Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIEp1bmtpZQ==?=

Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
I try to do Clean Install upgrade but my Toshiba G30 reads it as an
alternative to loading current OS, I want it to start vista installation,
what can I do?

Rock

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
"Office Junkie" <OfficeJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I try to do Clean Install upgrade but my Toshiba G30 reads it as an
> alternative to loading current OS, I want it to start vista installation,
> what can I do?

You're post is unclear. To do an in place upgrade, assuming the XP OS and
the Vista version you are going to allow it, is achieved by starting the
upgrade from the desktop of the installed XP.

How to install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chad Harris

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
Office Junkie--

Yep as Rock says--your post is vague, but it sounds like you aren't using
the legacy OS--officially, you must install and activate the legacy OS
either XP or Win 2K to upgrade Vista.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

unless that is, you use the workarounds for using the legacy OS to upgrade

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

As I understand it, MSFT is not planning to address these workarounds after
huffing and puffing and MSFT Press fanfaring and Wagner Edstrom McCann
Ericson and using their lawyuhs to blog "Yabetta watch out; Ya betta not
shout SPP is comin' to yo town from Redmon Washunnnnton"

SPP is their eratic method of trying to make sure you have genuine Windows.
It can be hacked by a doggie in about 5 minutes. It is the sequel to the
erratic WGA.

SPP is being deployed for Office 2007 and its 27 related applications as
well.

Google Ed Bott's ZD net blogs on these subjects for an well written
complete analysis of them. I've posted all the links on this group about
five times.

Good luck,

CH

"Office Junkie" <OfficeJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I try to do Clean Install upgrade but my Toshiba G30 reads it as an
> alternative to loading current OS, I want it to start vista installation,
> what can I do?

Rock

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote

> Office Junkie--
>
> Yep as Rock says--your post is vague, but it sounds like you aren't using
> the legacy OS--officially, you must install and activate the legacy OS
> either XP or Win 2K to upgrade Vista.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> unless that is, you use the workarounds for using the legacy OS to upgrade
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
>
> http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201
>
> As I understand it, MSFT is not planning to address these workarounds
> after
> huffing and puffing and MSFT Press fanfaring and Wagner Edstrom McCann
> Ericson and using their lawyuhs to blog "Yabetta watch out; Ya betta not
> shout SPP is comin' to yo town from Redmon Washunnnnton"
>
> SPP is their eratic method of trying to make sure you have genuine
> Windows.
> It can be hacked by a doggie in about 5 minutes. It is the sequel to the
> erratic WGA.
>
> SPP is being deployed for Office 2007 and its 27 related applications as
> well.
>
> Google Ed Bott's ZD net blogs on these subjects for an well written
> complete analysis of them. I've posted all the links on this group about
> five times.

> "Office Junkie" <OfficeJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I try to do Clean Install upgrade but my Toshiba G30 reads it as an
>> alternative to loading current OS, I want it to start vista installation,
>> what can I do?

After seeing your reply and reading his post again, with a different tempo
and connection of words, I finally see what he was asking..lol. For the
life of me I couldn't get it the first time around.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIEp1bmtpZQ==?=

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
Sorry my bad, I hope this is better

I'm trying to upgrade my xp mce 2005 to Vista Ultimate, after Gathering
Files is completed, my laptop reboots then Im greeted by the blue crash
screen of death that says sessions3 initialization failed. what can I do?

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIEp1bmtpZQ==?=

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
When I try to upgrade xp mce to vista I get this:
http://tabbon.up.seesaa.net/image/SE...thumbnail2.JPG
Rock

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
"Office Junkie" <OfficeJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Sorry my bad, I hope this is better
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my xp mce 2005 to Vista Ultimate, after Gathering
> Files is completed, my laptop reboots then Im greeted by the blue crash
> screen of death that says sessions3 initialization failed. what can I do?

