Help installing XP

RyanH

Help installing XP
I already know that theres the whole SATA Driver problem but I think thats
not a problem because I can select a drive to boot the CD from (I'm asking
these questions on the downstairs computer in case anyone was wondering) but
for some reason certain files won't install and then after the setup is
complete it reboots to continue but then says key file are missing and setup
cannot continue. Right now I'm reformatting the C Drive before installing so
will this help. If the problem is the SATA drivers does anyone know whrere I
can download them from? and how to install them without a floppy drive (would
a USB flash drive work?) since my computer didn't come with one.
Malke

Re: Help installing XP
RyanH wrote:
> I already know that theres the whole SATA Driver problem but I think thats
> not a problem because I can select a drive to boot the CD from (I'm asking
> these questions on the downstairs computer in case anyone was wondering) but
> for some reason certain files won't install and then after the setup is
> complete it reboots to continue but then says key file are missing and setup
> cannot continue. Right now I'm reformatting the C Drive before installing so
> will this help. If the problem is the SATA drivers does anyone know whrere I
> can download them from? and how to install them without a floppy drive (would
> a USB flash drive work?) since my computer didn't come with one.

You've posted in a newsgroup for installation issues with the Vista
operating system, not XP. Next time you should try in the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general newsgroup.

In the meantime, failure to install an operating system usually is
because of physical problems with the hardware. Things to check:

1. Check the installation CD. If it is a home-burn, try and make a new
copy. If it is a retail version, look at the disk for scratches, etc. If
it is an OEM version, make sure it is not BIOS-locked and designed to be
installed only on a particular OEM system such as a Dell (although
usually the installation would not get as far as yours did in this case).

2. If the installation CD is fine and the appropriate version, check the
optical drive. If you have a second drive, use it instead or swap out
the drive for a known-working one.

3. Test the RAM.

4. Test the hard drive.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot