Re: HOW to REMOVE XP after VISTA INSTALLATION?

=?Utf-8?B?Tml0aW4=?=

Re: HOW to REMOVE XP after VISTA INSTALLATION?
Will the action below, then avoid the startup boot screen where it asks you
to choose the OS for startup?

Thks
Nitin

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If you installed Windows Vista to the same partition that Windows XP was on
> (ie, XP was on drive C, and you installed Vista to drive C), Windows XP is
> no longer there, even though it may be listed in the boot options.
>
> Your old Windows XP folders (Windows, Documents and Settings, Program Files,
> etc) are in a hidden folder called Windows.old.
>
> To see it, you may have to go to an Explorer window, click Organize, Folder
> Options, View Tab, then enable Show Hidden Files.
>
> If you no longer need any of the files in this folder, you can safely delete
> it.
>
> - JB

AJR

Re: HOW to REMOVE XP after VISTA INSTALLATION?
You can delete Windows.old - if you can - it is considered a protected
folder and you may have difficult in deleting the folder.
There is not much dialogue about this folder except on how to delete -
however this folder is used to "recreate" XP if you so desire.

There is a KB article, Microsoft Support, which describes the procedure -
unfortunately, although I copied the article to my HD, I did record the KB
number.
BTW - this folder is created also when Vista is installed to another
partition or drive.

"Nitin" <Nitin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Will the action below, then avoid the startup boot screen where it asks
> you
> to choose the OS for startup?
>
> Thks
> Nitin
>
> "Jimmy Brush" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you installed Windows Vista to the same partition that Windows XP was
>> on
>> (ie, XP was on drive C, and you installed Vista to drive C), Windows XP
>> is
>> no longer there, even though it may be listed in the boot options.
>>
>> Your old Windows XP folders (Windows, Documents and Settings, Program
>> Files,
>> etc) are in a hidden folder called Windows.old.
>>
>> To see it, you may have to go to an Explorer window, click Organize,
>> Folder
>> Options, View Tab, then enable Show Hidden Files.
>>
>> If you no longer need any of the files in this folder, you can safely
>> delete
>> it.
>>
>> - JB

koze

Re: HOW to REMOVE XP after VISTA INSTALLATION?
The fastest and best way to do so is to run disk clean select the option for
all users and away it is.
But be carefull make sure you have everything out of it you want to save at
forehand!.

Ko