XP Power Toys & Vista

CaptainToy

XP Power Toys & Vista

I am getting ready to run Vista Business upgrade on existing XP SP2 Prof
machine that has the following 6 XP Power toys installed on it.

MS Vista Upgrade advisor says about all 6, "This program might have minor
compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista." Upgrade advisor
does not tell me I need to uninstall them before running the upgrade?

Power Toys 1 through 3 are the only ones I use frequently and will miss if I
must uninstall all 6 before running Vista Upgrade. It is possible that
Vista includes the capabilites these 3 tools provide? Expecially the auto
logon to windows in TweakUI.

Does anyone know if XP Power Toys 1, 2, & 3 below function in Vista?
1 TweakUI
2 Image resizer
3 Command Here
4 Slide Show Generator
5 HTML slide show wizard
6 Alt Tab task switcher

DJB

Dustin Harper

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista
Command Here works.
Can't get image resizer to work.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"CaptainToy" <captain_toy@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message

> I am getting ready to run Vista Business upgrade on existing XP SP2 Prof
> machine that has the following 6 XP Power toys installed on it.
>
> MS Vista Upgrade advisor says about all 6, "This program might have minor
> compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista." Upgrade advisor
> does not tell me I need to uninstall them before running the upgrade?
>
> Power Toys 1 through 3 are the only ones I use frequently and will miss if
> must uninstall all 6 before running Vista Upgrade. It is possible that
> Vista includes the capabilites these 3 tools provide? Expecially the
> auto
> logon to windows in TweakUI.
>
> Does anyone know if XP Power Toys 1, 2, & 3 below function in Vista?
> 1 TweakUI
> 2 Image resizer
> 3 Command Here
> 4 Slide Show Generator
> 5 HTML slide show wizard
> 6 Alt Tab task switcher
>
> DJB

Rock

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista
"CaptainToy" <captain_toy@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote

> I am getting ready to run Vista Business upgrade on existing XP SP2 Prof
> machine that has the following 6 XP Power toys installed on it.
>
> MS Vista Upgrade advisor says about all 6, "This program might have minor
> compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista." Upgrade advisor
> does not tell me I need to uninstall them before running the upgrade?
>
> Power Toys 1 through 3 are the only ones I use frequently and will miss if
> must uninstall all 6 before running Vista Upgrade. It is possible that
> Vista includes the capabilites these 3 tools provide? Expecially the
> auto
> logon to windows in TweakUI.
>
> Does anyone know if XP Power Toys 1, 2, & 3 below function in Vista?
> 1 TweakUI
> 2 Image resizer
> 3 Command Here
> 4 Slide Show Generator
> 5 HTML slide show wizard
> 6 Alt Tab task switcher

TweakUI will not work and you'll have a hard time uninstalling it in Vista.
Remove anything the upgrade advisor says could be a problem in Vista. Also
remove any AV programs, 3rd party firewalls, system level utilities, CD/DVVD
burning programs such as Roxio and Nero, and any other software that uses
drivers.

Setting up an autologin is simple to do in XP even without TweakUI, and the
process is the same in Vista.
From a command prompt type control userpasswords2, uncheck the box that
Users must enter a username and password, then click apply or ok, and it
prompts for the account name and it's password that you want to auto login
to.

Before doing the upgrade I recommend you image the system using something
Acronis True Image Home v. 10 (which works in Vista too), saving the image
to external media such as a USB drive. That way if something goes wrong
during the upgrade you can restore the XP image.

Don't just rely on the Upgrade Advisor - it's only that, advice, not a
guarantee. Research all the hardware to make sure Vista compatible drivers
are available. Same with the software, check on the vendor websites for
compatibility.

Disconnect all peripheral devices, leaving only the keyboard, monitor, mouse
and DVD drive. After the upgrade add hardware devices one at a time.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

MICHAEL

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista
An excellent little image resizer. It's free, too.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/...ge_resizer.php

The VSO free image resize software organizes your photos by shrinking their resolution or
moving them within your hard drive. VSO Image resizer is the perfect tool for those who store
their digital pictures and images on their PC and who want to resize, compress, convert, create
copies, create thumbnails, import or organize photos.
With this free resize image software, you can create e-mail friendly versions of your images,
load them faster, move them easily from folder to folder, change their format, edit large
numbers of image files/batch image resize and thus save space on your hard drive. Using high
resolution 1600x1200 for creating wallpaper or file-sharing you can save your memory. VSO Image
Resizer can also change file names using a template and you can add your own watermark with
transparency support.
VSO Image resizer is integrated into the Windows explorer shell, right click on your pictures
and start working on your pictures !

