Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...

=?Utf-8?B?aUxMeg==?=

Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
Every time I reboot my computer, it runs in reduced functionality mode. My
Control Panel is blank and I cannot access the Personalize settings. I have
activated windows so I don't understand what the problem is. I have narrowed
it down to the Software Licensing service. It runs, even after reboot but it
needs to be restarted after every reboot in order for me to have the
functionality back.

Needless to say, that it is very annoying to have to restart this service
after every reboot of the PC. What is the problem? Anyone heard of this
before and fixed it?

I "rearmed" windows and reactivated again but the same problem persists. I
was thinking of wiping the HDD and reinstalling from scratch but I thought I
would reach out for help first, in case its something simple I am missing.
=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFVbHRpbWF0ZQ==?=

RE: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
Well I suggest you turn that SLS on to start automatically, that way you
don't have to manually turn it on every time.
Rock

Re: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
"iLLz" <iLLz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Every time I reboot my computer, it runs in reduced functionality mode.
> My
> Control Panel is blank and I cannot access the Personalize settings. I
> have
> activated windows so I don't understand what the problem is. I have
> narrowed
> it down to the Software Licensing service. It runs, even after reboot but
> it
> needs to be restarted after every reboot in order for me to have the
> functionality back.
>
> Needless to say, that it is very annoying to have to restart this service
> after every reboot of the PC. What is the problem? Anyone heard of this
> before and fixed it?
>
> I "rearmed" windows and reactivated again but the same problem persists.
> was thinking of wiping the HDD and reinstalling from scratch but I thought
> would reach out for help first, in case its something simple I am missing.

I'm curious. What does "rearmed" mean?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Jane C

Re: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
The procedure 're-arms' the grace period. Makes it start from scratch
again, so you have a fresh 30 days until you need to activate. It can only
be done 3 times.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "iLLz" <iLLz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>> Every time I reboot my computer, it runs in reduced functionality mode.
>> My
>> Control Panel is blank and I cannot access the Personalize settings. I
>> have
>> activated windows so I don't understand what the problem is. I have
>> narrowed
>> it down to the Software Licensing service. It runs, even after reboot
>> but it
>> needs to be restarted after every reboot in order for me to have the
>> functionality back.
>>
>> Needless to say, that it is very annoying to have to restart this service
>> after every reboot of the PC. What is the problem? Anyone heard of this
>> before and fixed it?
>>
>> I "rearmed" windows and reactivated again but the same problem persists.
>> was thinking of wiping the HDD and reinstalling from scratch but I
>> thought I
>> would reach out for help first, in case its something simple I am
>> missing.

> I'm curious. What does "rearmed" mean?
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
"Jane C" <jellybean@NOSPAMxjgarage.org> wrote

> The procedure 're-arms' the grace period. Makes it start from scratch
> again, so you have a fresh 30 days until you need to activate. It can
> only be done 3 times.

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "iLLz" <iLLz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>>> Every time I reboot my computer, it runs in reduced functionality mode.
>>> My
>>> Control Panel is blank and I cannot access the Personalize settings. I
>>> have
>>> activated windows so I don't understand what the problem is. I have
>>> narrowed
>>> it down to the Software Licensing service. It runs, even after reboot
>>> but it
>>> needs to be restarted after every reboot in order for me to have the
>>> functionality back.
>>>
>>> Needless to say, that it is very annoying to have to restart this
>>> service
>>> after every reboot of the PC. What is the problem? Anyone heard of
>>> this
>>> before and fixed it?
>>>
>>> I "rearmed" windows and reactivated again but the same problem persists.
>>> was thinking of wiping the HDD and reinstalling from scratch but I
>>> thought I
>>> would reach out for help first, in case its something simple I am
>>> missing.

>> I'm curious. What does "rearmed" mean?

Ah, ok, thanks.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?aUxMeg==?=

RE: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
The service is set to AUTO and it is running when I reboot, but I have to
RESTART it to get the functionality back. It's totally wierd and I am
thinking about re-imaging my machine to see if that helps.

"VistaUltimate" wrote:

> Well I suggest you turn that SLS on to start automatically, that way you
> don't have to manually turn it on every time.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
Hello,
Is there an spsys.log file in the \windows\system32 folder?
Is so can you send it to me?
Remove the online from the email name.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?aUxMeg==?= <iLLz@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: RE: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after
activation...
|>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:08:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>The service is set to AUTO and it is running when I reboot, but I have to
|>RESTART it to get the functionality back. It's totally wierd and I am
|>thinking about re-imaging my machine to see if that helps.
|>
|>"VistaUltimate" wrote:
|>
|>> Well I suggest you turn that SLS on to start automatically, that way
you
|>> don't have to manually turn it on every time.

=?Utf-8?B?aUxMeg==?=

RE: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
Hello Darrell. I searched for a spsys.log file and I came up empty. I do
have an spsys.sys file though.

Last night, I totally reformatted my machine and did another clean install.
Everything went well and my control panel was back. I left my PC on all
night and it locked up for some reason, I think it might be my graphics card
drivers they are the Nvidia 8800GTX beta ones that Nvidia still has out. I
think when my PC puts my monitor to sleep the faulty graphics drivers makes
my pc lock up. I rebooted it this morning and my problem is back. No
control panel until after i restart the SL Service. I have already activated
my copy of Vista 3 times trying to rememdy this. Any and all help is welcome.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there an spsys.log file in the \windows\system32 folder?
> Is so can you send it to me?
> Remove the online from the email name.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |>From: =?Utf-8?B?aUxMeg==?= <iLLz@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |>Subject: RE: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after
> activation...
> |>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:08:02 -0800
> |>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |>The service is set to AUTO and it is running when I reboot, but I have to
> |>RESTART it to get the functionality back. It's totally wierd and I am
> |>thinking about re-imaging my machine to see if that helps.

> you

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 05:15:08 -0800, iLLz

>Last night, I totally reformatted my machine and did another clean install.
>Everything went well and my control panel was back. I left my PC on all
>night and it locked up for some reason, I think it might be my graphics card
>drivers they are the Nvidia 8800GTX beta ones that Nvidia still has out.

I never like to see "beta" and "drivers" in the same sentence.

>I think when my PC puts my monitor to sleep the faulty graphics drivers
>makes my pc lock up. I rebooted it this morning and my problem is back.

In previous versions of Windows, one can sometimes see that failure
pattern (suspended monitor stays black screen when attempts are made
to clear the suspended state) where the monitor is incorrectly
specified. IOW, the graphics drivers are OK, but the monitor type is
wrong - for example, when you connect an arbitrary monitor to a Win9x
system and then cancel the PnP "new hardware detected" dialog when PnP
tries to set up the detected monitor type.

Sometimes Windows is still working, sometimes it isn't, and sometimes
the processing has stopped entirely (hard crash).

To see whether the PC is still processing, watch the keyboard state
LEDs when you press CapeLock, numLock etc. If "very busy" or hard
locked up, the LEDs will not respond. If they respond, then at least
you know the processor's still handling keyboard interrupts.

Recent PCs will shut down or suspend when the case power button is
pressed; try that as a way out.

>control panel until after i restart the SL Service. I have already activated
>my copy of Vista 3 times trying to rememdy this. Any and all help is welcome.

SL Service?

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!

Jane C

Re: Windows runs in Reduced Functionality mode after activation...
SL Service = Software Licensing Service. An essential to be running at all
times.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in