
>>
>> "JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F760FAD-9CA8-41DF-A619-2A0EC0073A98@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > I have the opposite problem. My new laptop came with Vista and I needed XP
>> > for a third-party program. I can't get back to Vista. Can someone help?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Jen

=?Utf-8?B?SmVuQmluODIy?=

Re: Vista dual boot
I don't have a Vista DVD, so I'm not sure where to find the ntldr file.

Jen

"Michael Jennings" wrote:

> Normally, in a dual boot, XP goes in first and then Vista goes in.
> CZ found a way to do it the other way around, but it's complicated.
>
> If you're booting XP, ntldr is in C:\ already. CZ's instructions assume
> a fresh start, first installing Vista from DVD, then XP from CD. If you
> don't have a Vista DVD, you'll have to figure things differently.
>
> "JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB96AA2F-8D69-4B4A-8C21-E9EBB0136CBD@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Where can I find the "ntldr" file?
> >
> > Jen
> >
> > "Michael Jennings" wrote:
> >
> >> These are the steps CZ posted
> >> were used to successfully install XP after Vista RTM:
> >>
> >> Disk was clean (no partritions)
> >> Boot via Vista DVD
> >> Create C:
> >> Install Vista into C:
> >> Boot into Vista, create E: via Disk Mgr
> >> (D: is the CD/DVD drive)
> >>
> >> Boot via XP CD
> >> Select E: as target
> >> Install XP into E:
> >>
> >> When XP install is finished, computer will only boot into XP
> >> Copy ntldr file from Vista vol into root of XP vol
> >>
> >> Boot via Vista DVD
> >> Select Repair Your Computer
> >> Select Vistal vol
> >> Select Startup Repair
> >> (no notice of finding an error)
> >> Reboot per prompt
> >>
> >> Boot into Vista
> >> Install VistaBootPro v3.1 beta
> >> Do the BCD backup
> >> Select "Manage OS Entries"
> >> Select "Add new op system entry"
> >> Select "Windows Legacy"
> >> Enter a name (to show in the Vista boot mgr menu)
> >> Select drive letter E:
> >> Select Apply
> >>
> >> Reboot
> >> Select XP op system from the Vista boot mgr menu

=?Utf-8?B?SmVuQmluODIy?=

Re: Vista dual boot
Actually, I'd be willing to totally get rid of XP and try again if I could
find out how to do that!

"JenBin822" wrote:

> I don't have a Vista DVD, so I'm not sure where to find the ntldr file.
>
> Jen
>

> "Michael Jennings" wrote:
>
> > Normally, in a dual boot, XP goes in first and then Vista goes in.
> > CZ found a way to do it the other way around, but it's complicated.
> >
> > If you're booting XP, ntldr is in C:\ already. CZ's instructions assume
> > a fresh start, first installing Vista from DVD, then XP from CD. If you
> > don't have a Vista DVD, you'll have to figure things differently.
> >
> > "JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB96AA2F-8D69-4B4A-8C21-E9EBB0136CBD@microsoft.com...
> > >
> > > Where can I find the "ntldr" file?
> > >
> > > Jen

Michael Jennings

Re: Vista dual boot
Who made your laptop? How did you get it?

If your laptop was purchased recently you can get support from
the manufacturer. A tech for the outfit that made your laptop can
find out what you did exactly, and advise what steps you must
take to recover Vista according to their system.

"JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57CAD35F-9F2B-4840-BFB2-EFF6DE2DD995@microsoft.com...
> Actually, I'd be willing to totally get rid of XP and try again if I could
> find out how to do that!
>
> "JenBin822" wrote:
>
>> I don't have a Vista DVD, so I'm not sure where to find the ntldr file.
>>
>> Jen
>>

>> "Michael Jennings" wrote:
>>
>> > Normally, in a dual boot, XP goes in first and then Vista goes in.
>> > CZ found a way to do it the other way around, but it's complicated.
>> >
>> > If you're booting XP, ntldr is in C:\ already. CZ's instructions assume
>> > a fresh start, first installing Vista from DVD, then XP from CD. If you
>> > don't have a Vista DVD, you'll have to figure things differently.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVuQmluODIy?=

Re: Vista dual boot
It is an HP that I bought on Friday. I've called them and ordered the reboot
disks. Since this is my first ever Windows system (I'm usually a Mac girl),
I'm even more frustrated, I think.....

"Michael Jennings" wrote:

> Who made your laptop? How did you get it?
>
> If your laptop was purchased recently you can get support from
> the manufacturer. A tech for the outfit that made your laptop can
> find out what you did exactly, and advise what steps you must
> take to recover Vista according to their system.
>
> "JenBin822" <JenBin822@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57CAD35F-9F2B-4840-BFB2-EFF6DE2DD995@microsoft.com...
> > Actually, I'd be willing to totally get rid of XP and try again if I could
> > find out how to do that!
> >
> > "JenBin822" wrote:
> >
> >> I don't have a Vista DVD, so I'm not sure where to find the ntldr file.
> >>
> >> Jen

Michael Jennings

Re: Vista dual boot
I read a review by a Mac guy who tried switching to Vista. He liked it,
but decided to go back to Mac because it vented to the side, not down.
I guess if you'd burned the Vista recovery DVDs before you installed
Windows XP, you wouldn't be stuck waiting for them to be delivered.

I think Windows is rougher than Mac. It isn't as gentle and considerate.
Windows seems to be a better value to most - more people use it, but
you need to be more guarded because of that. Why hide real email:
http://www.microsoft.com/library/gal...mailAndPrivacy

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/ie/...groups101.mspx
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resou...ommunities.htm