-Michael

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Command Here works.
> Can't get image resizer to work.
>

> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "CaptainToy" <captain_toy@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message
>>
>> I am getting ready to run Vista Business upgrade on existing XP SP2 Prof
>> machine that has the following 6 XP Power toys installed on it.
>>
>> MS Vista Upgrade advisor says about all 6, "This program might have minor
>> compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista." Upgrade advisor
>> does not tell me I need to uninstall them before running the upgrade?
>>
>> Power Toys 1 through 3 are the only ones I use frequently and will miss if I
>> must uninstall all 6 before running Vista Upgrade. It is possible that
>> Vista includes the capabilites these 3 tools provide? Expecially the auto
>> logon to windows in TweakUI.
>>
>> Does anyone know if XP Power Toys 1, 2, & 3 below function in Vista?
>> 1 TweakUI
>> 2 Image resizer
>> 3 Command Here
>> 4 Slide Show Generator
>> 5 HTML slide show wizard
>> 6 Alt Tab task switcher
>>
>> DJB

Cheesus

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:29:23 -0600, "CaptainToy"
<captain_toy@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote:

>3 Command Here

This is built into Vista but in order to access it you have to
hold the Shift button down when right-clicking the folder.
Lloyd Sheen

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista
Does that work for anyone else. I have Ultimate and it does not seem to
work. I used that all the time in XP.

LS
"Cheesus" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news19vs2hhrfofqqlttaufdt2nbo7r0kjq8m@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:29:23 -0600, "CaptainToy"
> <captain_toy@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote:
>
>>3 Command Here

> This is built into Vista but in order to access it you have to
> hold the Shift button down when right-clicking the folder.

Beck

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Command Here works.
> Can't get image resizer to work.

Shame about the image resizer, I used to find it really handy. I am really
surprised they did not add that to right click menu on Vista. Especially as
photo gallery does not even have a proper resizer either.

DJB

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista
To: Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
Thanks for the helpful reply. You mention uninstalling Roxio software
before trying to run a Vista Upgrade. I have latest version of Roxio, Easy
Media creator Ver. 9. Does your suggestion apply to this also?
DJB

TweakUI will not work and you'll have a hard time uninstalling it in Vista.
Remove anything the upgrade advisor says could be a problem in Vista. Also
remove any AV programs, 3rd party firewalls, system level utilities, CD/DVVD
burning programs such as Roxio and Nero, and any other software that uses
drivers.

Setting up an autologin is simple to do in XP even without TweakUI, and the
process is the same in Vista.
From a command prompt type control userpasswords2, uncheck the box that

"DJB" <dbrohm@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote

> To: Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
> Thanks for the helpful reply. You mention uninstalling Roxio software
> before trying to run a Vista Upgrade. I have latest version of Roxio,
> Easy
> Media creator Ver. 9. Does your suggestion apply to this also?

EMC9 is supposed to be compatible with Vista, but it has components that use
drivers. I don't have personal experience doing an upgrade with EMC9
installed. If it were me, I would uninstall it for the upgrade and
reinstall afterwards. If you image the system before doing the upgrade, you
could try it with EMC 9 installed. If it doesn't work out restore the
image, remove EMC and try again.

That said my real preference is to do a custom (clean) install, then
reinstalling all the apps from original media. You can use WET (Windows
Easy Transfer) on the XP installation to save data and settings, then use
WET in Vista to bring them back in.

> TweakUI will not work and you'll have a hard time uninstalling it in
> Vista.
> Remove anything the upgrade advisor says could be a problem in Vista.
> Also
> remove any AV programs, 3rd party firewalls, system level utilities,
> CD/DVVD
> burning programs such as Roxio and Nero, and any other software that uses
> drivers.
>
> Setting up an autologin is simple to do in XP even without TweakUI, and
> the
> process is the same in Vista.
> From a command prompt type control userpasswords2, uncheck the box that
> Users must enter a username and password, then click apply or ok, and it
> prompts for the account name and it's password that you want to auto login
> to.
>
> Before doing the upgrade I recommend you image the system using something
> Acronis True Image Home v. 10 (which works in Vista too), saving the image
> to external media such as a USB drive. That way if something goes wrong
> during the upgrade you can restore the XP image.
>
> Don't just rely on the Upgrade Advisor - it's only that, advice, not a
> guarantee. Research all the hardware to make sure Vista compatible
> drivers
> are available. Same with the software, check on the vendor websites for
> compatibility.
>
> Disconnect all peripheral devices, leaving only the keyboard, monitor,
> mouse
> and DVD drive. After the upgrade add hardware devices one at a time.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

DJB

Re: XP Power Toys & Vista
Thanks, I'll Ghost an image to another partition before running the upgrade.