Thinking of upgrade from XP Pro x64 to Vista Home Premium.

Darkelldar

Thinking of upgrade from XP Pro x64 to Vista Home Premium.
I have been reading up on upgrading to Vista but have a few concerns.

#1 NO I wont buy a Mac. Troll somewhere else !

#2 Due to running 64 bit windows the upgrade advisor leaves me out in the
cold so I will need to see what works. (not happy about that it should
support 64 bit)

My hardware AMD X2 4200 on a Asus M32N SLI Deluxe MB, 2 Gigs 6400 DDR 2, ATI
X1900 XTX 512mb, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtrememusic, 2 Maxtor SATA 120 gig
Drives in raid 0, 250 gig Lacie Xt. USB drive, LG DVD burner, Logitech G15
Gaming KB, Logitech Gaming mouse.

The drivers for most of the hardware are still in beta (no drivers for my HP
all in one) has anyone had any major problems with any of the listed
hardware ? I have read some posts about SATA problems.

I will want to go with 32 bit Home Premium upgrade and order the 64 bit copy
and use it when it gets better supported.

My other option is to stay with XP for a few months until things smooth out
with Vista.

Any Help woukd be appreciated
Thanks.

Rock

Re: Thinking of upgrade from XP Pro x64 to Vista Home Premium.
"Darkelldar" <atcompsys@shaw.ca> wrote

>I have been reading up on upgrading to Vista but have a few concerns.
>
> #1 NO I wont buy a Mac. Troll somewhere else !
>
> #2 Due to running 64 bit windows the upgrade advisor leaves me out in the
> cold so I will need to see what works. (not happy about that it should
> support 64 bit)
>
> My hardware AMD X2 4200 on a Asus M32N SLI Deluxe MB, 2 Gigs 6400 DDR 2,
> ATI X1900 XTX 512mb, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtrememusic, 2 Maxtor SATA 120 gig
> Drives in raid 0, 250 gig Lacie Xt. USB drive, LG DVD burner, Logitech G15
> Gaming KB, Logitech Gaming mouse.
>
> The drivers for most of the hardware are still in beta (no drivers for my
> HP all in one) has anyone had any major problems with any of the listed
> hardware ? I have read some posts about SATA problems.
>
> I will want to go with 32 bit Home Premium upgrade and order the 64 bit
> copy and use it when it gets better supported.
>
> My other option is to stay with XP for a few months until things smooth
> out with Vista.

Just FYI, to go from x86 Vista to x64, it an only be a custom install. The
in place upgrade is not available. Boot the x64 DVD, it will check for that
the qualifying OS (in this case x86 Vista) is installed, then it will allow
the custom install. The old installation will be wrapped up into the
windows.old folder where you could recover some data if needed or just
delete it. Neither data or apps will be migrated.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

joseph2k

Darkelldar wrote:

> I have been reading up on upgrading to Vista but have a few concerns.
>
> #1 NO I wont buy a Mac. Troll somewhere else !
>
> #2 Due to running 64 bit windows the upgrade advisor leaves me out in the
> cold so I will need to see what works. (not happy about that it should
> support 64 bit)
>
> My hardware AMD X2 4200 on a Asus M32N SLI Deluxe MB, 2 Gigs 6400 DDR 2,
> ATI X1900 XTX 512mb, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtrememusic, 2 Maxtor SATA 120 gig
> Drives in raid 0, 250 gig Lacie Xt. USB drive, LG DVD burner, Logitech G15
> Gaming KB, Logitech Gaming mouse.
>
> The drivers for most of the hardware are still in beta (no drivers for my
> HP all in one) has anyone had any major problems with any of the listed
> hardware ? I have read some posts about SATA problems.
>
> I will want to go with 32 bit Home Premium upgrade and order the 64 bit
> copy and use it when it gets better supported.
>
> My other option is to stay with XP for a few months until things smooth
> out with Vista.
>
> Any Help woukd be appreciated
> Thanks.

With that machine i seriously recommend staying with XP until Vista SP1
comes out.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.┬*┬*
BSchnur

Re: Thinking of upgrade from XP Pro x64 to Vista Home Premium.

He's going from XP X64 to Vista Home Premium 64 -- still a custom
install since NO Vista 64 install is an in-place. (Which is ok by me,
in-place installs make me nervous).

--
Barry Schnur
joseph2k

BSchnur wrote:

> He's going from XP X64 to Vista Home Premium 64 -- still a custom
> install since NO Vista 64 install is an in-place. (Which is ok by me,
> in-place installs make me nervous).

If you had proper backup and restore capacity it could not make you
"nervous". A simple restore would put things right. Of course, this is
not quite as trivial as it sounds.