Time Limit?

=?Utf-8?B?RmxhZ3JlZW4=?=

Time Limit?
I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour event
along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an expiration
date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?
Dustin Harper

Re: Time Limit?
Either 90 days or 1 year.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour event
> along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an expiration
> date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?

=?Utf-8?B?RmxhZ3JlZW4=?=

Re: Time Limit?
Thanks but surely there must be some way to tell which it is?

Also I'm wondering why it shows the activation as being permanent.

I need to know when it is going to expire if it is so that I can know when
it's time to save whatever files I need to while I can still get into this
program.

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> Either 90 days or 1 year.
>

> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour event
> > along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an expiration
> > date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?

Dustin Harper

Re: Time Limit?
The RC1 I got from MS was 1 year from install (I also got one from the
Launch Event).

It may say on the CD, or when you installed it.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
> Thanks but surely there must be some way to tell which it is?
>
> Also I'm wondering why it shows the activation as being permanent.
>
> I need to know when it is going to expire if it is so that I can know when
> it's time to save whatever files I need to while I can still get into this
> program.
>

> "Dustin Harper" wrote:
>
>> Either 90 days or 1 year.
>>

>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour
>> >event
>> > along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an
>> > expiration
>> > date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?

Larry Kuderick

Re: Time Limit?
Flagreen,

I'm not sure why it did give an expiration date, it might be forever, but it
hardly really matters because you can't get any further updates because
version 5840 apparently doesn't update. It's definately a beta build and not
final code and as beta code there is still a lot that doesn't work correctly
in that build. MS said that the build was good for 180 days, but when I
found out that the only thing that was updating was Defender I decided it
wasn't worth the risk and removed it from my system and went out and
purchased a OEM version.

Just my 2 cents.

"Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks but surely there must be some way to tell which it is?
>
> Also I'm wondering why it shows the activation as being permanent.
>
> I need to know when it is going to expire if it is so that I can know when
> it's time to save whatever files I need to while I can still get into this
> program.
>

> "Dustin Harper" wrote:
>
>> Either 90 days or 1 year.
>>

>> --
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>
>> --
>> "Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour
>> >event
>> > along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an
>> > expiration
>> > date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?

=?Utf-8?B?RmxhZ3JlZW4=?=

Re: Time Limit?
Thanks Larry.

I changed the date on my PC both in Vista and my BIOS to 3-1-2008 after
backing up my important files. It rebooted fine with no problems and it still
showed as being activated and as a genuine copy, so apparently there is no
time limit.

I have installed updates (one security update and two driver updates) other
than Defender just fine. I'm not sure why yours would not update.

I will most likely buy a retail copy anyway. Certainly if I start having
problems I will either buy the retail release or go back to XP Pro. Now that
it appears there is no timebomb I can upgrade at my convinience - not
Microsoft's.

Flagreen

"Larry Kuderick" wrote:

> Flagreen,
>
> I'm not sure why it did give an expiration date, it might be forever, but it
> hardly really matters because you can't get any further updates because
> version 5840 apparently doesn't update. It's definately a beta build and not
> final code and as beta code there is still a lot that doesn't work correctly
> in that build. MS said that the build was good for 180 days, but when I
> found out that the only thing that was updating was Defender I decided it
> wasn't worth the risk and removed it from my system and went out and
> purchased a OEM version.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> "Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks but surely there must be some way to tell which it is?
> >
> > Also I'm wondering why it shows the activation as being permanent.
> >
> > I need to know when it is going to expire if it is so that I can know when
> > it's time to save whatever files I need to while I can still get into this
> > program.
> >

> > "Dustin Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> Either 90 days or 1 year.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Dustin Harper
> >> dharper@vistarip.com
> >> http://www.vistarip.com

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Time Limit?
Start/Run
Type "winver" ENTER
Is there a date on that page?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour event
> along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an expiration
> date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?

=?Utf-8?B?RmxhZ3JlZW4=?=

Re: Time Limit?
Hi,

Thanks I ran winver and no it does not show any dates at all. It just shows
it being licensed to me.

Flagreen

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Start/Run
> Type "winver" ENTER
> Is there a date on that page?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour event
> > along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an expiration
> > date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?

=?Utf-8?B?bGt1ZGVyaWNr?=

Re: Time Limit?
Jupiter,

No date shows. From all appearances it looks like final copy except for the
build number. If you search for Launch Tour you'll see several threads that
attest to this. There doesn't seem to be an expiration date.

Flagreen,

My copy initially did a couple of updates too. However, when Jan 30th rolled
around there were many posts indicating that there were another 9 important
updates released. People with non-beta copies were seeing the updates, those
with RC1, RC2 and RTM copies were not.

Since I ordered and installed the OEM copy, I can verify that number of
updates. My work computer which still has a copy of the Launch beta still can
not see the updates. There are also other minor differences between the two
copies (icons are nicer, sounds are different, the system seems to be more
robust - to mention a few things).

I can understand not running right out since your copy apparently works
fine, but I would worry as time goes on about what
fixes/patches/vunrabilities I was leaving myself open to too.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Start/Run
> Type "winver" ENTER
> Is there a date on that page?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Flagreen" <Flagreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Ultimate build 5840 which I recieved at the launch Tour event
> > along with a product key. When I run winver it does not show an expiration
> > date on this installation. So will I be able to use this indefinitely?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Time Limit?
The updates were largely Ultimate Extras and were never expected to be
installed on RTM.

--

newsEE3E795-BA40-4C3D-A362-4C0A76ADC8F5@microsoft.com...