Connecting Vista Ultimate / x64 to an Windows 2003 (or 2000) domai

=?Utf-8?B?SmFja0ZsYXNo?=

Connecting Vista Ultimate / x64 to an Windows 2003 (or 2000) domai
Hi Fellows,

Can you please review those questions so we can consider deployment of Vista
on the current infrastructure:

1. Can we then look into approving if there are no security or operational
issues
if I login my Vista / X64 machine to Win3K or Win2K domain ?
1.1 Might it ruin my account settings if I login in parallel from XP SP2
/ x86 ?
2. Can I use Office 2003 on my Vista X64 machine with no issues as I hook to
my
exchange account that runs on Server 2003 / X86 ?
2.1 Note that I would still like to keep my XP + Office 2003 environment
in
parallelintact with no issues that the Vista / Office might cause.
3. Can I use Office 2007 on my Vista X64 or XP SP2 / X86 machine with
no issues as I hook to my exchange account that runs on Server 2003 /
X86 ?
Note that I would still like to keep my XP + Office 2003 environment
intact with
no issues that the Vista / Office might cause.

Thanks,

Jack.
Mike Brannigan

Re: Connecting Vista Ultimate / x64 to an Windows 2003 (or 2000) domai
"JackFlash" <JackFlash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Fellows,
>
> Can you please review those questions so we can consider deployment
> of Vista
> on the current infrastructure:
>
> 1. Can we then look into approving if there are no security or
> operational
> issues
> if I login my Vista / X64 machine to Win3K or Win2K domain ?

No problems - Vista is fully supported (x86 or x64) in a 2003/2000
Active Directory environment

> 1.1 Might it ruin my account settings if I login in parallel from
> XP SP2
> / x86 ?

Your profile should work across both platforms if you are using
roaming profiles.

> 2. Can I use Office 2003 on my Vista X64 machine with no issues as I
> hook to
> my
> exchange account that runs on Server 2003 / X86 ?

Office 2003 is supported on Vista and Outlook will function without
issue.

> 2.1 Note that I would still like to keep my XP + Office 2003
> environment
> in
> parallelintact with no issues that the Vista / Office might
> cause.

No problems if they are on separte disks or partitions on your PC.

> 3. Can I use Office 2007 on my Vista X64 or XP SP2 / X86 machine
> with
> no issues as I hook to my exchange account that runs on Server
> 2003 /
> X86 ?

Yes

> Note that I would still like to keep my XP + Office 2003
> environment
> intact with
> no issues that the Vista / Office might cause.

No issues with mixed access of Vista x64/Outlook 2007 and XP/Outlook
203 or XPSp2/Outlook 2007 to the same mailbox.
You can mix clients Vista and XPSP2 and platforms x64 and x86 and
Outlook 2003 and 2007 against the same mailbox without issue.

--

Mike Brannigan

=?Utf-8?B?SmFja0ZsYXNo?=

Re: Connecting Vista Ultimate / x64 to an Windows 2003 (or 2000) d
Many thanks Mike for your quick and complete response !

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "JackFlash" <JackFlash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Fellows,
> >
> > Can you please review those questions so we can consider deployment
> > of Vista
> > on the current infrastructure:
> >
> > 1. Can we then look into approving if there are no security or
> > operational
> > issues
> > if I login my Vista / X64 machine to Win3K or Win2K domain ?

> No problems - Vista is fully supported (x86 or x64) in a 2003/2000
> Active Directory environment
>
> > 1.1 Might it ruin my account settings if I login in parallel from
> > XP SP2
> > / x86 ?

> Your profile should work across both platforms if you are using
> roaming profiles.
>
> > 2. Can I use Office 2003 on my Vista X64 machine with no issues as I
> > hook to
> > my
> > exchange account that runs on Server 2003 / X86 ?

> Office 2003 is supported on Vista and Outlook will function without
> issue.
>
> > 2.1 Note that I would still like to keep my XP + Office 2003
> > environment
> > in
> > parallelintact with no issues that the Vista / Office might
> > cause.

> No problems if they are on separte disks or partitions on your PC.
>
> > 3. Can I use Office 2007 on my Vista X64 or XP SP2 / X86 machine
> > with
> > no issues as I hook to my exchange account that runs on Server
> > 2003 /
> > X86 ?

> Yes
>
> > Note that I would still like to keep my XP + Office 2003
> > environment
> > intact with
> > no issues that the Vista / Office might cause.
> >

> No issues with mixed access of Vista x64/Outlook 2007 and XP/Outlook
> 203 or XPSp2/Outlook 2007 to the same mailbox.
> You can mix clients Vista and XPSP2 and platforms x64 and x86 and
> Outlook 2003 and 2007 against the same mailbox without issue.
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jack.

> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Dave R.

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "JackFlash" <JackFlash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Fellows,
>>
>> Can you please review those questions so we can consider deployment
>> of Vista
>> on the current infrastructure:
>>
>> 1. Can we then look into approving if there are no security or
>> operational
>> issues
>> if I login my Vista / X64 machine to Win3K or Win2K domain ?

> No problems - Vista is fully supported (x86 or x64) in a 2003/2000
> Active Directory environment

No problems is a bit optimistic. The OP would be well advised to look
at the various posings in this and the .networking_sharing and .general
groups relating to Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, file and printer
sharing, logon scripts, etc.

As to the Office 2003, etc., I don't follow those closely at all, but it
would be a good idea to check the Office and Outlook groups for any
interoperability issues.

Regards,

Dave

=?Utf-8?B?SmFja0ZsYXNo?=

Re: Connecting Vista Ultimate / x64 to an Windows 2003 (or 2000) d
Indeed I have also posted to the Office group.
I will take a look at the other groups, but my main concern was about
any major issues I might cause to my original environment or to the domain -
while I assume there would be medium and minor
issues running some of the regular day to day operations on the X64 machine.

> Indeed I have also posted to the Office group.
> I will take a look at the other groups, but my main concern was
> about
> any major issues I might cause to my original environment or to the
> domain -
> while I assume there would be medium and minor
> issues running some of the regular day to day operations on the X64
> machine.

I have worked withy clients with tens of thousands of Vista clients
deployed in 2003 ADs - no major issues.
--

Mike Brannigan