XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZWxzb2xpZA==?=

XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
This was the biggest waste of $219 I've ever spent. I ran Windows Vista
Advisor and everything checked out except a cannot determine from Intel (R)
System Management BIOS driver. Well, after the Vista Business Upgrade runs
flawlessly, the system reboots. That's when the problem starts. I get a blue
screen with a physical memory dump, then system halts. So, I have to revert
back to Windows XP Pro. I think Microsoft jumped the gun on this product and
needs to offer an XP pack that will fix some of these problems to upgrade to
Vista. Anyone else have this blue screen problem?
Rock

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
"steelsolid" <steelsolid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> This was the biggest waste of $219 I've ever spent. I ran Windows Vista
> Advisor and everything checked out except a cannot determine from Intel
> (R)
> System Management BIOS driver. Well, after the Vista Business Upgrade runs
> flawlessly, the system reboots. That's when the problem starts. I get a
> blue
> screen with a physical memory dump, then system halts. So, I have to
> revert
> back to Windows XP Pro. I think Microsoft jumped the gun on this product
> and
> needs to offer an XP pack that will fix some of these problems to upgrade
> Vista. Anyone else have this blue screen problem?

What was the error code? What is the computer, motherboard and chipset,
it's configuration, number of drives, SATA or PATA, how are they
partitioned, where is XP installed, where did you intend to install Vista?
What video card and drivers? Did you uninstall all AV programs, firewalls,
system level utilities like defraggers, CD/DVD burning software, virtual
drive software, Sonic DLA, and any other software that uses drivers? Did
you disconnect all peripheral devices and take out all PCI cards except for
the monitor, video card, mouse, keyboard and DVD drive?

I suggest, if you didn't already, that you image the XP installation to an
external USB drive or CD/DVD or to another networked drive using something
like Acronis True Image Home version 10 before trying the upgrade.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
You run the Upgrade Advisor with everything attached, and you run the
upgrade with just screen, keyboard and mouse attached.. did you do that?

"steelsolid" <steelsolid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This was the biggest waste of $219 I've ever spent. I ran Windows Vista
> Advisor and everything checked out except a cannot determine from Intel
> (R)
> System Management BIOS driver. Well, after the Vista Business Upgrade runs
> flawlessly, the system reboots. That's when the problem starts. I get a
> blue
> screen with a physical memory dump, then system halts. So, I have to
> revert
> back to Windows XP Pro. I think Microsoft jumped the gun on this product
> and
> needs to offer an XP pack that will fix some of these problems to upgrade
> Vista. Anyone else have this blue screen problem?

Carl G

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
How come you say that now?When in the Bata Installs If I remember it was
advised to leave everything connected so Vista could find drivers for it.
Guess I am lucky then. I left everything connected and Vista found drivers
for everything except my Visioneer one touch scanner.Which I still haven't
goten to work. No Drivers available yet at Visioneer.

--
Carl G

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You run the Upgrade Advisor with everything attached, and you run the
> upgrade with just screen, keyboard and mouse attached.. did you do that?
>

> "steelsolid" <steelsolid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This was the biggest waste of $219 I've ever spent. I ran Windows Vista
>> Advisor and everything checked out except a cannot determine from Intel
>> (R)
>> System Management BIOS driver. Well, after the Vista Business Upgrade
>> runs
>> flawlessly, the system reboots. That's when the problem starts. I get a
>> blue
>> screen with a physical memory dump, then system halts. So, I have to
>> revert
>> back to Windows XP Pro. I think Microsoft jumped the gun on this product
>> and
>> needs to offer an XP pack that will fix some of these problems to upgrade
>> Vista. Anyone else have this blue screen problem?

Bob Eyster

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
What is this Sonic DLA?

I have Easy Media Center 9 (EMC9) From Roxio which they say is compatible
with Vista. I get this message some times that a driver has been blocked.
They give the name of Sonic DLA. Does this have something to do with
"Drag-to-Disc"?

Bob Eyster

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "steelsolid" <steelsolid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>> This was the biggest waste of $219 I've ever spent. I ran Windows Vista
>> Advisor and everything checked out except a cannot determine from Intel
>> (R)
>> System Management BIOS driver. Well, after the Vista Business Upgrade
>> runs
>> flawlessly, the system reboots. That's when the problem starts. I get a
>> blue
>> screen with a physical memory dump, then system halts. So, I have to
>> revert
>> back to Windows XP Pro. I think Microsoft jumped the gun on this product
>> and
>> needs to offer an XP pack that will fix some of these problems to upgrade
>> Vista. Anyone else have this blue screen problem?

