Where is the SMTP?....

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=

Where is the SMTP?....
OS: Vista Ultimate RC1

Where is the SMTP feature? I don't see this in the list of features to turn
on. I see the FTP, SNMP, MSMQ, but no SMTP.

Do I have to install this from MS site. I already have IIS installed. Is
it included with the install of IIS and if so where is it?

--
Eric Miller
Ted Landry

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
Eric <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> OS: Vista Ultimate RC1
>
> Where is the SMTP feature? I don't see this in the list of features to turn
> on. I see the FTP, SNMP, MSMQ, but no SMTP.
>
> Do I have to install this from MS site. I already have IIS installed. Is
> it included with the install of IIS and if so where is it?

it's in your Mail program, it's not a network setting persay.
=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
Don't quite understand, do you mean something like "Windows Live Mall" and
SMTP is no longer available for the Vista?
--
Eric Miller

"Ted Landry" wrote:

> Eric <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > OS: Vista Ultimate RC1
> >
> > Where is the SMTP feature? I don't see this in the list of features to turn
> > on. I see the FTP, SNMP, MSMQ, but no SMTP.
> >
> > Do I have to install this from MS site. I already have IIS installed. Is
> > it included with the install of IIS and if so where is it?

> it's in your Mail program, it's not a network setting persay.

AJR

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) is provided by your ISPs outgoing mail
server.

You do not "install" it - you indicate to your e-mail program (Outlook
Express) which server to use for example "smtp.earthlink.net".

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OS: Vista Ultimate RC1
>
> Where is the SMTP feature? I don't see this in the list of features to
> turn
> on. I see the FTP, SNMP, MSMQ, but no SMTP.
>
> Do I have to install this from MS site. I already have IIS installed. Is
> it included with the install of IIS and if so where is it?
>
> --
> Eric Miller

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
I must have asked the question wrong. What I want do is, run my own mail
server the same I did using Win2K Pro, which had the SMTP Server feature. I
know about using a mail client to down load email msg's from my ISP.

So you mean to tell me that Vista only uses software mail clients as far as
email is concern? I hope my question is more clear and thanks for the
Eric Miller

"AJR" wrote:

> SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) is provided by your ISPs outgoing mail
> server.
>
> You do not "install" it - you indicate to your e-mail program (Outlook
> Express) which server to use for example "smtp.earthlink.net".
>
> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OS: Vista Ultimate RC1
> >
> > Where is the SMTP feature? I don't see this in the list of features to
> > turn
> > on. I see the FTP, SNMP, MSMQ, but no SMTP.
> >
> > Do I have to install this from MS site. I already have IIS installed. Is
> > it included with the install of IIS and if so where is it?
> >
> > --
> > Eric Miller

Kerry Brown

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
SMTP is not included with the version of IIS7 in Vista. I agree it was a
nice feature and have no idea why it was taken out.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OS: Vista Ultimate RC1
>
> Where is the SMTP feature? I don't see this in the list of features to
> turn
> on. I see the FTP, SNMP, MSMQ, but no SMTP.
>
> Do I have to install this from MS site. I already have IIS installed. Is
> it included with the install of IIS and if so where is it?
>
> --
> Eric Miller

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
Thanks Kerry! What is the alternant solution as far as how I want to setup a
mail server. It will be used for my intranet as well as for the internet.
Funds are not aviable right now to purchase a Windows Server. I like Vista!
Is SMTP avaible for download for the Vista?

--
Eric Miller

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> SMTP is not included with the version of IIS7 in Vista. I agree it was a
> nice feature and have no idea why it was taken out.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OS: Vista Ultimate RC1
> >
> > Where is the SMTP feature? I don't see this in the list of features to
> > turn
> > on. I see the FTP, SNMP, MSMQ, but no SMTP.
> >
> > Do I have to install this from MS site. I already have IIS installed. Is
> > it included with the install of IIS and if so where is it?
> >
> > --
> > Eric Miller

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
Hello Eric,
Windows Vista does not have SMTP server functionality.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?= <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: Re: Where is the SMTP?....
|>Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:27:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I must have asked the question wrong. What I want do is, run my own mail
|>server the same I did using Win2K Pro, which had the SMTP Server feature.
|>know about using a mail client to down load email msg's from my ISP.
|>
|>So you mean to tell me that Vista only uses software mail clients as far
as
|>email is concern? I hope my question is more clear and thanks for the
|>--
|>Eric Miller
|>

|>"AJR" wrote:
|>
|>> SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) is provided by your ISPs outgoing
mail
|>> server.
|>>
|>> You do not "install" it - you indicate to your e-mail program (Outlook
|>> Express) which server to use for example "smtp.earthlink.net".

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=

Re: Where is the SMTP?....
Thanks Darrel! I'm so sad now. I'm just going to have to use Win2k Pro for
now. How does this sound, use MS Virtual PC to install Win2k Pro and use it
as my SMTP server being hosted by Vista?
--
Eric Miller

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Eric,
> Windows Vista does not have SMTP server functionality.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |>From: =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?= <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |>Subject: Re: Where is the SMTP?....
> |>Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:27:00 -0800
> |>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |>I must have asked the question wrong. What I want do is, run my own mail
> |>server the same I did using Win2K Pro, which had the SMTP Server feature.
> |>know about using a mail client to down load email msg's from my ISP.
> |>
> |>So you mean to tell me that Vista only uses software mail clients as far
> as
> |>email is concern? I hope my question is more clear and thanks for the
> |>--
> |>Eric Miller

> mail

> installed. Is