can't install vista

=?Utf-8?B?UEM=?=

can't install vista
Hi I have tried to update from XP to a Vista Home Basic edition and I am
having 3 problems-
1. If I try and upgrade from the the XP desktop and the message I get is-Set
up cannot be done on this version of the OS.
2. I have then tried to run the setup.exe file and the message I get
is-Setup.exe is not a valid win32 application.
3. I then gave up trying to upgrade and tried a clean install and the
message I then get is-windows could not assign a drive letter to a partition
on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for
installation error code 0*80004005.

My computer is vista ready and I have run the windows software and it
confirms that Vista can be installed no problem!

appreciate your help, thank you
Ted Landry

Re: can't install vista
PC <PC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi I have tried to update from XP to a Vista Home Basic edition and I am
> having 3 problems-
> 1. If I try and upgrade from the the XP desktop and the message I get is-Set
> up cannot be done on this version of the OS.
> 2. I have then tried to run the setup.exe file and the message I get
> is-Setup.exe is not a valid win32 application.
> 3. I then gave up trying to upgrade and tried a clean install and the
> message I then get is-windows could not assign a drive letter to a partition
> on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for
> installation error code 0*80004005.
>
> My computer is vista ready and I have run the windows software and it
> confirms that Vista can be installed no problem!
>
> appreciate your help, thank you

geeeesh, get a macintosh next time!

you've been told repeatedly Vista is not the way to go if you want a
working operating system. Macs run OSX, a much more advanced operating
system that RUNS all software since it runs ALL OSes, not just the ones
by the low end Microsoft company.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/
AJR

Re: can't install vista
First - ignore the "rants and raves" of the Ted Landrys - Ted take a bite
of your Apple and be quiet!

PC - You do not say which XP version you are trying to upgrade. If it is XP
pro - XP Pro is considered "higher in the food chain" than Vista Basic - in
which case you need Vista Premium.

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote:

> PC - You do not say which XP version you are trying to upgrade. If it is XP
> pro - XP Pro is considered "higher in the food chain" than Vista Basic - in
> which case you need Vista Premium.

AJR.... why would it matter "what version" of XP?, he should be able to
install on top of "any" version if MS did it correctly.

Why you guys put up with such simple programming errors is laughable.

With OSX, you put any ANY upgrade disk and it will install on top of the
prior version (no matter what version) and bring you up to the latest.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work? or am I missing something?
pete

Re: can't install vista
You're missing something...and it has nothing to do with computers
peter
Rock

Re: can't install vista
"PC" <PC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi I have tried to update from XP to a Vista Home Basic edition and I am
> having 3 problems-
> 1. If I try and upgrade from the the XP desktop and the message I get
> is-Set
> up cannot be done on this version of the OS.
> 2. I have then tried to run the setup.exe file and the message I get
> is-Setup.exe is not a valid win32 application.
> 3. I then gave up trying to upgrade and tried a clean install and the
> message I then get is-windows could not assign a drive letter to a
> partition
> on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for
> installation error code 0*80004005.
>
> My computer is vista ready and I have run the windows software and it
> confirms that Vista can be installed no problem!

What version of XP is on the system. See this link for upgrade paths. The
green dots mean an in place upgrade is allowed, yellow means custom install
only.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

For help with the other error you need to provide more info. What is the
computer and it's configuration, what kind of drives, SATA or PATA, how are
they configured, where is XP installed, where are you trying to install
Vista. What is the video card.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

AJR

Re: can't install vista
Thank you Pete.

"pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> You're missing something...and it has nothing to do with computers
> peter

=?Utf-8?B?TmVsc29uNTE3NDA=?=

RE: can't install vista

"PC" wrote:

> Hi I have tried to update from XP to a Vista Home Basic edition and I am
> having 3 problems-
> 1. If I try and upgrade from the the XP desktop and the message I get is-Set
> up cannot be done on this version of the OS.
> 2. I have then tried to run the setup.exe file and the message I get
> is-Setup.exe is not a valid win32 application.

I Had The Exact Same Problems. Using Win Xp Pro 32 Bit And Tried To Install
Vista Home !!!!
Ya Figure He Makes Millions Of Dollars A Day And This Is The Sh** We Get.
For Some Retarded Reason VISTA Cannot Figure Out What "BOOT FROM CD/DVD"
Means.
I Finally Had To Unplug 6 Hard Drives And 3 DvdRoms And Make Vista Have Only
Two Options For Boot (Hard Drive Or Dvd Rom)
It Kept Booting From HDD >EVEN THOUGH I SELECTED CD/DVD !<
I HAd "Ntldr Missing" Error + "Hal.dll Corrupt " And About 5 Other Messages
Saying There Was An Error. Patience And Time.
You Have To Keep Trying To Get The Stupid Software To Boot From The Disk !
The Errors Are Because It Isn't Booting From The Disk. NOTHING IS CORRUPT OR
MISSING. Vista Is Corrupt.
You Must : Have All The Latest Updates Installed + Run The Vista Advisory
EVEN If You Know Your Pc Is Compatible.
And When it Boots It Will Show You A Blue "Vista " Curtain Type Wallpaper
The Crap Is........It Seems Like Its Frozen But Appears To Be Loading A File
In The Background, Then After A Few Minutes It Will Begin Asking You What You
Want To Install.
Good Luck Bro, Its A Pain In The Arse, But I Love The 3D Icons.

> 3. I then gave up trying to upgrade and tried a clean install and the
> message I then get is-windows could not assign a drive letter to a partition
> on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for
> installation error code 0*80004005.
>
> My computer is vista ready and I have run the windows software and it
> confirms that Vista can be installed no problem!
>
> appreciate your help, thank you

AJR

Re: can't install vista
Thank you Pete!

"pete" <pete@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> You're missing something...and it has nothing to do with computers
> peter

magz

Re: can't install vista

> > 3. I then gave up trying to upgrade and tried a clean install and the
> > message I then get is-windows could not assign a drive letter to a
> > partition
> > on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected

> for
> > installation error code 0*80004005.

Hey I googled and found this page because I got the same error message
as above. I just wanted to inform of the reason I got that message was
because the drive I tried to install Vista on was marked as hidden, can
be done manually or with a bootmanager like GAG. Turned off the option
to hide primary drives with GAG and I could install with no problems.
Booting with rescue disks like Norton Partition magic floppies or
bootable CD should also enable you to unhide drives, though I did it
through GAG myself. Dunno if U did the same misstake as I did ofc, but
thought I'd tell the world, hope it helped someone.

--
magz
magz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22084

http://forums.techarena.in