Slow file copying/transfer

737driver

Slow file copying/transfer
I recently bought a new dual processor AMD HP computer which has Windows
Vista. I installed MS Flight Sim 2004 and tried to transfer some aircraft
files that I have backed up on an external USB connected Hard Drive. When I
drag an airplane file of lets say 15 mb I get an information window popping
up calculating the time for transfer and it keeps coming up with a
ridiculously long time of anywhere from 20 minutes to close to an hour.
This never took more than seconds on my old computer with XP. What do I
have set wrong or what am I doing wrong that these transfers should take so
much time? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhZHkyMzQ1NA==?=

RE: Slow file copying/transfer

"737driver" wrote:

> I recently bought a new dual processor AMD HP computer which has Windows
> Vista. I installed MS Flight Sim 2004 and tried to transfer some aircraft
> files that I have backed up on an external USB connected Hard Drive. When I
> drag an airplane file of lets say 15 mb I get an information window popping
> up calculating the time for transfer and it keeps coming up with a
> ridiculously long time of anywhere from 20 minutes to close to an hour.
> This never took more than seconds on my old computer with XP. What do I
> have set wrong or what am I doing wrong that these transfers should take so
> much time? Thanks

You are not the only one. 2.3G took 37 minutes from a 16x DVD internal
drive to one of the HD's. It is not the system since we are running 3.0G
dual processor, 4G RAM & two 500G WD SATA HDs, etc.

Something has to be done to correct this problem.
Frank Conte

Re: Slow file copying/transfer
There's an MS KB article floating around out there but I don't recall the
number.

I had this issue real bad too, and the last suggestion on the list solved it
for me.

Start Menu->Computer
Click the Organize button, Layout menu and turn off the "Navigation Pane"

Seems to be some bug when Navigation Pane is enabled ?

Try copying your file(s) again.

HTH

-Frank

"Shady23454" <Shady23454@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news37B8172-B395-405C-831A-ADD9F084A888@microsoft.com...

> "737driver" wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a new dual processor AMD HP computer which has Windows
>> Vista. I installed MS Flight Sim 2004 and tried to transfer some
>> aircraft
>> files that I have backed up on an external USB connected Hard Drive.
>> When I
>> drag an airplane file of lets say 15 mb I get an information window
>> popping
>> up calculating the time for transfer and it keeps coming up with a
>> ridiculously long time of anywhere from 20 minutes to close to an hour.
>> This never took more than seconds on my old computer with XP. What do I
>> have set wrong or what am I doing wrong that these transfers should take
>> so
>> much time? Thanks
>>

> You are not the only one. 2.3G took 37 minutes from a 16x DVD internal
> drive to one of the HD's. It is not the system since we are running 3.0G
> dual processor, 4G RAM & two 500G WD SATA HDs, etc.
>
> Something has to be done to correct this problem.

Puffnstuff

RE: Slow file copying/transfer
I read somewhere that if you turn off remote differential compression in the
windows features panel that it fixes the transfer problem for some people. I
tried it and nothing changed for me. I find it frustrating when I'm trying
to move large files and the transfer rate to my external firewire drive is
faster than between two internal sata2 hd's.