Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista - Successful rollback to XP

KramerVA

Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista - Successful rollback to XP
The advisor tells me I have no issues that will prevent me from upgrading. It
said after the upgrade to update my intellipoint software and my messenger
program. There were no hardware conflicts. So now I get all the way through
the upgrade for the third time and I get the starting Windows Vista for the
first time screen. Next it goes back to the Completing Upgrade and then I get
a quick blue screen that says at the bottom Dumping Memory and a reboot which
prompts a rollback to XP Professional. Thankfully that is successful. I have
been in the Windows Root Folder
( C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\ ) and found several log files but, I do
not know how to decipher these. I see the time of the failure but do not know
what caused it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Dwarf

RE: Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista - Successful rollback to XP
Hi Kramer,

If you refer to my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media',
also in this newsgroup, you will find detailed instructions that should solve
your problem. Upgrading to Vista would have been a lot easier had Microsoft
done it the same way as it has with XP, ie ask for the installation disk of
the previous version to be inserted during the install routine. As for the
log files, you need to post the contents for someone to be able to assist you
with them.
Dwarf

"KramerVA" wrote:

> The advisor tells me I have no issues that will prevent me from upgrading. It
> said after the upgrade to update my intellipoint software and my messenger
> program. There were no hardware conflicts. So now I get all the way through
> the upgrade for the third time and I get the starting Windows Vista for the
> first time screen. Next it goes back to the Completing Upgrade and then I get
> a quick blue screen that says at the bottom Dumping Memory and a reboot which
> prompts a rollback to XP Professional. Thankfully that is successful. I have
> been in the Windows Root Folder
> ( C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\ ) and found several log files but, I do
> not know how to decipher these. I see the time of the failure but do not know
> what caused it.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.

KramerVA

RE: Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista - Successful rollback to XP
Thanks. I'll post the files once I return to my other computer. I appreciate
the info.

Kramer