You need to provide more information. What is the computer, the
motherboard, the chipset, what is the configuration, how many drives, what
kind - SATA or PATA, is there a raid configuration, what drivers for that,
how are they partitioned, what is the video card and drivers, where is XP
installed, where are you trying to install Vista, what process/steps do you
follow in doing the upgrade, did you run the upgrade advisor, check for
Vista drivers for all the hardware and check for compatibility of all the
installed software? What was the condition of the XP installation before
the upgrade, was it running well, free of malware and viruses?

Maybe with more info someone might be able to give some focused help.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIEp1bmtpZQ==?=

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
Oh yes sorry for that

Its a Toshiba Qosmio G30, preloaded with MCE 2005. It has Nvidia 7600 256 mb
graphics card, 2GB ram, 2 HDDs. Its NFTS which is configured for vista
installation. HDD are SATA. I upgraded the BIOS from toshiba website, to
3.20. which is the only driver out for my model.

Yes I ran the advisor, and it told me to remove 3 specific apps all
belonging to toshiba, and so i did. They were Config Free, Bluetooth stack
for Toshiba, and DVD-RAM driver. but there were whole bunch of yellow marked
ones but I ignored them. Then the setup begins, copying files, gathering
files, expanding files, then it needs to reboot to continue, during reboot I
see the vista loading animation, then it crashed and shows:

SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
*** STOP: 0X0000006F (0X0000009D, 0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Says if you added hardware or software remove them blabla Since this is a
laptop I cant install hardware anyway, and I always try the software portion
after a clean recovery installation of MCE 2005.

Having said that I try upgrading immediately after fresh oem os install
without installing any 3rd party softwares like virus scanners etc, so yes xp
mce is running very well.

my partitions are C and D, where xp is installed on C, total size for both
drives are 220GB. and after a hard research I learned the processor was
32-bit, so no surprizes there, I always attempted with 32 bit DVD anyway. but
it does support 64 bit too, but I never tried 64 bit installation.
Rock

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
"Office Junkie" <OfficeJunkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Oh yes sorry for that
>
> Its a Toshiba Qosmio G30, preloaded with MCE 2005. It has Nvidia 7600 256
> mb
> graphics card, 2GB ram, 2 HDDs. Its NFTS which is configured for vista
> installation. HDD are SATA. I upgraded the BIOS from toshiba website, to
> 3.20. which is the only driver out for my model.
>
> Yes I ran the advisor, and it told me to remove 3 specific apps all
> belonging to toshiba, and so i did. They were Config Free, Bluetooth stack
> for Toshiba, and DVD-RAM driver. but there were whole bunch of yellow
> marked
> ones but I ignored them. Then the setup begins, copying files, gathering
> files, expanding files, then it needs to reboot to continue, during reboot
> see the vista loading animation, then it crashed and shows:
>
> SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
> *** STOP: 0X0000006F (0X0000009D, 0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
>
> Says if you added hardware or software remove them blabla Since this is a
> laptop I cant install hardware anyway, and I always try the software
> portion
> after a clean recovery installation of MCE 2005.
>
> Having said that I try upgrading immediately after fresh oem os install
> without installing any 3rd party softwares like virus scanners etc, so yes
> xp
> mce is running very well.
>
> my partitions are C and D, where xp is installed on C, total size for both
> drives are 220GB. and after a hard research I learned the processor was
> 32-bit, so no surprizes there, I always attempted with 32 bit DVD anyway.
> but
> it does support 64 bit too, but I never tried 64 bit installation.

If the 6F stop error is similar in Vista to the XP, then this occurs during
the time the Windows Executive is being initialized during the startup
process. Normally this means a problem with a device driver or a corrupt
system file needed for startup. Did you check on the Toshiba site for Vista
compatible drivers for your hardware?

What where the yellow items flagged by the Upgrade Advisor that you ignored?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIEp1bmtpZQ==?=

Re: Ultimate Upgrade cant be used as Boot?
Im still getting calls from microsoft tech support but none of them could
solve this, today they said my dvd rom was causing the error so we copied all
the upgrade files into the hard drive and tried it from there, still no use.
they made me do clean installs, the process where applications dont matter,
still it crashes.

ah man..