The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista

Adam Albright

The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
I have a Epson Photo 900. I use this to print directly on CD's and
DVD's. Just had a "web chat" with a Epson "service" guy and he tells
me it isn't fully supported in Vista because it comes with a "in-box"
driver, that of course doesn't work with Vista since the printer is a
couple years old. They do have a new driver and supposedly that's
included with the Vista DVD.

HOWEVER...

My experience is that's a crippled version and takes away some
features or makes them very clumsy to use. For example under XP there
was a control center on the task bar from which you could access all
your printer functions, like clean the nozzles, check toner level, set
preferences, text, photo printing options, adjustments, etc.. This of
course is a very common feature.

The arrogance of these companies! Now they say tough cookies, go and
do that from Control Center and several clicks down you'll find it.
Well to nobody's surprise not all work like they used to and this is a
royal pain in the butt instead of having the features right on the
task bar. Asked if they plan to upgrade this. They say no, buy a new
printer.
'm
I just about at the boiling point since "upgrading" to Vista.

My system has been DOWNGRADED in several ways. Some of the hardware
doesn't work as well, some software now acts up when it worked fine
under XP, Windows Vista itself doesn't help you, it mostly gets in
your way and is a annoyance. I am now totally disgusted. Vista isn't
worth the price of the packaging it comes in, which itself is a pain
in the ass to open.

Microsoft totally screwed up on this release and all they will succeed
at doing is pissing off a hell of a lot of customers. They have
succeeded with me in doing exactly that.

Richard Urban

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
Again, someone taking out their angst on Vista when they should be directing
it against the hardware manufacturer.

Do you complain about your Ford because your after market Firestone tires
are out of round? No, you complain to Firestone on their quality.

Do the same here.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>I have a Epson Photo 900. I use this to print directly on CD's and
> DVD's. Just had a "web chat" with a Epson "service" guy and he tells
> me it isn't fully supported in Vista because it comes with a "in-box"
> driver, that of course doesn't work with Vista since the printer is a
> couple years old. They do have a new driver and supposedly that's
> included with the Vista DVD.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> My experience is that's a crippled version and takes away some
> features or makes them very clumsy to use. For example under XP there
> was a control center on the task bar from which you could access all
> your printer functions, like clean the nozzles, check toner level, set
> preferences, text, photo printing options, adjustments, etc.. This of
> course is a very common feature.
>
> The arrogance of these companies! Now they say tough cookies, go and
> do that from Control Center and several clicks down you'll find it.
> Well to nobody's surprise not all work like they used to and this is a
> royal pain in the butt instead of having the features right on the
> task bar. Asked if they plan to upgrade this. They say no, buy a new
> printer.
> 'm
> I just about at the boiling point since "upgrading" to Vista.
>
> My system has been DOWNGRADED in several ways. Some of the hardware
> doesn't work as well, some software now acts up when it worked fine
> under XP, Windows Vista itself doesn't help you, it mostly gets in
> your way and is a annoyance. I am now totally disgusted. Vista isn't
> worth the price of the packaging it comes in, which itself is a pain
> in the ass to open.
>
> Microsoft totally screwed up on this release and all they will succeed
> at doing is pissing off a hell of a lot of customers. They have
> succeeded with me in doing exactly that.

BobS

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
Adam,

I can understand your frustration but that printer is 4 years old (it's also
discontinued) with the last driver update in 03 but software was updated on
Jan 06 and they did provide MS updates for Vista.

Do you think they should support a discontinued item? They did:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&noteoid=86150

The fact it works (but maybe differently) is a plus for Epson and to Vista
but yet you're finding fault with them both because it's not like it was in
XP?.

Most likely there were some security issues in the way the manager software
worked and Vista handles it differently. Not the same but I have a Canon
i9900 and they released an add-on which effects the management of the
printer much the same as you describe. I don't use mine as much as you
probably do so the changes are a minor thing to me but certainly useable.

Think you need a break from the 'puter for a day or two.....;-)

Bob S.

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>I have a Epson Photo 900. I use this to print directly on CD's and
> DVD's. Just had a "web chat" with a Epson "service" guy and he tells
> me it isn't fully supported in Vista because it comes with a "in-box"
> driver, that of course doesn't work with Vista since the printer is a
> couple years old. They do have a new driver and supposedly that's
> included with the Vista DVD.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> My experience is that's a crippled version and takes away some
> features or makes them very clumsy to use. For example under XP there
> was a control center on the task bar from which you could access all
> your printer functions, like clean the nozzles, check toner level, set
> preferences, text, photo printing options, adjustments, etc.. This of
> course is a very common feature.
>
> The arrogance of these companies! Now they say tough cookies, go and
> do that from Control Center and several clicks down you'll find it.
> Well to nobody's surprise not all work like they used to and this is a
> royal pain in the butt instead of having the features right on the
> task bar. Asked if they plan to upgrade this. They say no, buy a new
> printer.
> 'm
> I just about at the boiling point since "upgrading" to Vista.
>
> My system has been DOWNGRADED in several ways. Some of the hardware
> doesn't work as well, some software now acts up when it worked fine
> under XP, Windows Vista itself doesn't help you, it mostly gets in
> your way and is a annoyance. I am now totally disgusted. Vista isn't
> worth the price of the packaging it comes in, which itself is a pain
> in the ass to open.
>
> Microsoft totally screwed up on this release and all they will succeed
> at doing is pissing off a hell of a lot of customers. They have
> succeeded with me in doing exactly that.