> What was the error code? What is the computer, motherboard and chipset,
> it's configuration, number of drives, SATA or PATA, how are they
> partitioned, where is XP installed, where did you intend to install Vista?
> What video card and drivers? Did you uninstall all AV programs,
> firewalls, system level utilities like defraggers, CD/DVD burning
> software, virtual drive software, Sonic DLA, and any other software that
> uses drivers? Did you disconnect all peripheral devices and take out all
> PCI cards except for the monitor, video card, mouse, keyboard and DVD
> drive?
>
> I suggest, if you didn't already, that you image the XP installation to an
> external USB drive or CD/DVD or to another networked drive using something
> like Acronis True Image Home version 10 before trying the upgrade.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Bob Eyster

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
I did the same thing and every thing seems to be working. I do have problems
with hardware that are connected to a Firewire (1394) device.

Bob Eyster

"Carl G" <cgerving@msnDOTcom> wrote in message
> How come you say that now?When in the Bata Installs If I remember it was
> advised to leave everything connected so Vista could find drivers for it.
> Guess I am lucky then. I left everything connected and Vista found drivers
> for everything except my Visioneer one touch scanner.Which I still
> haven't goten to work. No Drivers available yet at Visioneer.
>
> --
> Carl G
>
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:e8nlwOqTHHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> You run the Upgrade Advisor with everything attached, and you run the
>> upgrade with just screen, keyboard and mouse attached.. did you do that?
>>

>> "steelsolid" <steelsolid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> This was the biggest waste of $219 I've ever spent. I ran Windows Vista
>>> Advisor and everything checked out except a cannot determine from Intel
>>> (R)
>>> System Management BIOS driver. Well, after the Vista Business Upgrade
>>> runs
>>> flawlessly, the system reboots. That's when the problem starts. I get a
>>> blue
>>> screen with a physical memory dump, then system halts. So, I have to
>>> revert
>>> back to Windows XP Pro. I think Microsoft jumped the gun on this product
>>> and
>>> needs to offer an XP pack that will fix some of these problems to
>>> upgrade to
>>> Vista. Anyone else have this blue screen problem?

Kerry Brown

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
Yes, uninstall Drag-to-Disk.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Bob Eyster" <reyster1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What is this Sonic DLA?
>
> I have Easy Media Center 9 (EMC9) From Roxio which they say is compatible
> with Vista. I get this message some times that a driver has been blocked.
> They give the name of Sonic DLA. Does this have something to do with
> "Drag-to-Disc"?
>

> Bob Eyster
>

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "steelsolid" <steelsolid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>>> This was the biggest waste of $219 I've ever spent. I ran Windows Vista
>>> Advisor and everything checked out except a cannot determine from Intel
>>> (R)
>>> System Management BIOS driver. Well, after the Vista Business Upgrade
>>> runs
>>> flawlessly, the system reboots. That's when the problem starts. I get a
>>> blue
>>> screen with a physical memory dump, then system halts. So, I have to
>>> revert
>>> back to Windows XP Pro. I think Microsoft jumped the gun on this product
>>> and
>>> needs to offer an XP pack that will fix some of these problems to
>>> upgrade to
>>> Vista. Anyone else have this blue screen problem?

>> What was the error code? What is the computer, motherboard and chipset,
>> it's configuration, number of drives, SATA or PATA, how are they
>> partitioned, where is XP installed, where did you intend to install
>> Vista? What video card and drivers? Did you uninstall all AV programs,
>> firewalls, system level utilities like defraggers, CD/DVD burning
>> software, virtual drive software, Sonic DLA, and any other software that
>> uses drivers? Did you disconnect all peripheral devices and take out all
>> PCI cards except for the monitor, video card, mouse, keyboard and DVD
>> drive?
>>
>> I suggest, if you didn't already, that you image the XP installation to
>> an external USB drive or CD/DVD or to another networked drive using
>> something like Acronis True Image Home version 10 before trying the
>> upgrade.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
"Bob Eyster" <reyster1@comcast.net> wrote

> What is this Sonic DLA?
>
> I have Easy Media Center 9 (EMC9) From Roxio which they say is compatible
> with Vista. I get this message some times that a driver has been blocked.
> They give the name of Sonic DLA. Does this have something to do with
> "Drag-to-Disc"?

<snip>

Sonic bought out Roxio, so both their products come in the Roxio suite.
Sonic DLA and Roxio's Drag-to-Disc perform the same function, packet writing
software that allows you to write to CD/DVD-RW disks like they were a big
floppy. I don't know how they merged the two for EMC 9. Personally I would
have uninstalled EMC 9 before the update just because it has so many hooks
into the system (drivers). I would prefer to install something like that
after Vista is installed.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZWxzb2xpZA==?=

Re: XP Pro to Vista Business is a no-go
I have:
Windows XP Pro, GeForce FX 5600, 3 GB of ram, Intel Pentium 4 2.6 ghz, C:
(internal), D: external, using nVidia drivers.

I uninstalled AV and all conflicting programs and pulled out all cards in
the computer except the video card. It said it had programs incompatibility
issues with Sun Java Scheduler (trying to find how to remove it) and nvidia
diplay drivers.

The main problem is that the blue screen don't stay on long enough to even
read it.