Change "User" name

Hapkido

Change "User" name
I took delivery of an Acer Aspire notebook for a client that came with Vista
Home Premium installed. The wholesaler used my name for the installation so
it appears under "C:\Users". For obvious reasons I would like to change this
name to the name of the client. How can I do that?

I've changed the "User Account" name to the client's name but my still
appears as the "registered owner", assuming that is what the name under
"Users" is.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Change "User" name
Hi Hapkido,

Why not create a new user account and delete the old one?

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O$7wpUyTHHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
I took delivery of an Acer Aspire notebook for a client that came with Vista
Home Premium installed. The wholesaler used my name for the installation so
it appears under "C:\Users". For obvious reasons I would like to change this
name to the name of the client. How can I do that?

I've changed the "User Account" name to the client's name but my still
appears as the "registered owner", assuming that is what the name under
"Users" is.

Hapkido

Re: Change "User" name
Ramesh..... well thanks for that information even though it is after the
fact. I eventually figured it out after first changing the "Registered
Owner" name in the Registry, which I also needed to do but hoped it would
accomplish the other too, but didn't. So after first changing every single
instance of my own name in the Registry with my client's name, which didn't
work either, in fact it messed up the account when logging in.... I tried
exactly what you suggested... i.e., first renaming the original account,
creating a new account with my client's name and then deleting that original
renamed account. PERFECT. Of course, all the configuration settings I had
done on the original account had to be redone. But at least now everything
is as it should be.

Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless..... now I know. hehe

Hi Hapkido,

Why not create a new user account and delete the old one?

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Hapkido" <hapkidomeister@gmail.com> wrote in message
I took delivery of an Acer Aspire notebook for a client that came with Vista
Home Premium installed. The wholesaler used my name for the installation so
it appears under "C:\Users". For obvious reasons I would like to change this
name to the name of the client. How can I do that?

I've changed the "User Account" name to the client's name but my still
appears as the "registered owner", assuming that is what the name under
"Users" is.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Change "User" name
You're welcome, Hapkido. Here is an article I wrote for Windows XP, but might apply to Windows Vista as well. I'll have to test it.

How to rename or move a User Profile folder?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm

FYI..