Drive partitions

Jason

Drive partitions
I was wondering if it is possible to partition my c drive.

My concern is that it also has the OS on it

My question is can this only be done from initial setup, i am aware there
are programs that supposedly do this for active partitions but I have never
seen them in use, Do they work? or can this be done safely using windows etc.

I have 230GB of spare room and need to store a large amount of data without
buying an external HD

Thanks Jason
JerryM

Re: Drive partitions
Yes, you can create other partitions on C: drive.

Right click Computer and select Manage,
Then select Disk management,
open full screen to see all your drives,
Right click on C: drive and select Shrink Volume.

You will be shown how much you can shrink it,
You can change to what ever size you want.

This creates an unallocated space that can be made into a valid partition.

Have fun,
Jerry

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news41C3C15-6438-48EA-83A9-377F26F55169@microsoft.com...
>I was wondering if it is possible to partition my c drive.
>
> My concern is that it also has the OS on it
>
> My question is can this only be done from initial setup, i am aware there
> are programs that supposedly do this for active partitions but I have
> never
> seen them in use, Do they work? or can this be done safely using windows
> etc.
>
> I have 230GB of spare room and need to store a large amount of data
> without
> buying an external HD
>
> Thanks Jason

Jason

Re: Drive partitions
Thanks Jerry,
Now that i have wasted your time posting an XP question in a vista forum I
cant find the shrink volume in disk management.

Is this a vista option?

"JerryM" wrote:

> Yes, you can create other partitions on C: drive.
>
> Right click Computer and select Manage,
> Then select Disk management,
> open full screen to see all your drives,
> Right click on C: drive and select Shrink Volume.
>
> You will be shown how much you can shrink it,
> You can change to what ever size you want.
>
> This creates an unallocated space that can be made into a valid partition.
>
> Have fun,
> Jerry
>
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news41C3C15-6438-48EA-83A9-377F26F55169@microsoft.com...
> >I was wondering if it is possible to partition my c drive.
> >
> > My concern is that it also has the OS on it
> >
> > My question is can this only be done from initial setup, i am aware there
> > are programs that supposedly do this for active partitions but I have
> > never
> > seen them in use, Do they work? or can this be done safely using windows
> > etc.
> >
> > I have 230GB of spare room and need to store a large amount of data
> > without
> > buying an external HD
> >
> > Thanks Jason

JerryM

Re: Drive partitions
Hi, Jason,

You are stuck in XP unless you download a free partition manager by the name
of BootIt NG.

Do a Google search for it.

news6412F6F-BDA8-4D0B-8A52-72EDFEC5871C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Jerry,
> Now that i have wasted your time posting an XP question in a vista forum I
> cant find the shrink volume in disk management.
>
> Is this a vista option?
>
> "JerryM" wrote:
>
>> Yes, you can create other partitions on C: drive.
>>
>> Right click Computer and select Manage,
>> Then select Disk management,
>> open full screen to see all your drives,
>> Right click on C: drive and select Shrink Volume.
>>
>> You will be shown how much you can shrink it,
>> You can change to what ever size you want.
>>
>> This creates an unallocated space that can be made into a valid
>> partition.
>>
>> Have fun,
>> Jerry
>>
>> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news41C3C15-6438-48EA-83A9-377F26F55169@microsoft.com...
>> >I was wondering if it is possible to partition my c drive.
>> >
>> > My concern is that it also has the OS on it
>> >
>> > My question is can this only be done from initial setup, i am aware
>> > there
>> > are programs that supposedly do this for active partitions but I have
>> > never
>> > seen them in use, Do they work? or can this be done safely using
>> > windows
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > I have 230GB of spare room and need to store a large amount of data
>> > without
>> > buying an external HD
>> >
>> > Thanks Jason

Mick Murphy