How to hide old OS from Vista

River Guy

How to hide old OS from Vista
Installed Vista home Premium, retail full
version on partition 2 of first sata drive.
WinXP was on partition 1 and am now dual
booting. Everything installed ok and
seem to be running fine. However, when
running Vista I can see the Xp partition.
All data is stored on a second sata drive
which can be shared with both OS. There
is no need for one OS to see the other OS.

When running WinXP I can hide the Vista
partition by running Disk Management and
removing the drive letter or by using Partition
Magic with no problem. When running Vista,
Disk management will not allow removing the
drive letter from the XP partition. Have not
installed and tried using Partition Magic.

Is there a way to hide the XP Partition
(first volume) from Vista?

Thank you

Jane C

Re: How to hide old OS from Vista
Your Vista install would have put its bootloader onto the first partition of
your primary drive, which is your C drive. Check in disk Management and you
should see your C drive labelled as System drive. You cannot hide the
System drive. Look at the contents of your C drive when you are booted into
Vista, show hidden files and folders, and operating system files. You will
see the Vista boot files there.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"River Guy" <notme@worldlinkisp.com> wrote in message
> Installed Vista home Premium, retail full
> version on partition 2 of first sata drive.
> WinXP was on partition 1 and am now dual
> booting. Everything installed ok and
> seem to be running fine. However, when
> running Vista I can see the Xp partition.
> All data is stored on a second sata drive
> which can be shared with both OS. There
> is no need for one OS to see the other OS.
>
> When running WinXP I can hide the Vista
> partition by running Disk Management and
> removing the drive letter or by using Partition
> Magic with no problem. When running Vista,
> Disk management will not allow removing the
> drive letter from the XP partition. Have not
> installed and tried using Partition Magic.
>
> Is there a way to hide the XP Partition
> (first volume) from Vista?
>
> Thank you

Rock

Re: How to hide old OS from Vista
"River Guy" <notme@worldlinkisp.com> wrote in message
> Installed Vista home Premium, retail full
> version on partition 2 of first sata drive.
> WinXP was on partition 1 and am now dual
> booting. Everything installed ok and
> seem to be running fine. However, when
> running Vista I can see the Xp partition.
> All data is stored on a second sata drive
> which can be shared with both OS. There
> is no need for one OS to see the other OS.
>
> When running WinXP I can hide the Vista
> partition by running Disk Management and
> removing the drive letter or by using Partition
> Magic with no problem. When running Vista,
> Disk management will not allow removing the
> drive letter from the XP partition. Have not
> installed and tried using Partition Magic.
>
> Is there a way to hide the XP Partition
> (first volume) from Vista?

PM will not run in Vista and some have reported problems even with
partitions created/managed by PM out side of Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]