John Barnes

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
I have a similar problem with my Brother MFC. In addition, it doesn't show
the ink out popup that it had is all previous versions so no warning. No
control center here either. I don't know whether this is limited to Vista64
or both, but it is a pain to say the least.

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>I have a Epson Photo 900. I use this to print directly on CD's and
> DVD's. Just had a "web chat" with a Epson "service" guy and he tells
> me it isn't fully supported in Vista because it comes with a "in-box"
> driver, that of course doesn't work with Vista since the printer is a
> couple years old. They do have a new driver and supposedly that's
> included with the Vista DVD.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> My experience is that's a crippled version and takes away some
> features or makes them very clumsy to use. For example under XP there
> was a control center on the task bar from which you could access all
> your printer functions, like clean the nozzles, check toner level, set
> preferences, text, photo printing options, adjustments, etc.. This of
> course is a very common feature.
>
> The arrogance of these companies! Now they say tough cookies, go and
> do that from Control Center and several clicks down you'll find it.
> Well to nobody's surprise not all work like they used to and this is a
> royal pain in the butt instead of having the features right on the
> task bar. Asked if they plan to upgrade this. They say no, buy a new
> printer.
> 'm
> I just about at the boiling point since "upgrading" to Vista.
>
> My system has been DOWNGRADED in several ways. Some of the hardware
> doesn't work as well, some software now acts up when it worked fine
> under XP, Windows Vista itself doesn't help you, it mostly gets in
> your way and is a annoyance. I am now totally disgusted. Vista isn't
> worth the price of the packaging it comes in, which itself is a pain
> in the ass to open.
>
> Microsoft totally screwed up on this release and all they will succeed
> at doing is pissing off a hell of a lot of customers. They have
> succeeded with me in doing exactly that.

Adam Albright

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:15:25 -0500, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Again, someone taking out their angst on Vista when they should be directing
>it against the hardware manufacturer.

Another Microsoft butt kisser heard from.

Let me help in your further education in the real world which seems to
be lacking. Hardware vendors need to conform to faily rigid specs and
follow specific guidlines that Microsoft places on the OS or NONE of
their drivers would work right. I guess you didn't know that.

What we're seeing is what we always see everytime there is a new
Microsoft OS. Endless finger pointing where the clods at Microsoft
point their fingers at hardware vendors and the hardware vendors point
their fingers at Microsoft. The bottom line is there is pleny of blame
to go around.

This is one area where the Mac guys are absolutely correct. Most Mac
hardware DOES WORK out of the box because they control the process.
Microsoft keeps moving the goal posts ie changing what needs to be
done which I'm sure drives hardware vendors crazy.

For your information I also let my feeling be known to Epson and other
vendors that have caused me endless headaches this past week.

Richard Urban

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
Good. I'm glad you also complained to the people who are responsible for
your hardware. If enough people do so, maybe they (the hardware
manufacturers) will do something about it.

If their mentality is to use the current situation to sell more printers,
then you have to live with that also.

--

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:15:25 -0500, "Richard Urban"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Again, someone taking out their angst on Vista when they should be
>>directing
>>it against the hardware manufacturer.

> Another Microsoft butt kisser heard from.
>
> Let me help in your further education in the real world which seems to
> be lacking. Hardware vendors need to conform to faily rigid specs and
> follow specific guidlines that Microsoft places on the OS or NONE of
> their drivers would work right. I guess you didn't know that.
>
> What we're seeing is what we always see everytime there is a new
> Microsoft OS. Endless finger pointing where the clods at Microsoft
> point their fingers at hardware vendors and the hardware vendors point
> their fingers at Microsoft. The bottom line is there is pleny of blame
> to go around.
>
> This is one area where the Mac guys are absolutely correct. Most Mac
> hardware DOES WORK out of the box because they control the process.
> Microsoft keeps moving the goal posts ie changing what needs to be
> done which I'm sure drives hardware vendors crazy.
>
> For your information I also let my feeling be known to Epson and other
> vendors that have caused me endless headaches this past week.

