File transfer

=?Utf-8?B?c2lybWFnbnVz?=

File transfer
I backed up My Docs and all Outlook files on an external HD, thinking it
would be easy to restore those after installing Vista Home Prwemium. When I
try to import my old Outlook files from the HD to Outlook 2007 on my
computer, I am denied access to the old files--I don't have permission, I am
told. And I cannot figure out how to copy My Docs from the HD to my
computer. Is there no equivalent of Windows Explorer in Vista? This should
be so simple--I have done it before with XP, but I am at a loss. Anybody got
an answer?
Steve Cochran

Re: File transfer
Right click on the Start button and choose Explore. The see if you can get
to the external drive under Computer. "My Documents" on the new computer is
a fake directory that is not accessible and has been replaced by Documents.
See if you can copy the pst file from the drive to your Documents (or
Desktop) and then see if you can import from that.

Also see: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm

steve

"sirmagnus" <sirmagnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I backed up My Docs and all Outlook files on an external HD, thinking it
> would be easy to restore those after installing Vista Home Prwemium. When
> try to import my old Outlook files from the HD to Outlook 2007 on my
> computer, I am denied access to the old files--I don't have permission, I
> am
> told. And I cannot figure out how to copy My Docs from the HD to my
> computer. Is there no equivalent of Windows Explorer in Vista? This
> should
> be so simple--I have done it before with XP, but I am at a loss. Anybody
> got
> an answer?

=?Utf-8?B?c2lybWFnbnVz?=

Re: File transfer
Thanks a bunch. That was very helpful.

I got the folders copies to the C drive on my computer, but when I imported
them to Outlook, they formed a redundant set of folders--i.e., I had two
incoming folders, two outgoing folders, etc. When I tried to drag one folder
to the other, the result was a subfolder with the same name as the folder.

Any ideas how to solve this one?

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> Right click on the Start button and choose Explore. The see if you can get
> to the external drive under Computer. "My Documents" on the new computer is
> a fake directory that is not accessible and has been replaced by Documents.
> See if you can copy the pst file from the drive to your Documents (or
> Desktop) and then see if you can import from that.
>
> Also see: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm
>
> steve
>
> "sirmagnus" <sirmagnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I backed up My Docs and all Outlook files on an external HD, thinking it
> > would be easy to restore those after installing Vista Home Prwemium. When
> > try to import my old Outlook files from the HD to Outlook 2007 on my
> > computer, I am denied access to the old files--I don't have permission, I
> > am
> > told. And I cannot figure out how to copy My Docs from the HD to my
> > computer. Is there no equivalent of Windows Explorer in Vista? This
> > should
> > be so simple--I have done it before with XP, but I am at a loss. Anybody
> > got
> > an answer?

Steve Cochran

Re: File transfer
No. I don't use Outlook much.

> Thanks a bunch. That was very helpful.
>
> I got the folders copies to the C drive on my computer, but when I
> imported
> them to Outlook, they formed a redundant set of folders--i.e., I had two
> incoming folders, two outgoing folders, etc. When I tried to drag one
> folder
> to the other, the result was a subfolder with the same name as the folder.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this one?
>
> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>
>> Right click on the Start button and choose Explore. The see if you can
>> get
>> to the external drive under Computer. "My Documents" on the new computer
>> is
>> a fake directory that is not accessible and has been replaced by
>> Documents.
>> See if you can copy the pst file from the drive to your Documents (or
>> Desktop) and then see if you can import from that.
>>
>> Also see: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "sirmagnus" <sirmagnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I backed up My Docs and all Outlook files on an external HD, thinking it
>> > would be easy to restore those after installing Vista Home Prwemium.
>> > When
>> > try to import my old Outlook files from the HD to Outlook 2007 on my
>> > computer, I am denied access to the old files--I don't have permission,
>> > am
>> > told. And I cannot figure out how to copy My Docs from the HD to my
>> > computer. Is there no equivalent of Windows Explorer in Vista? This
>> > should
>> > be so simple--I have done it before with XP, but I am at a loss.
>> > Anybody
>> > got
>> > an answer?

=?Utf-8?B?RmxhZ3JlZW4=?=

Re: File transfer
Hi,

How did you import them? Did you use the import / export feature of outlook?
You should have. When you import them you should select the option to import
the file "replacing duplicates with items imported".

Flagreen