Its shuts down a minute before finishing the upgrade!!

=?Utf-8?B?TXIuIFBvbG8=?=

Its shuts down a minute before finishing the upgrade!!
my laptop is compatible with Vista with no device issues..
i'm trying to upgrade my XP Home to Vista.. everything is all before it
reaches "Completing Upgrade..." where my system shuts down!!
3 times .. same issue!!

any suggestions?
Chad Harris

Re: Its shuts down a minute before finishing the upgrade!!
Mr. Polo--

I am compelled to say this by reflex: Make sure you meticulously clean that
Upgrade DVD.

Do you get a specific error message? You should be. I'm going to show you
some common upgrade errors and also where to check setup logs.

A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930743/en-us

Log files that are created when you upgrade to Windows Vista from an earlier
version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928901/en-us

The following log files are created when an upgrade is successful:•
C:\Windows\Panther\Setupact.log
• C:\Windows\panther\setuperr.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
installation before the computer restarts for the second time:•
C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\Windows\setupapi.log
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
installation after the computer restarts for the second time:•
C:\Windows\panther\setupact.log
• C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
• C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
• C:\Windows\memory.dmp
The following log files are created when an upgrade fails, and then you
restore the desktop:• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
• C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. dev.log
• C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. app.log
• C:\Windows\memory.dmp

Windows Vista setup log file locations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521/en-us

Good luck,

CH

"Mr. Polo" <Mr. Polo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my laptop is compatible with Vista with no device issues..
> i'm trying to upgrade my XP Home to Vista.. everything is all before it
> reaches "Completing Upgrade..." where my system shuts down!!
> 3 times .. same issue!!
>
> any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlLm9uZQ==?=

Re: Its shuts down a minute before finishing the upgrade!!
I had a very similar experience. I tried upgrading from XP to Vista business
edition. Everything ran smoothly throughout the entire process. When I got
through about 55% of the final upgrade section, my computer just restarted.

Now, my computer, when starting, goes through a cycle. For some reason my
keyboard no longer works (driver issue?) and all of the default settings
during the bootup sequence direct me through to a failed install of Vista.
It starts by asking me which OS I want to start up with, Vista (default) or
XP. I can't choose because my keyboard doesn't work at this point. After
'choosing' Vista, it goes on to tell me that Vista has not been installed
properly and asks me if I want to start Vista in Safe Mode, DOS, or Normal
(default). Since Vista has not been installed correctly, the Normal mode
does not work. This takes me to a very pretty blue screen that has the
phrase IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and then we get to do the whole thing over
again. It's like a very boring roller coaster ride that won't let you off.

I'm going to try taking my hard drive out and hooking it up to my other
computer (lucky I have it still!) and see if I can't remove the Vista boot
files.

If anyone has any other suggestions, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Mr. Polo--
>
> I am compelled to say this by reflex: Make sure you meticulously clean that
> Upgrade DVD.
>
> Do you get a specific error message? You should be. I'm going to show you
> some common upgrade errors and also where to check setup logs.
>
> A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
> troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
> Windows Vista

> Log files that are created when you upgrade to Windows Vista from an earlier
> version of Windows

> The following log files are created when an upgrade is successful:•
> C:\Windows\Panther\Setupact.log
> • C:\Windows\panther\setuperr.log
> • C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
> • C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
> • C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
> • C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
> • C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
> The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
> installation before the computer restarts for the second time:•
> C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
> • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
> • C:\Windows\setupapi.log
> The following log files are created when an upgrade fails during
> installation after the computer restarts for the second time:•
> C:\Windows\panther\setupact.log
> • C:\Windows\panther\miglog.xml
> • C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
> • C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log
> • C:\Windows\panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
> • C:\Windows\panther\PostApplyPnPList.log
> • C:\Windows\memory.dmp
> The following log files are created when an upgrade fails, and then you
> restore the desktop:• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log
> • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\miglog.xml
> • C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. dev.log
> • C:\$Windows.~BT\sources\panther\setupapi\setupapi. app.log
> • C:\Windows\memory.dmp
>

> Windows Vista setup log file locations
>

> Good luck,
>
> CH
>

> "Mr. Polo" <Mr. Polo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my laptop is compatible with Vista with no device issues..
> > i'm trying to upgrade my XP Home to Vista.. everything is all before it
> > reaches "Completing Upgrade..." where my system shuts down!!
> > 3 times .. same issue!!
> >
> > any suggestions?

Adam Albright

Re: Its shuts down a minute before finishing the upgrade!!
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:26:00 -0800, the.one
<theone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I had a very similar experience. I tried upgrading from XP to Vista business
>edition. Everything ran smoothly throughout the entire process. When I got
>through about 55% of the final upgrade section, my computer just restarted.
>
>Now, my computer, when starting, goes through a cycle. For some reason my
>keyboard no longer works (driver issue?) and all of the default settings
>during the bootup sequence direct me through to a failed install of Vista.
>It starts by asking me which OS I want to start up with, Vista (default) or
>XP. I can't choose because my keyboard doesn't work at this point. After
>'choosing' Vista, it goes on to tell me that Vista has not been installed
>properly and asks me if I want to start Vista in Safe Mode, DOS, or Normal
>(default). Since Vista has not been installed correctly, the Normal mode
>does not work. This takes me to a very pretty blue screen that has the
>phrase IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and then we get to do the whole thing over
>again. It's like a very boring roller coaster ride that won't let you off.
>
>I'm going to try taking my hard drive out and hooking it up to my other
>computer (lucky I have it still!) and see if I can't remove the Vista boot
>files.

Is your keyboard a UBS variety? If so there could be a driver issue
with it. I would suggest you try substituting the keyboard and see if
you then can get into safe mode. If then its possible to have a normal
boot into Vista immediately go to Device Manager (from control panel)
find the keyboard line (probably has either a yellow or red flag) then
delete whatever line is there to remove any driver. Now shut down.
Replace with your original USB keyboard and keep your fingers crossed
now that Vista was able to boot it should "find new hardware" and now
be successful in installng a generic but Vista capable driver for your
keyboard. Even if your keyboard isn't USB, substituting another may
solve your problem following the same steps. Worth a try, won't hurt
nothing.