Adam Albright

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:05 -0500, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Good. I'm glad you also complained to the people who are responsible for
>your hardware. If enough people do so, maybe they (the hardware
>manufacturers) will do something about it.
>
>If their mentality is to use the current situation to sell more printers,
>then you have to live with that also.

I'm curious what so many MVP's feel obligated to blindly defend poor
Microsoft design decisons. Care to share?

As far as selling more printers all Epson has accomplished for me is
to be sure my next printer will NOT be a Epson brand. For those that
aren't aware they were the subject of a class action law suit where
they were accused of deliberately misleading users to replace their
ink cartridges with a message indicating you needed to do so popping
up in the printer control center before the ink was anywhere near as
"empty" as the indicator said was the case. The settlement involved
giving all purchaser's replacement refills. I'm still waiting.

Richard Urban

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
Hey fella.

I have a 4 year old HP Deskjet 970cxi. I have basic functionality (which is
more than I expected). I am glad I have that as I was prepared to purchase a
new printer to use with Vista.

It is Hp, H/P, Hewlett Packard who is at fault here. It is not Microsoft. HP
had 5 ******* years to do drivers that are good for Vista. It is up to HP to
supply drivers to Microsoft for inclusion with a new operating system. It is
up to HP to make their customer happy. I am NOT happy. But it is ***NOT***
Microsoft's problem. It is between me and HP.

I bought a new printer when Win98 came out. I bought a new printer when
Windows 2000 came out. After Windows XP came out it was 6-8 months before HP
got off their collective asses and released drivers for that operating
system.

Now, place your vender above wherever you see HP.

And, place the blame where it belongs.

No one forced you to buy Vista. You wanted Vista, the same as I did.

--

news2f1t2h2pssjegvovdb58kofsh9uv2nova@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:05 -0500, "Richard Urban"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Good. I'm glad you also complained to the people who are responsible for
>>your hardware. If enough people do so, maybe they (the hardware
>>manufacturers) will do something about it.
>>
>>If their mentality is to use the current situation to sell more printers,
>>then you have to live with that also.

> I'm curious what so many MVP's feel obligated to blindly defend poor
> Microsoft design decisons. Care to share?
>
> As far as selling more printers all Epson has accomplished for me is
> to be sure my next printer will NOT be a Epson brand. For those that
> aren't aware they were the subject of a class action law suit where
> they were accused of deliberately misleading users to replace their
> ink cartridges with a message indicating you needed to do so popping
> up in the printer control center before the ink was anywhere near as
> "empty" as the indicator said was the case. The settlement involved
> giving all purchaser's replacement refills. I'm still waiting.

John Barnes

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
And after 1 1/2 years still few drivers for XP X64 :-)

> Hey fella.
>
> I have a 4 year old HP Deskjet 970cxi. I have basic functionality (which
> is more than I expected). I am glad I have that as I was prepared to
> purchase a new printer to use with Vista.
>
> It is Hp, H/P, Hewlett Packard who is at fault here. It is not Microsoft.
> HP had 5 ******* years to do drivers that are good for Vista. It is up to
> HP to supply drivers to Microsoft for inclusion with a new operating
> system. It is up to HP to make their customer happy. I am NOT happy. But
> it is ***NOT*** Microsoft's problem. It is between me and HP.
>
> I bought a new printer when Win98 came out. I bought a new printer when
> Windows 2000 came out. After Windows XP came out it was 6-8 months before
> HP got off their collective asses and released drivers for that operating
> system.
>

> Now, place your vender above wherever you see HP.
>
> And, place the blame where it belongs.
>
> No one forced you to buy Vista. You wanted Vista, the same as I did.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> news2f1t2h2pssjegvovdb58kofsh9uv2nova@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:26:05 -0500, "Richard Urban"
>> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Good. I'm glad you also complained to the people who are responsible for
>>>your hardware. If enough people do so, maybe they (the hardware
>>>manufacturers) will do something about it.
>>>
>>>If their mentality is to use the current situation to sell more printers,
>>>then you have to live with that also.

>> I'm curious what so many MVP's feel obligated to blindly defend poor
>> Microsoft design decisons. Care to share?
>>
>> As far as selling more printers all Epson has accomplished for me is
>> to be sure my next printer will NOT be a Epson brand. For those that
>> aren't aware they were the subject of a class action law suit where
>> they were accused of deliberately misleading users to replace their
>> ink cartridges with a message indicating you needed to do so popping
>> up in the printer control center before the ink was anywhere near as
>> "empty" as the indicator said was the case. The settlement involved
>> giving all purchaser's replacement refills. I'm still waiting.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: The stupidity continues. Now a very popular printer doesn't work right under Vista
Richard;
I have you beat.
My 5 year old HP 842c works well with Vista native drivers.
As for additional functionality, I never use so I do not know what if
anything I am missing.

I was fully expecting and prepared for the printer to not work, but it did.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar